Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 22, 2004, 12:39 PM   #1

Here it is i've been reading this forum for 4 months included dpreview, and i get more confused everyday i think i have the camera i am going to buy.....

So here goes, i Would like to get a long zoom stabalized camera. I plan to use the camera in the near future for outdoor archetecture and landscape shots on my europian vacations....then i can see a family(kids arriving in the next 3 years) and using the camera indoors for family shots.

So with that said, i was set on the canon S1 IS, then i hear bad pictures indoors no assit lamp, now i am hearing the same on the FZ10, which is better overall then the S1 IS....so what do i do?

Can you take decent building shots and landscape with lets say a 3 to 5x optical zoom and still be able to see the details, or will it look like the shot is 10 miles away...

It seems to me that any indoor pictures should have a camera with autofocus assit lamp? I am new to digital, but i've learned a great deal the past 4 month, but i want a camera i don't have to fuss with a bunch of settings, especially those once in a lifetime kid shots and landscape, archetecture shots....

What do I do, seriously, is the assit lamp thing a must have in my case?

I appreciate everybody's input on this

Thank you

Belz from canada
Belz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2004, 12:58 PM   #2

Everyone has different opinions, but I'll tell you mine. I love my FZ-10 but it can have trouble getting AF correct in low light. The big question is "what exaclty is low light?" I can't tell you exactly but I shot many photos of my kids (age 2 and 5) and I think they turn out well. When the ISO gets to 200 or 400, there is noticeable noise so I try to keep it 50 or 100. In other cases, changing the white balance can help. I think a camera's response time may be more important when photographing kids.

There are plenty of people with photo albums online that show excellent photos with the FZ-10. Some exposure problems can be helped with an external flash. Cameras without high zoom don't extend much beyond the range of their flash.

Here are some photos at Dave and Buster's in Chicago. I used the built-in flash only. This is a pretty dark arcade and I think they came out pretty well given the lighting. Nothing artistic about them but typical family photos.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4286700927
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 2:12 PM   #3

thanks srvsd. i looked at the first photo, later tonight i will login that site and view the rest...the first one isaw seemed good to me....so i take it you manually set iso to 50 or 100 and learn how to white balance it in indoor conditions......

Hopefully i can get many more answers on this question, including if this much zoom is needed for what i want to do, also if Auto focus lamp indoors is all's that it's cracked up to be....

Maybe i am reading too much between the lines, but with 1000, plus dollars going into this purchase including all the extras, it is important that i get the right one, for my needs....i still think with the hot shoe and better lens and more megepixils this camera will suit me better indoors then the S1 IS....

so how much zoom do i need?

thanks

:?
Old Jun 22, 2004, 6:02 PM   #4

Don't get me wrong, I would love for this camera to have a focus-assist lamp. So I just have to work around it a little bit. This isn't unique as other similar cameras (Nikon 5700, Fuji S7000, Minolta Dimage A1, Olympus C-750) also don't have a focus-assist lamp. Only the Sony's (like F828 ) generally have this.

This doesn't directly answer your zoom question, but I don't ever wish I had less zoom. I even have a Olympus TCON-14B 1.4X tele lens for more zoom. Anything over 6X or so probably does better with an image stabilization system. So the new Canon, the FZ-10, and the Dimage are the ones that come to mind with long zooms and IS.

Although you don't have kids yet, I found the burst modes on the FZ-10 to be great for photographing kids. With 5 shots over 1-2 seconds you are bound to get at least one keeper. I'll try to link a few full-sized photos because the pictures on Imagestation aren't as big or sharp as they really should be.
Old Jun 22, 2004, 9:26 PM   #5

sure post so full size links, i will look into the sony, just to see what it's about, also it seems that all big zooms don't have assist lamps, must be a reason, but you say that it's easy to get around right.....

thanks

Old Jun 22, 2004, 11:02 PM   #6

Belz,

Here are a couple of full-sized photos. Wow, they are huge. The first one is a building in Indianapolis at night and the second is my daughter at high zoom. No processing.

Old Jun 23, 2004, 10:34 AM   #7

Holy cow! Now I wonder if something is wrong with my camera! My pics are nice, but they always - always - have noise, and yours are clear. Even in day shots, in the dark areas, I see plenty of noise.

Excellent pics there!!
cageyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 12:21 PM   #8

Hi Cageyman,

Here you can see some of my photo's:

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/view...0&bm=31466

These pictures are representative for the quality of my FZ10. If yours have more noise maybe you can contact me and send me a full size example with exif info?

Maybe I can help you.

Klaas Bloem
Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 12:36 PM   #9

excellent pictures, srvsd and klaas, so it seems that you need to know how to use the camera to take good to above average pictures.....

I've looked at the sony f828, this is out of my price range, and review on image quality isn't that great, but the f717 fits my budget, but only 5X zome...uhmmmm

this is getting harder, the assit lamp on sony seems to make it easier, and not have to fuss, but on the other hand if i can figure out the fz10 perhaps i can remember it and be able to use no problems after sitting for 3 months...does anybody else have any comments....

fz10 or cannon s1 IS, sony F717 ?????/

any others to throw in there, like coolpix maybe too eh!

still searching and trying to make my mind up

thanks

Old Jun 23, 2004, 1:11 PM   #10

You really want stabilization for a long zoom. It lets you handhold in a lot more situations, both at long telephoto and wider angles. There are advantages both to the S1 and FZ10. I have a wide format printer and 4Mp isn't really enough, so the S1 wouldn't be as appropriate for me. It is a good camera if you don't need the Mp.

IMO you need a flash attachment for a FZ10. The flash is sufficiently weak that you are limited without one to high ISO shots in many situations. That isn't all bad. You can get an inexpensive automatic unit that will take better pictures than any built-in flash.

Mine has an assist lamp. Campmor.com was blowing these off for $6 and I was ordering some other things. It has an on/off switch rather than momentary. Momentary switches can be a hassle. It lets me focus out to at least 12 feet in total darkness.

I put it on with a very sticky putty so I can change the batteries. But if you just use it as a focus assist it will probably outlast the camera with the batteries that are in it. It shuts itself off after a minute, so you won't accidentally run the battery down. The batteries are rated for 12 hours, but they start getting dim sooner. I was pleased with the brightness – it is at least as bright as my Photon, and those are rated as the brightest of the small one LED lights.
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote