Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 28, 2004, 12:50 PM   #21

Can you post some links to pictures that you think should have come out better than they did? That would help us decide whether or not the FZ10 is capable if what you're trying to do.
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2004, 8:52 AM   #22

I'm still willing to receive a few of his photos so I can offer my opinion. I'd like to receive 2-3 originals (nor resized or renamed). PM me if interested.

Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 8:04 AM   #23

Hi All...

I just got my fz10 and i am wondering how to check for defects.
So far, all candid shots are hopeless. I managed to get some OK shots with tripods and some manual adjustments.
Are all fz10 users who took candid shots got this problem?

dachshund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 8:31 AM   #24

Here's some of the unprocessed shots i've just taken 5 mins ago... all with Program mode and Auto Focus without any manual adjustments.

http://www.vampiredust.org/fz10/

i need feedback and comments please... cause i feel like there's something wrong with the camera and need to exchange it before it's too late.

thanks in advance.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 9:07 AM   #25

I took a quick look at several photos, manyof which were shot without a flash, often exposures that are a bit too long for being hand held. I don't think anything is wrong with the camera - just the way it's being used.

One shot of what appears to be the light on a ceiling is a good case in point. The bright light will cause the iris to shut down producing a very dark back drop.

Just curious, what camer were you using previously?

Take a few shots outdoors and post those.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 11:11 AM   #26

this is the first time i used panasonic camera.
i've used canon s330 and s45.
i forgot to mention that i am a beginner in photography.

more images uploaded.. with flash(some of them) this time. i put it on new directory which is called "new"
i still think the noise is a bit too high, don't u reckon?

up to now, candid shots are still very hard for me to take..i always lost the moment to capture coz the focusing isn't there yet.

please take a look again at http://www.vampiredust.org/fz10/new/

i really hope nothing is wrong with the camera. i prefer it to be my noobieness...

i've also just tried the burst shots under low lights and they were horrible. lol...

could u give comments or how to for some of the photos please?
thanks...

when they have new firmware (if they ever be), would we be able to upgrade it ourself?
Old Jun 30, 2004, 12:14 PM   #27

There is nothing wrong with your camera. Look at photo #233. You shot that at approximately 80mm equivalent focal length and 1/4 second. Without stabilization you would have to shoot at 1/80 second to get a sharp shot if you have good technique. Stabilization is worth about 2 f-stops conservatively. That means with the stabilization on you could shoot at 1/20 second. You are expecting more than 4 f-stops of improvement with stabilization and it just isn't going to happen. Look at the next shot (234) where you used flash. The shot is sharp and properly exposed.

The FZ10 will take shot #233 as well as anything you can buy short of a DSLR with a very expensive lens – and even then that shot without flash would be problematic. Any prosumer camera without stabilization won't do nearly as well. You are just expecting too much of the camera.

There are some flash shots that aren't focused properly. Indoors you have to push the shutter halfway and wait for a focus lock. Sometimes you have to focus on something with better light and contrast the same distance from the camera– the difference in ambient light won't make any difference with the flash.

If you are shooting indoors without a flash because you don't like the harsh light and shadows from the flash, you can use an inexpensive flash unit on that camera which allows you to bounce the flash. You might consider getting a flash unit for it.

If you are planning on selling the FZ10 and buying something that would have taken shot #233 without flash you are in for a disappointment unless you are planning to spend big bucks on a DSLR and some expensive lenses.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 12:29 PM   #28

thx for the deep insight.

i love the camera and i don't plan to sell the camera at this stage coz i know there's a lot of tweaking to learn before being able to get shots. so if i can make sure that the camera is fine, then i can concentrate on learning how to take good shots instead of blaming the camera... :-)

basically, i just want to make sure nothing's wrong with the camera... coz i bought it in HK.

with flash on, im quite happy with the results altho i still feel there's a bit of noise at ISO 50.

http://www.vampiredust.org/fz10 and http://www.vampiredust.org/fz10/new
are available for feedbacks... more comments from ppl would be much appreciated...

thx guys...
Old Jun 30, 2004, 1:36 PM   #29

dachshund, I bought an external flash (Sunpak 383) and usually bounce it, and I like the results.

I still use the internal flash, but it's not intuitive to me yet. Some pictures are blown out, others are too dark (usually the former, though. But you know you can adjust the flash intensity, right? Doesn't help for the impromptu candid shots, but I figure once we learn settings by practicing, we'll be more ready for future candid shots.

As for noise, I do find it has more noise than, for example, a Nikon 5700. However, I have three caveats for that:
  1. using my external flash (and internal, too), I seldom get noise at 50 or 100 ISO[/*]
  2. outside, I rarely get noise (though I will see it in some shadows/dark areas)[/*]
  3. when printed or viewed at full screen (rather than original size), the noise doesn't show up
[/*]
Good luck getting to know the camera. I've tried a few others, and I think any camera would require practice, but that the potential with this camera is incredible.

cageyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 5:27 PM   #30

Dachshund,

I agree with the other's comments. The shots with the flash are certainly better. I switched from a Coolpix 4300 and would usually forget to pop up the flash. I was used to the flash firing automatically.

You'll have to experiment a little, but shot 292 looks fine to me. It is in portrait mode which is supposed to blur the background compared to the subject. But the picture looks fine to me. It would look pretty sharp as a 4x6.
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote