Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 28, 2004, 7:30 PM   #1

OK I have narrowed my choices down to the FZ10 or the m410r and now I cannot decide which way to go. I am an extremely amateur photographer looking to take some pics of my new daughter/family pics etc. as well as some action shots of skiing/waterskiing/wakeboarding etc. so the burst multiple shot capabilities as well as the zoom lenses of each are appealing.

Here are the main issues I am debating. Any insight/advice as to which direction I should go would be greatly appreciated.

I like the unlimited multishot functionality of the m410R but hate the fact that it doesn't have IS. Does the fact that it shoots so quickly make the IS more of a non-factor?

I like the IS that the FZ10 has, but don't like the fact that the EVF and LCD freeze during the burst/multi-shot function from reviews that I have read. Is this by design... something that panasonic can fix through a firmware update? How limiting is this freezing to current owners of the FZ10?

Also, any word that Panasonic will be updating the Fz10 in the near future?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies

eblom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2004, 8:10 PM   #2

Eblom,

I can tell you about the FZ-10. The burst mode is nice and the "blackout period" can be reduced but not eliminated by turning off the post-shot review. I suspect it is similar to all EVF's (rather than optical). I'll post some examples based on what you plan to shoot.

1. My son going off a diving board (increased shutter speed to freeze action)

2. My daughter at Navy Pier (high zoom-wish I could get rid of pacifier)

3. My son at Navy Pier (medium zoom)

4. Me on a mogul on an overcast day

There are certainly other threads with complaints with this camera but I love it. It isn't a dSLR but on the other hand I didn't spend $2000 or so to cover that much zoom. The first and fourth shots were taken with burst.

Hope this helps.
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2004, 7:07 AM   #3

eblom wrote:
Quote:
I like the unlimited multishot functionality of the m410R but hate the fact that it doesn't have IS. Does the fact that it shoots so quickly make the IS more of a non-factor?
Burst mode is not a substitute for IS, but a fast shutter speed makes IS unimportant. In other words, if there is lots of light, you don't need IS.

How does this pan out in the real world? I find that I often take pictures where there is not much light, with shutter speeds down as low as 1/4 sec, so I think image stabilisation is a marvelous thing that I wouldn't want to be without. Burst mode, on the other hand, is something I only use occasionally.

Quote:
I like the IS that the FZ10 has, but don't like the fact that the EVF and LCD freeze during the burst/multi-shot function from reviews that I have read.
Indeed it does freeze. This makes it very hard to track a moving object.

Quote:
Is this by design... something that panasonic can fix through a firmware update? How limiting is this freezing to current owners of the FZ10?
I assume there just isn't enough cpu power in the camera to do everything when burst mode is on, so the LCD is left behind. In practice, I've found this quite limiting when I'm trying to use burst mode, but it helps if you know where the object will go, and plan accordingly. I think that with practice I can reduce this limitation to a minor annoyance. Having both the high and low speeds helps a bit too.

Quote:
No hint at all. I believe you should buy what you can see and hold, not what may appear one day.

PS Nice shots, srvsd!
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2004, 6:31 PM   #4

I think the M410r is a nice camera for sports photography, you will need a tripod though. I would never buy a big zoom camera without image stabilizer personally. Also: no full manual control, manual focus and flash hot-shoe. The sample pictures in Steves review didn't impress me.

Klaas Bloem

Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 11:10 AM   #5

Thanks again for all of the great insight. In the end the OIS was the determining factor for me, that and all of the other great features of the FZ10. Special thanks to srvsd for the great pics. Can't wait for my new camera to arrive...

eblom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 7:12 PM   #6

eblom wrote:
Quote:
Thanks again for all of the great insight. In the end the OIS was the determining factor for me, that and all of the other great features of the FZ10. Special thanks to srvsd for the great pics. Can't wait for my new camera to arrive...

You won't regret your decision, good luck with your FZ10!

Klaas Bloem
Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2004, 9:57 PM   #7

if i dont use burst mode how quick is it from one shot to the next? hows the lag?
eric55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 2:47 AM   #8

eblom wrote:
Quote:

Just wait till the 20th July when Panasonic are announcing new cameras. See "love boat" thread here. The fact that models will be available for invitees to the event to play with implies that availability shouldn't be long after either.
lawrencew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 2:49 AM   #9

eblom wrote:
Quote:

WHoops! Seems like my above comment on waiting till the 20th was too late. I am sure you will be very happy wih the FZ10 (just that you might have been happier still....)
lawrencew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 7:16 AM   #10
TC3

I have the M410R and with its fast lense the IS that is missing really isnt much of an issue at all
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote