Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 5, 2004, 7:51 PM   #1
BB

I just bought a Sunpak 383 flash off e-bay for $40 and am quite impressed with how much it has improved my FZ10's indoor shots.

Being able to adjust the flash to bounce off the ceiling makes a huge difference. With the FZ10's built-in flash, you had to be really close to the subjects and the final result would often have that deer-caught-in-headlights look. With the 383 using bouch flash, it looks like a bright day in the room with very natural light. My typical indoor shots have gone from being just so-so to very good (even outstanding at times!)

Also, I recall someone on here saying they didn't like how the Sunpak 383 looked funny sitting on top the FZ10. I couldn't disagree more! The large blocky look of the 383 matches the solid-block look of the FZ10 quite nicely. It's a startlingly professional looking combination!

One question I have for other FZ10/383 owners: Do you make use of the 383's AUTO modes at all or do you stick strictly to using its MANUAL mode? Whenever I use the the AUTO modes, almost always get overexposed shots. However, when I use the manual mode (and experiment with different flash strengths) I can usually get good results without too much trouble. Any thoughts?
BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2004, 1:44 AM   #2

The 383 is awesome! I, too just got one off e-bay and wow, this thing is powerful. I find that the auto mode leaves my pics underexposed at the prescribed setting so I use the red auto setting and open my aperture up an f stop or so--more if you're bouncing. Experiment with it, you'll find the auto function works quite well.
BryanLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2004, 3:11 AM   #3

I forgot to mention when the 383 is in auto mode, I usually put the camera in aperture priority mode and the camera always defaults to 1/60 s.
BTW, I just tried the flash in program mode too and it seems to do a pretty good job when set to the RED auto setting. The other settings seem to underexpose. In program mode my camera always sets f2.8 at 1/60s.

Bryan
Old Jun 6, 2004, 3:24 AM   #4

Okay, all the stuff I said abouve about the red auto setting is with polarizer. The yellow setting seems pretty good without the polarizer, sorry.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 3:24 AM   #5

Okay, all the stuff I said abouve about the red auto setting is with polarizer. The yellow setting seems pretty good without the polarizer, sorry.
Old Jun 19, 2004, 3:23 AM   #6

My flash has an ultimate range of like 50+ feet. I find that in full manual, I can shoot in a dark night club at between 1/800-1/1300 at F6.5-F8.0 and it comes out great. I know they say in a dark environment its the flash that freezes action, but I've seen even 1/60 shots with flash come out a little blurry with movement, so I prefer the faster shutter speeds. I got a handle for my flash because I never liked the fact that a lot of camera manf., including Panasonic, seem to decide there should be no finger room on the left side of the camera. I don't know who decided this is comfortable for camera usage, but they ain't my friend!

MainFragger

http://mainfragger.smugmug.com Warning: The Shock Therapy 2.0 albums contain some adult material DO NOT view them at work, in front of minors, or if you are easily offended.
FZFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2004, 10:43 AM   #7

FZFUN, just curious, when you're taking those shots (fast shutter, large aperture), what ISO are you selecting? Are you selecting it to match the flash?

cageyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 1:01 AM   #8

I generally adjust to ISO 100. And I do generally try to match the ISO setting on the camera.

FZFUN
FZFUN is offline   Reply With Quote