Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 17, 2004, 6:26 PM   #21

Not that I even need to reply :lol:, but since RAW is not an option, I would prefer a lower compression JPEG. I've dealt with TIFF before. It's too big (11MB), and too slow.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 6:38 PM   #22

While I think raw is always the best storage format for digital capture, adding a raw plugin, raw decoder, raw viewer app, etc would be too much to bite off at this time and take away from the camera's "fun-factor."

A jpeg with minimal to no compression (SHQ) would be best and easiest to implement.

I have use the old Oly C-Series with tiff and it made the camera unusable after two shots.

All digital labs I know can handle jpegs, but few consumer labs in this area can handle tiffs.
bosleyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 8:10 PM   #23

Frederico wrote:
Quote:
tiff please, even if it produces huge files it's better than a compression quality loss format.
I'm the opposite! Although I can see the theoretical advantage of using tiff, the file sizes are enormous, so shots take ages to write to the card and they fill it up too fast. I know I'd really like to be able to take just a few tiff shots on my FZ10 to work out if some image flaws I see are due to jpeg compression, but once I had my curiosity satisfied, that would be the end of tiff usage for me. Certainly the tiff capability on the Olympus C750 fell in this category as it is just far too slow to be useful.

So, I'll take a super low compression JPEG thanks, something I can use as my default image setting. I.E. no more than twice the file size of current fine jpegs. Even better if we get to set the compression percentage directly in the menus!

PS While we are asking for potential firmware updates, my first desire is faster panning in playback mode when zoomed in. It's just soooo sloooowww! This one annoys me every time I use the camera.
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 8:33 PM   #24

hmm you probably right, tiff is all good but can slow the cam down to hell and fill up cards faster, jpg with the less compression possible would also make no grand diference. i guess i would like both:1
Frederico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 9:43 PM   #25

I'd vote for low to no JPEG compression. I think it would make the transition seamless. I'm not sure how much more bang for the buck the TIFF would be.
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 10:04 PM   #26

Sorry, but no Jpeg compression = Tiff
Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 10:13 PM   #27

With the high speed Panasonic and Sandisk Ultra II SD cards write speed is 10MB/sec so they can be used very well with Tiff format I think.

Raw would be great ........
Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 10:47 PM   #28

Lower compression jpeg plaese. TIFF is unusable.
jack scholl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 12:24 AM   #29

I would prefer RAW but that is not an option. So i would go for Low compresion JPEG seem that one would be able to use it more often than the TIFF.

aghauri
aghauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 12:28 AM   #30
ET

I would definitely prefer very low compression Jpeg. As long as it's just 4Mp camera images larger than A4 cannot be printed with decent quality anyway, and at this size printouts from Tiff and low compression Jpeg will be indistinguishable. However with current Jpeg level (lower compression) quality degradation is very noticeable. I also assume that recording to card time will be about 10 times longer with Tiff and previewing with zoom will become a torture (unless Panasonic adds small thumbnailsjust for previewing purposes - the way it's done in many other brands).
ET is offline   Reply With Quote