Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 29, 2004, 7:06 PM   #11

In burst mode the write speedhas to behigher than 2MB/sec asa 5 shot burst at highest quality settings is written away in 2 seconds with my Sandisk Ultra II.

Klaas Bloem
Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2004, 8:15 PM   #12

i head bad things about sandisk exprienced them too. lexar formats their cards weirdly. STAY WITH PANASONIC. they have some of the better ones, or kingston
memberkgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 9:22 AM   #13

No, because you have an internal buffer. The internal buffer is what limits the number of images you can capture in Burst mode. The images are stored in the camera and written to the card. It's not yet a real time operation.

Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 6:29 PM   #14

I have to disagree, after the 2 sec write time you can take another burst which takes another 2 sec to write to the fast SD card. This can be continued untill the card is full. With normal (slow) SD cards time between bursts is 8 to 10 seconds.

Klaas Bloem
Old Jun 30, 2004, 8:55 PM   #15

Klaas is right on this one. It's been discussed many times before.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 2:16 PM   #16

Steve has used a transcend 45x SD card while testing this camera and says it

's as good as sandisk ultra II and speedy lexar, the above card is 99$US right now at newegg.com

we will see what i do after JUly 20 panasonic show and tell...maybe there will be some sell's on the sandisk during the last week of the month..

belz
Belz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 4:25 PM   #17
Administrator

Belz wrote:
Quote:
ok so the answer is 32x SC card, and stay with the big names, lexar or sandisk, right

thanks for help folks

belz

Nope -- Stay with Panasonic.

Look, the Sandisk "standard" SD cards are slowww

Also, many other "manufacturers" may be using Sandisk Components.

Keep in mind that there are 3 major SD manufacturers: Panasonic, Toshiba and Sandisk.These 3jointly developed Secure Digital.

If you buy another brand, you are probably getting rebranded components from one of the "big 3". In larger sizes, Panasonic's cards are rated at 10mb/second. The smaller cards (<256mb) are slower from everyone.

Personally, I'd go with Panasonic if available. If not, I'd go with Simpletech (their 256mb and 512mb cards are also rated at 10mb/second -- my guess is that they are using Panasonic Components).

As for the new Sandisk Ultra II media (rated at 9mb/second), I personally don't trust it to be as fast (seek times, etc. - not just transfer rate) -- although it's probably much faster than their "standard" cards.

Update:

I searched for benchmarks (I remembered seeing one recently showing that the Panasonic was faster than the Ultra II, but I could not find it).

Guess What? Every test I've found (primarily on PDA related forums, with users running VFS Mark benchmark tests), shows that the new Sandisk Ultra II is faster than the Panasonic or Simpletech SD in larger sizes (256mb, 512mb).

I was surprised, since Sandisk claims a transfer rate of 9mb/second (versus 10mb/second for larger Panasonic and Simpletech SD). Here's an example of some user tests:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/archi...p/t-43111.html

Of course, benchmarks don't necessarily tell the "whole story" -- especially when it comes to how a given card performs in one camera, versus another. A test on a PDA, does not translate to how a card will perform in a given camera model.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 9:04 PM   #18

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Guess What? Every test I've found (primarily on PDA related forums, with users running VFS Mark benchmark tests), shows that the new Sandisk Ultra II is faster than the Panasonic or Simpletech SD in larger sizes (256mb, 512mb).

I was surprised, since Sandisk claims a transfer rate of 9mb/second (versus 10mb/second for larger Panasonic and Simpletech SD). Here's an example of some user tests:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/archi...p/t-43111.html

Of course, benchmarks don't necessarily tell the "whole story" -- especially when it comes to how a given card performs in one camera, versus another. A test on a PDA, does not translate to how a card will perform in a given camera model.

I can assure you the Sandisk Ultra II performs great in the FZ10, 2 seconds write time after 5 shot burst on highest quality, almost instant review.
Old Jul 9, 2004, 9:36 PM   #19
Administrator

Well, part of my bias (against) Sandisk, is the performance of it's "standard" Secure Digital Media. You can find many reports of their Secure Digitalcards failing to work, in a variety of devices.

I've also seen too many reports of file corruption, slow performance, failures of cards to format, etc., with Sandisk's "Standard" Secure Digital Cards.

Heck, up until recently, Konica-Minolta had specific warnings about using Sandisk's larger SD cards in some of their model's compatiblity charts, indicating that the Sandisk Cards may cause the cameras to malfunction.

I own one of the Konica KD-510z cameras (identical to the Minolta G500), so I got lots of questions from other users regarding Memory Cards (as well as lots of problem reports).

In 256mb size, only Toshiba and Panasonic cards are certified to work in this model. In 512mb size, only Panasonic cards are certified to work in this model.

KMrecently removed the specific warnings about Sandisk Secure Digital in the camera models they found problemstrying to use them. Instead, they just don't show Sandisk in the compatibility charts at all for these models now. I suspect that Konica-Minolta got pressured into removing the warnings (but this is speculation on my part).

I have not seen the same types of problems reported from the newer series of Sandisk Media (i.e., Ultra II). So, perhaps they have solved all of the issues.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 10:16 PM   #20

I use a Sandisk 512MB Ultra II in my FZ10. It did fail, but Sandisk sent me a pre-paid FedEx label and had a new one back to me in 1 week. I think I may have found a bad batch by datecode, but that was some time ago. The Ultra II also comes with a lifetime warranty, many cards do not.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote