Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 1, 2004, 10:53 AM   #1

Since we may be going to a fireworks show this weekend (our city always has a great one), does anyone have any tips on photographing them?

I'd assume manual focus, since there's nothing to focus on. I was thinking that maybe I'd "pre-focus" by pushing down on the manual focus when some are exploding.

Also, since the focus may be off, I was thinking maybe f/5.6?

For shutter speeds, what would you recommend? one to four secs?

I plan to just put it on a tripod and keep pressing the shutter button, rather than trying to catch any fireworks.
cageyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2004, 11:20 AM   #2

well...i don't know much about this, but i'm going to try for the fireworks the fourth of july..

i saw one shot with a 15 second shutter...but i'm not sure about the arperture and iso...i'm planning on shooting at iso 50....and 15 seconds...and find the arperture from there....unless it's way too bright (with f8) then i'll change the shutter...

wish i could really help...lol

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2004, 12:18 PM   #3

I went over to the dpreview forums, too, and found some great info over there. I can post a summary here if you want, or you can go over to http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=9357134
cageyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2004, 12:39 PM   #4

nice article/post thingy....

that definetely helps

lol i have something to try, and then play from there..

thanks for posting it!

Vito
Old Jul 1, 2004, 12:57 PM   #5

When I went out and did my fireworks pics I ran into another person who gave me some advice that I am going to try this 4th. She said to use a bulb exposure and keep the shutter open for 2-3 bursts. If you go much more than that it comes out all white. I started off my trying 10 second exposure at f5.6 but that was too much. Found 5 seconds was good but a lot of time I missed a great shot because I could not stop the shutter after a few burst went off and they were all over exposed. Going any lower and you miss a lot of them too. Using a set shutter speed can give you good results but you have to be good on your timing and hope you don't get too many bursts, this because more of an issue durning the finally.

For focusing after I got the camera setup looking where the fireworks would be I set it to auto focus, leaned the camera down to the tree tops at the area they would go off and had the camera auto focus. Then I flipped it over to manual focus so I would not loose that focus point.

You can see the pictures of my first fireworks attempt here:

http://hoeschen.gctci.com/Avon%20Fir...2004/index.htm
choeschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2004, 1:11 PM   #6

hmm....i don't think timing will be a problem if/when you go to a full fireworks show....i mean, they are constantly going off...so you're bound to catch one of them....

Vito
Old Jul 1, 2004, 3:19 PM   #7

photosbyvito wrote:
Quote:
hmm....i don't think timing will be a problem if/when you go to a full fireworks show....i mean, they are constantly going off...so you're bound to catch one of them....

Vito

The problem is if you get too many fireworks as that will overexpose everything else. If you set to a 5 second exposure and you get 5 bursts within that 5 seconds your picture will be overexposed.
choeschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2004, 3:25 PM   #8

There's some tips on shooting fireworks on this link. :-)

http://www.hertz-ladiges.com/modules...age&pid=79
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2004, 3:47 PM   #9

choeschen wrote:
Quote:
Found 5 seconds was good but a lot of time I missed a great shot because I could not stop the shutter after a few burst went off and they were all over exposed. Going any lower and you miss a lot of them too.

You can stop the recording by shoving a non-reflective piece of black paper in front of your lens (or use your hand).

There are some nice firework shots in your album!

Klaas Bloem
Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2004, 7:16 PM   #10

Gee my camera came with a lens blockie thingy, it's round
and snaps into the front threads and was kinda like what
Brady used as a shutter during the Civil War....

I think the manual calls it a "LENS CAP" :lol:
Bulb exposure works also.. just kidding, sorry couldn't resist...

Have a GREAT 4th all.
Greg
Watchin is offline   Reply With Quote