Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 18, 2004, 4:37 AM   #1

Quoted from bytesector.com:

Lens / Image Quality
Getting right into it! It's horrible; the image quality is not what I expected it to be at all. I have not seen such overexposed pictures ever in my life. After taking a look at this camera, I don't think Panasonic should make another digital camera at all. They should leave that up to the camera experts such as Canon and Konica Minolta.

Why do I hate the image quality? I will simply show you why. A lot of the images I took were either overexposed or they were underexposed and dull. The images that were overexposed had a fair bit of noise in them and were too bright.

For for review please go to http://www.bytesector.com/data/bs-article.asp?ID=289

Can anyone here with FZ10 give their opinions on the over exposure of shots taken on the FZ10 as I was about to purchase one for myself. But if that is true..then.... I might want to look elsewhere!!!
lightning69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2004, 4:49 AM   #2

I was just looking on the link you gave and there is an update near the top of the pageasking viewers to ignore the review as they were using a defective camera and are waiting for another one to review. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 5:11 AM   #3

How could I miss that....sorry!
lightning69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 5:31 AM   #4

Have you read Steve's review. I don't know much about this camera as i'm new to them myself but it looks like a good camera to me. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 6:35 PM   #5

lightning69 wrote:
Quote:
Quoted from bytesector.com:

Lens / Image Quality
Getting right into it! It's horrible; the image quality is not what I expected it to be at all. I have not seen such overexposed pictures ever in my life. After taking a look at this camera, I don't think Panasonic should make another digital camera at all. They should leave that up to the camera experts such as Canon and Konica Minolta.
The over-exposure issue is a real one. It happend to me ever since the first day of shooting. However, it is not a lens problem nor an image quality problem. Instead, it is the multisegment meter to blame. Panasonic has a poorly designed mutisegment meter. Period. Switching to spot focus/metering and using exposure compensation will solve the problem completely. Keep in mind that many people who complain about exposre forget the fact that light meters are calibrated at the 50% grey level. If the light measuring area contains mostly light (resp., dark) color, the image will be underexposed (resp., overexposed). This is particularly true. See the Exposure Compensation page of my Coolpix 4500 for some details.

CK

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam

Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700 User Guide

shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 7:11 PM   #6

Looking at Steve's sample photos I don't think they are overexposed. There are a couple with white boats that didn't overexpose and a few with a bright sky and clouds. The one with the boat at a house dock and the little cumulous clouds has excellent exposure with a lot of texture in the clouds some cameras would burn out more. I think Steve uses default auto exposure settings for his sample shots.

I have had one since before Steve did his review and haven't had exposure problems. I carried the habit over from my D7i to always have the histogram in the viewfinder and refer it to the scene. I make an EV correction if it isn't right. I also tend to use spot metering more than most with all of my cameras. I pre-meter on various parts of the scene in spot, which sort of brackets both my exposure and white balance in a way I control.

The FZ10 is about 9 on a 10 scale of klunky to use with no manual controls, but everything you need is there – albeit with some hassle screwing with menus. I haven't gotten particularly overexposed shots when I just grab something with area metering.

It doesn't say too much for Panasonic's quality control that they are putting out bad cameras. And it doesn't say too much for their smarts that they are sending bad cameras for testing.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 7:31 PM   #7

I've had my FZ10 for about 2 months now and have never had a problem with over-exposure.
Backfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 8:20 PM   #8

Leave the reviewing of camera's to the professionals, I don't even bother to read one in a PC magazine.
Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2004, 12:34 AM   #9

shene wrote: Keep in mind that many people who complain about exposre forget the fact that light meters are calibrated at the 50% grey level.

Not true...18%.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2004, 3:26 AM   #10

Guerito wrote:
Quote:
shene wrote: Keep in mind that many people who complain about exposre forget the fact that light meters are calibrated at the 50% grey level.

Not true...18%.

Guerito, Let me clarify this issue. The 50% grey level is the actual intensity and the 18% is the reflectance. In other word, a 50% grey level*NORMAL* object reflects 18% of the incoming light. Is this clear enough? Moreover, this 18% number is also questionable because there is no standard for light meter manufactures to follow. Some may use 12% while some may use 15%. So, the use of the so-called mid (i.e., 50%) -grey is the safest way to get the matter right.

CK
shene is offline   Reply With Quote