Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 5, 2004, 12:45 PM   #1

I am noticing after 6 months of family portrait photography with my pan fz10, that i am not getting the same depth of field effect, as with my nikon 35mm at 2.8 aperture. The background is only moderately blurred.

using the blur feature in my ohoto brush editor does not take me far enough & CAN BE LABOROUS TO DO OVER & OVER.

ergo my question:

"any chance there is DEPTH OF FIELD FILTER WHICH BLURS PORTRAIT BACKGROUNDS

Lou Ledda
PAISANO5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2004, 3:48 PM   #2

No filter will do this. If you use aperture priority and set the aperture to maximum, in this case f2.8, you will get the minumum depth of field.

You can put the subject farther from the background to maximize background blur. Cutting out the main image in a program like Photoshop, blurring the backgrounf and pasting the shrap foreground back in the imate is a very hard way to do it:-)
gerryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2004, 6:09 PM   #3

small camera sensors have more dof even with 2.8 than with a 35mm, what you can do is.. what gerryf said and get closer to the person, the closer you get the smaller the dof is, but i dont know how it works with the zoom, try diferent setups.
Frederico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2004, 6:32 PM   #4

Frederico wrote:
Quote:
small camera sensors have more dof even with 2.8 than with a 35mm, what you can do is.. what gerryf said and get closer to the person, the closer you get the smaller the dof is, but i dont know how it works with the zoom, try diferent setups.
FEDERICO;

I appreciate your suggestion but i'm a bit confused. .

Also i found that when i get to close there is a distortion of the subject

furhter away 70 to 100 zoom i get a more pleasing & naturaaaal shot

what do you think? a tradeoff?

lou

lou

Old Jun 5, 2004, 9:01 PM   #5

Your observations are correct Lou. Use in the neighborhood of 70-100mm for portraits. Using 35mm might distort the persons features. Use a longer zoom, wide aperture (lower number), and stand back a little from your subject to get a greater DOF. There are filters that blur the perimeter of the frame leaving the center sharp.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2004, 10:06 PM   #6

Guerito wrote:
Quote:
Your observations are correct Lou. Use in the neighborhood of 70-100mm for portraits. Using 35mm might distort the persons features. Use a longer zoom, wide aperture (lower number), and stand back a little from your subject to get a greater DOF. There are filters that blur the perimeter of the frame leaving the center sharp.

GUERITO;

THANKS FOR YOUR CONFIRMATION.

I WOULD LIKE TO BUY ONE OF THOSE FILTERS NAY LEADS ON WHERE I CAN GET ONE MODEL NO.'S MGR'ERS ??

THANKS LOU

Old Jun 5, 2004, 10:07 PM   #7

<<<Your observations are correct Lou. Use in the neighborhood of 70-100mm for portraits. Using 35mm might distort the persons features. Use a longer zoom, wide aperture (lower number), and stand back a little from your subject to get a greater DOF. There are filters that blur the perimeter of the frame leaving the center sharp.>>>

Don't you mean a LESSER dop ?

lou

Old Jun 5, 2004, 11:55 PM   #8

It's not exactly distortion. Our mind's image of people is as they look from a distance, so that when the camera is close we don't like the effect.

Depth of field is a function of the actual physical aperture of the lens and of the resolution of the sensor. Since digital sensors have lower resolution than film, and they are smaller than film (making thelens smaller for the same f number) so digital cameras generally do exhibit greater depth of field than film cameras.
gerryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2004, 2:59 AM   #9

<<<<It's not exactly distortion. Our mind's image of people is as they look from a distance, so that when the camera is close we don't like the effect>>>>

NOT EXACTLY - I TAKE CLOSE UP PORTRAITS WITH MY ZOOM AT 100MM THAT LOOK GREAT LIKE I WAS STANDING 3 FEET AWAY

MAYBE IT'S NOT DISTORTION BUT WHEN I TAKE THAT SAME PHOTO AT 3 FT AWAY THE SUBJECT & PHOTO DO NOT LOOK AS GOOD. WORSE HAPPENS WHEN I USE WIDE ANGLE.

LOU