Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 25, 2004, 12:37 PM   #1

Ok so i see all kinds of SD cards for this camera with different write speeds. What i need to know is what is the fastest speed the camera itself can write, then a corresponding sd card would do fine right?

I am looking at a 512mb card minimum, and so far i see some with 8x,13.65x, 32x and 60x(9mb/sec) write speed .

Of coarse the 60x is the most expensive but do i really need this speed or will 8x do it fine to capture burst speed of camera and all.

thanks for help

Belz:?
Belz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2004, 2:12 PM   #2

I have two SD cards, one is PNY 256MB one that was basically the cheapest I could find. It worked fine, no errors or anything like that. But it is rather slow with burst shots, taking nearly 10 seconds to "recharge" (and 10 seconds can be really long if you need to take another shot again soon). With normal single shot shooting,it if perfectly fine. Butsince I do some sports photography,I wanted something faster. So I got Simpletech's ProX 256MB SD card (got a great deal on it, only $50 or something like that). Now it 'recharges' in about 2 seconds. And shot to shot time is almost non-existant. Since it recharges so fast, you can keep a burst going for a long time, you just have to press the shutter again (sadly holding the button down will not start another burst after the old burst is all written, you have to release and press again).

Plus I noticed vast decrease in the time it took to review pictures on the camera. On my slow card, it would take a couple seconds to read it. With the new card, it is almost instant.

If you plan to do burst shots, I would say32x is the minimum (I believe the ProX is 60x). But if you plan to do mostly single shots, you can save some $$$$ and get a slower card.
If you are unsure, I would go with the faster card, it only costs a little more in most cases. And you will always be ready.

Hope this helps a bit
blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 2:41 PM   #3

Get a Panasonic or SimpleTech they are better qualityand at least as fast as any others at 1-2 sec for burst mode(if not faster). They have a much lower failer rate and ar woth any extra money (if any)
--------------

adder
jjmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2004, 11:59 PM   #4

BEST BEST BEST BEST DEALS RIGHT HERE, the 256 is good and there is a 512 for like double the price
http://shop1.outpost.com/product/3379552
memberkgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2004, 12:22 PM   #5

i live in canada, so that rebate doesn't apply to us canucks yet....

still looking for the answer, or perhaps i need to research thru a review on the camera what is the fastest write speed the camera can do in burst mode....

then perhaps i can cross reference it to the write speed of the SD memory card...if there are any tech's out there that can answer my original question, i would appreciate it.

on another note i finally got to see in my hands the 2 final camera's i was thinking about, the FZ10 and the canon S1 IS. Glad i did see them, my mind is set i am getting the FZ10.

Now need to price out everything in canada and see where would be the best to get things....

anyways, SD speed please, what do i get? 8x, 13.65X, 32x or 60x, which one will do this camera justice...

thanks

belz

:?
Old Jun 28, 2004, 3:51 PM   #6

I think I remember that Panasonic Bob reported when the camera first came out that the most it could write was 5 mb/s which is what the Lexar 32X can handle and that seems to be true as I have the Lexar and the Panasonis and a Simpletech pro and they all seem to write at the same speed after the burst.

Remember it is just what I have noticed and not official.

I also Have a Dane Electric which was marked as 10 mb/s and it is slow. I would advise against one of those.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2004, 8:49 AM   #7

Our write speed is based on the 2 Mb standard, so buying a card that can accept data at higher rates will not give you and better performance. There are some "inexpensive" cards that don't appear to be able to to have data written at the 2 Mb rate, so in that case the "delay" when writing large files would be slightly longer.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2004, 9:42 AM   #8

ok so the answer is 32x SC card, and stay with the big names, lexar or sandisk, right

thanks for help folks

belz
Old Jun 29, 2004, 11:51 AM   #9

Panasonic wrote:
Quote:
Our write speed is based on the 2 Mb standard, so buying a card that can accept data at higher rates will not give you and better performance. There are some "inexpensive" cards that don't appear to be able to to have data written at the 2 Mb rate, so in that case the "delay" when writing large files would be slightly longer.

That's really strange as my Sandisk Ultra II card (9mb/s) is noticeably faster than my Kingston cards (2mb/s), especially in burst mode.
Backfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2004, 1:08 PM   #10

The "standard" for SD is a2 Mb transfer rate. Remember that tthere are three transfer rates you are looking at; read, write, and copy. It may be that with some brands the three are not equal. I can't vouch for other brands but I know ours do meetthe spec.

The speed difference can be realized when you record MPEG2 video with products such as our SV-AV100. With still images there isn't any real advantage for using faster cards if you don't plan using the card for real time video.

The speed you percieve may be skewed by the number of files on the card, the format of the file of file size.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote