Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 23, 2004, 1:14 AM   #11
ET

This is kind of offtopic but I'm really curious. This is a picture that I consider the best night shot I've ever seen (even disregarding panoramic view):

http://dura.cell.free.fr/home/images/parisbynight.jpg

Unfortunately, there is no EXIF information available. WouldFZ10 be able to make similar quality picture? If not, which camera would?

P.S. My only hope is that there is a problem with my camera...
ET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 1:55 AM   #12

ET wrote:
That's a nice picture. I'm not sure I could match it, lacking the subject material and all. But I could go close with a picture of some office buildings at night that I took across the river here.

If you could point me at a free picture hosting site, I could upload one. (I don't think I'm interested in doing online albums like some of you guys.) I also don't do any post processing of any sort, so there won't be any surprises there.

By the way, I also struggle to get repeatably good performance from my FZ10, but as I learn more of the manual features, I get better. I know it's capable of good stuff as some of the images I've taken are stunning (even when blown up to 8"x12"). I'm starting to think that the faults of the FZ10 lie mostly in the "auto" stuff, in metering and focusing.
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 8:39 AM   #13

One more point I'd like to make...

When composing any photo, pay special attention which focus mode you use and where the focus target is placed. This is particularly important if Spot mode is used. Placing the focus target on a solid (detail free) object can easily result in a poorly focused image. A solid wall or solid colored curtains offer virtually no detail to focus on.

When photographing people I always use "Spot" mode and place the target directly on the eyes. Use focus lock, or better yet manual mode, and you should be very happy.

When we view any photo of people, unconsciously we look at the eyes first. If the eyes are soft, the image will usually be deemed unacceptable regardless of how sharp the rest of the image is. I've know this fact and at the PMA show it was one of several tips that Bruce Dale shared with those he spoke with.

Another tip is to use a small monopod. Even though our OIS does a very respectable job, even 1-2 pixels of motion blur can soften an image. A monopod is now one of my standard accessories I carry. Hope these tips help some of you.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 8:48 AM   #14

ET,

I couldn't open the night photo link, but I do have a decent hand-held night photo on another thread. I'm sure it doesn't rival the best night shot you've seen but I was happy with it.

It is large because I was showing a couple full-sized images.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...38&forum_id=23

srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 5:02 PM   #15
ET

srvsd wrote:
Quote:
ET,

I couldn't open the night photo link, but I do have a decent hand-held night photo on another thread. I'm sure it doesn't rival the best night shot you've seen but I was happy with it.

It is large because I was showing a couple full-sized images.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23
Please try to open it. Link works fine - I just checked it. It's unbelievable how great this picture is. But, unfortunately, I suspect it was done with an old good "analog" 35mm camera and scanned afterwards. I just can't imagine DSC is able to do this - unless I'm psychologically biased because of my own bad experience.

Thanks!
Old Jun 23, 2004, 6:03 PM   #16

It's a 360 degree panorama composed of 10+ shots, the FZ10 will have no problem producing this provided it's mounted on a tripod and kept at ISO 50.

Klaas

Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2004, 4:19 PM   #17
ET

What confuses me is that I couldn't notice any noise at all there. FZ10 has acceptable amount of noise at ISO50 but it's still quite visible especially in low light conditions or on dark objects.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 5:04 PM   #18

ET, if you want noise free images you will need a full size CMOS/CCD DSLR camera, small sized CCD cameras with high MP will always give you some noise. I think the noise level of the FZ10 at ISO 50 and 100 is very acceptable compared to other cameras in it's class.

Klaas Bloem
Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2004, 2:06 AM   #19
ET

I tried again, and again, and again. I could get pretty decent pictures colorwise but could not geteven a single picture in perfect focus. I tried autofocus, manual focus, spot mode,smallest aperture (1/8 ), etc. And, if I set sharpness to "low" it's painful to look at the pictures - feels like they made with focus-free camera. I give up.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 10:34 AM   #20

ET,

I'm convinced that there's nothing anyone can do to change your mind so you might as well sell it or return it. But for the sake of people who make camera decisions it would be nice to see what your best imagesare along with your complaints. I don't know how many FZ-10's are out there, but judging by posts and responses on this and other sites(OnlinePhotographers.com, dpreview.com) most owners are very happy. My guess is that either

1. You have a defective camera OR

2. Your expectations can only be met by a DSLR

If you are satisfied by the quality of other FZ-10 photos posted on various sites, then you really narrow it down to the first option. A defective camerea could certainly explain your troubles.
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote