Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 10, 2004, 11:44 AM   #1

I'm considering to upgrade my Olympus C750 to Lumix FZ10. I heard the image quality is superb at low ISO. But I read about the high noise level for pictures taken with ISO higher than 50.

I notice my C750 is quite noisy at higher ISO too...but is the FZ10 really bad? I don't make large prints so does that matter? Also I normally shoots at ISO 50-100.

Besides I just saw the Canon Powershots S1 which is pretty interesting with IS.

Should I keep my C750 or should I get the FZ10. What about the S1?
lightning69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2004, 2:18 PM   #2

Great question. I faced a similar one, except this is my first digicam.

I tried the C765, the FZ10, and the Nikon 5700. I was going to try the S1, but I read of too many problems and saw too many bad pictures. Fortunately, I have friends with the C765 and the 5700.

I think the 5700 had the most consistent photos and certainly the least noise by far, and I leaned toward it. However, my family found the FZ10 simpler, plus I wanted the 12x zoom (versus 8x), and I sometimes shake when taking a photo, so the IS became a necessity.

I did like the Oly as well, but to me, it offered nothing over the FZ10, while the FZ10 has better zoom and the IS. Hence, my suggestion would be the FZ10 or the 5700.
cageyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 8:53 PM   #3

I've used a C750 a little. There's not much difference in image quality between the FZ10 and the C750 unless your problem is camera shake. In fact, I find some of the images I took with the C750 to be better than I can do with my FZ10 even after fiddling with contrast, saturation and sharpness settings. I'm now experimenting based on the idea that the FZ10 overexposes perhaps as much as a full stop in outdoor photos.

That said, image stabilisation is the primary reason I have the FZ10. I just wouldn't want to be without it. It makes the difference between getting the shot and having a blurry mess quite often. The extra bit of zoom doesn't matter to me, but I find the FZ10's manual focus ring very handy.
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 9:00 PM   #4

I forgot to comment on noise...

I always use 50 or 100. There is minimal noise at that level. At 200 you notice it, and at 400 it's awful. Don't use auto or it will pick 400 just to annoy you.

It's also worse all round in low light shots (indoor without flash). Outside it's pretty much nonexistent assuming you use a low ISO.

I've also taken night time long exposure city skyline shots and they look stunning. The FZ10 automatically takes a dark shot to subtract so you get no stuck pixels. I've got one blown up to 8x12 on my wall and the only fault is I wasn't 100% level on my tripod. :-)
Old Jun 10, 2004, 9:15 PM   #5

What about functions. Is the FZ10 a faster cam overall. I hate the slow focus and shutter lag off the C750. Is it better on the FZ10? Does the manual focus on the FZ10 works. The C750 do have manual focus but it just doesn't work!

Can someone post a few pictures to show the noise level at different ISO?

Old Jun 10, 2004, 9:48 PM   #6

Hmm. I don't remember the C750 having lag. I must be more tolerant of this. I know the FZ10 feels quick. Certainly if you have already focused (by half-pressing or by using manual focus) it takes a shot instantly as far as I can tell.

Focusing takes I'd guess about half a second in good light and quite a bit more in bad light. It's never been a problem with a static subject though I've missed a few moving shots because it didn't lock at all. Pre-focusing might be what you want there, and the FZ10 manual focus allows you to do that.

Manual focus on the FZ10 works fine. I remember the C750 manual focus was crap.

Sorry, I'm not set up to post pictures at this time.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 10:29 PM   #7

What about the Jpeg compression of the FZ10. My C750 supports lossless Tiff format but I cannot recall a time when I use it. It is too slow and the file size is just too big.

Would you consider the FZ10 seriously flaw without the raw or tiff file formats?
Old Jun 11, 2004, 1:33 AM   #8

lightning69 wrote:
Quote:
What about the Jpeg compression of the FZ10.* My C750 supports lossless Tiff format but I cannot recall a time when I use it.* It is too slow and the file size is just too big.
Yes, the tiff format on the C750 was too slow to be useful.

Quote:
Would you consider the FZ10 seriously flaw without the raw or tiff file formats?
Serious flaw? No. Minor annoyance.

On the other hand, the best (least compressed) jpeg format on the FZ10 is between the high and super high compressed jpegs on the C750. So far, that has not been a problem to me.
Old Jun 11, 2004, 10:33 AM   #9

anomaly, good info

I still haven't figured the manual focus out yet, especially in less-than-bright circumstances. I've tried with and without the manual assist, and I just can't really tell.

One way I have used the manual assist a few times is for focus lock. That works very well.

I'd say I have two issues with the FZ10 (but I still like it; I just wish these could be addressed better):

1. no "infinity focus" - I'm a novice to photography, so maybe there are ways around it. For example, I wanted to focus on the cloud-shrouded moon the other night, and focus simply would not lock. I think an infinity focus would help?

2. indoor shots are very poor, worse than the Oly and much worse than the Nikon. However, I think I've found a solution. I tried out a Sunpak 383 external flash (thank goodness for the hot shoe), and really liked the results. No more noise, great pics. In fact, I ordered my own Sunpak 383 right after that.

Still, I think every camera will have some eccentricity - part of the key is to find one whose eccentricities bother you least, and which has the features you want. For me, in 2004, that was the FZ10. For one friend, it was the Nikon 5700; and for yet another, it was the Oly C765 (I think the C770 would be a great camera, too). Heck, I have three friends who love their Fuji S5000!
cageyman is offline   Reply With Quote