Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 3, 2004, 7:32 AM   #1

Hello Everyone.
I'm a 17 year-old guy from Karachi, Pakistan. We're finiancially an average family, and our whole monthly household is about $260, which may be surprising for you, but this is enough to pay for me and my 2 siblings' good private school fees and an above average standard of life. Anyway, I have always been interested in photography, and wanted to buy a digital camera. I had no idea of how expensive these would be, I guessed them to be around a 100 dollars or something. So I researched on the internet and found Ultra Zoom cameras to be good for my needs, and fell in love with the Lumix FZ10, but was shocked to see its price of $600. Anyway, from experince, I know, that electronics are muc h cheaper in Pakistan compared with other countries, even though they are not officially released here, maybe because of the taxes and all. So, I went to the biggest electronics market and searched for the camera, but found nothing. This camera in unavailable here. The only Ultra Zoom camera easilly available is Olympus 750C, but it doesn't have the image stablization, which i think is neccessary for an Ultra Zoom. The max. shutter speed is 1/1000 sec., would this be enough to capture sharp images at full 10x optical zoom, handheld? What are your comments about this camera (Olympus C750) and how does it compare with our favourite FZ10? And, do you know any place on the net, or in Houston, Texas, where I can get an FZ10 for... maybe.... $350? And one more question, can you tell me about Ebay? how can one be sure about something for sale on the site works fine? what if it's a fraud? what if the camera is broken or doesn't work? is this site reliable? please comment.
Thanks a lot for reading my long and boring message. I can buy only one camera maximum, and that's why I want it to be perfect, having manual controls and full zoom, which might help me earn some money, and which wud accompany me for many years.
Thanks again,
Rameez Razzak
rameezrazzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2004, 11:16 AM   #2

Try to go to www.bhinneka.com (one of the good online/e-commerce in Indonesia)

I've bought FZ10 from that site last week and it cost about US$530, ... and I see that the FZ10 as a "serious" camera, rather than a "take anywhere" camera.

With FZ10, you can have your cake and eat too !!!

Here is the sample.... (Oil Refinery of Pertamina UP-V Balikpapan, where I work)
Attached Images

JudyIndonesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2004, 11:41 AM   #3

HERE ARE ANOTHER COOL STUFF OF LUMIX FZ10 .....
Attached Files
File Type: zip lumix2.zip (153.4 KB, 226 views)
JudyIndonesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2004, 5:44 PM   #4

Panasonic doesn't market their cameras very well. They are hard to find in stores even here in US. If cost is the objective, I would even look at fz1 which is only 2MP. No manual mode but it's got the same 12x zoom lens with IS. I get very good shots with it. Check my gallery at http://bobbyz.smugmug.comFz1 is available for under $250, my buddy bought it for $200 at local electronics store.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2004, 11:15 PM   #5

Regarding ebay, I suggest that you look at the sellers feedback. Make sure they have at least a 98% positive rating and at least 15-20 in total. Don't buy from a seller that has only one or two feedbacks. Above all, don't send cash. Good luck.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2004, 4:08 AM   #6

Thanks a lot. I also became interested in the FZ1, as it can also be upgraded to FZ2. But I don't fully get it... is this "firmware upgrade" a hardware upgrade, replacing a chip containing the firmware, or can it just be done through a computer with the camera connected?

Another thing I wanted to ask is...

What manual controls won't the FZ2 offer, which FZ10 offers.... and besides manual controls, what qualities might attract a person towards an FZ10, rather than an FZ2? (the .5 inch bigger LCD.... etc)

Thanks a lot....

Rameez Razzak
Old Jun 5, 2004, 9:03 PM   #7
BB

Hello Rameez. We don't usually see to many people from Pakistan on these boards, so welcome!

Regarding Ebay... It is generally not a good place to buy a current model digital camera from. More often than not, the highly desired camera models sell on Ebay for a price higher than what they can be purchased for from a reputable mail order dealer. However, Ebay is a great place to get older, less desired models and acessories. You can find some exceptional deals if you're patient and keep watching for the right deal.

Here are some steps to follow in order to avoid getting ripped-off on Ebay:

1. Check the seller's feedback numbers. I like to see a feedback count of 10 or more and 100% positive. If the seller has done 100's of auctions I will allow them a little more leway, but not much.

2. Check the seller's feedback to see if they have mainly been a seller or a buyer in the past. I perfer to buy from someone who has mostly acted as a seller.

3. If the seller's auctions are recent, check to see the $ value of them. Be weary of sellers who have normally done nothing but sell cheap items and now suddenly offer an expensive item for sale such as a high-end digital camera.

4. If everything looks OK so far, e-mail the seller and ask a few questions about the item. If they don't respond to your questions now in a polite manner, just imagine how responsive they'll be when you complain to them about a broken item they sent you!

5. If anything about the deal makes you feel uneasy, just walk away from it-- there will be plenty of additional auctions to bid on and you'll eventually find the right deal.

FYI, I have never been ripped-off on ebay yet. But I have friends who have. Most of the time they got ripped-off because they were too trusting and didn't treat each seller with a high level of skepticism.
BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2004, 9:16 PM   #8
BB

The cheapest you can currently purchase an FZ10 for in the U.S. is just a hair below $500. I think it is very unlikely you can get one for the $350 you have to spend. I think the FZ1, as many suggest, would be an excellent alternative.

The FZ10 has the following enhancements over the FZ1:

- Higher resolution (4MP instead of 2MP)
- Manual focus ring on lense barrel
- Live histogram
- Hotshoe for adding external flash
- Better movie mode (30fps instead of 10fps)
BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2004, 3:01 AM   #9

Thanks BB!

I would remember those tips now whenver I would use eBay.

I don't care about the live histogram, and can learn to live with a 2MP lesser resolution, but certainly can't settle for no manual focus... so i think i shud stick to FZ10 now, but wud have to wait for the prices to fall...hope panasonic releases a new model instead of a firmware upgrade (lol.. i know u guys are praying for the opposite..)

I'm confused about the "shutter priority" mode, which the FZ2 upgrade offers... what does it mean? is this a manual-shutter-speed-adjustment-mode?

Anyway, thanks a lot.

Rameez Razzak

Old Jun 7, 2004, 10:52 PM   #10

Hi..

I got my FZ10 few months ago..I am in China.but my FZ10 was from Japan electronic chain store "Big Camra". The total cost without SD card is about 435$ as I got big discount by my friend's VIP card. it's nice price I think. The FZ10 is very easy to shoot comparing with my small Canon digi camra. I am satisfied with it.

Hope u can get it in a reasonable price in Pakistan...Good luck!

Ivan78 is offline   Reply With Quote