Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 16, 2004, 4:35 PM   #11

Commie, you should know that the C-210 does not have front threads. You will need to epoxy a filter (you can remove the glass if you like), to the front of the lens in order to fit the TCON-17. Epoxy can cause the lens to fog over time. Also, on my FZ1, the C-210 is only usable at full zoom and f2.8, otherwise I get vignetting. Fred's examples look very good though.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 6:37 PM   #12

Considering the 18mm diameter of the rear lens (50mm dia front) and the general lightness and sort of casefreeness of the construction, the c210 at $40 is anexcellentdeal for use with the fz1. I dont get vingnettinguntil below10x zoom in good light. I'musing a yoshida 295 adapter. I wouldn't recommend this set up using the supplied fz1 plastic adapter. Get a yoshida or a pemaraal (pending). Also use a metal 55-52mm step down ring. The weight of thetcon17 is going to put some stress on those rear connections. If your just using the c210 alone you can get away with the stock plastic adapter and step ring.
I didn't find it neccessary to use epoxy glue to connect the dummy 55mm filter to the front of the c210. You can almost press a 55mm filter in the front end. Just slightly file the metal male thread of the dummy filter and jam in it in there. I've had no problem. Of course, this is a two-handoperation - you will need to treat thecontraption with of love and care. Dont go around crashing through trees and expect therig stay together.
One of the nicest things you get is using the tcon17 alone on the fz1.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 1:05 AM   #13

I do have a Yoshida Fred. I find it interesting that you can zoom down to 10x and not get vignetting. My brother also has the same setup and gets the same results as me. Even at full optical zoom, if I have the shutter closed down even a little, I still get some vignetting. I have been tempted to press-fit a 55mm filter in the front of the lens barrel, (I've already done so on my TCON-17 using a 77mm so that I can use a lens shade), but I don't feel confident that the friction alone would support the weight of the TCON-17. You are right about the C-210 being a good value at $40, and I just love the built-in hood. I wish all ofmy lenses had one.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote