Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 25, 2004, 9:57 AM   #1

I normally download pictures from my FZ1 by placing it in playback mode and then powering the camera on while attached via USB. The other day I powered the camera on while it was in "normal" record mode and Windows XP detected my camera as a different piece of hardware. asking for new drivers. I read somewhere 9can't remember where) that it was possible to play video images to the TV with the FZ1. Is it possible to do somethign similar and use it as a web cam over the computer? Has anyone ever heard of such?
JinE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2004, 7:20 PM   #2

JinE wrote:
Quote:
I read somewhere 9can't remember where) that it was possible to play video images to the TV with the FZ1. Is it possible to do somethign similar and use it as a web cam over the computer? Has anyone ever heard of such?

I hope this does not sound rude, but why in the world would you want to use your FZ1 as a web cam? Web cams cost less than $20 (US$), so if you want a web cam, go out and get one for $20. Your FZ1 is a serious DigiCam, designed to be a serious piece of photo equipment. Treat it as such.
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2004, 1:08 PM   #3

ok ....but imagine what you could do with a FZ10 and a trackerpod....fully remote pan and tilt and 420 mm zoon + possibility to take highres pictures on an sd card....

would be hard to find for 20$

Sorry for my english
tuwalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2004, 2:29 PM   #4

I guess I need to be a little more specific.

A DigiCam is not designed to be used as a webcam. The webcam is always taking video (well, only when it is turned on). Your DigiCam's optical equipment was not made to be recording for long periods of time (that's why it's a DigiCam and not a camcorder).

You can search Steve's and you can also search Google for various posts telling you not to use your DigiCam as a webcam.

Like I mentioned above, the webcam is less than $20. If it breaks, well, that's $20 vs. $200+
Old Jun 30, 2004, 9:38 AM   #5

Ahem... There are many situations all over the World where DIGIcams are used as feeds. The resolution from a $20. camera is pretty marginal. I forget the brand of this one...Sony perhaps...but it does a pretty decent job, eh?

Jim

http://www.evs2.video-monitoring.com...ter/zoo001.jpg

....for more specific info, and a South view - google: Jupiter Inlet camera

....and another decent local camera is at: www.kiteloft.com (look for camera link)
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 5:19 PM   #6

Wetstuff wrote:
bad link

Old Jul 1, 2004, 9:04 AM   #7

Hmmmm. Sorry. Here's the homepage. http://evs2.video-monitoring.com/images/jupiter/

The camera they use is an Olympus C-5050. 5meg/3X. I watch this site in the Winter to envy the surfers at the inlet...and then gloat in the Summer because condtions are better here. Cheers.

Jim
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote