Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 1, 2004, 11:24 PM   #1

When I found the skinny strap on my FZ-10 (I could go on and on about how much I love this camera, but that's another story) to be flimsy feeling and uncomfortable, I decided to fit it for a wider strap. In my case I wanted to use the canvas Nikon straps that fit into the Nikon camera vest, but there are lots of wider straps on the market.

The trick is to find a pair of D-rings (actually triangular in shape) to fit through the holes in the FZ-10 strap attachments. The safest kind are folded around themselves like a paper clip, but the unfolded kind will work if they're of sufficiently stong metal, since the FZ-10 is not at all heavy when compared to the average 35mm SLR.

So I live in a metro area of around 250,000 people, and I figured that finding a pair of D-rings of the right size would not be a problem locally. Wrong-o! None of the local old-fashioned hardware stores, which are usually terrific for hard-to-find stuff, had anything close to small enough. And of course the folks at the big home improvement chain stores looked at me like I had a speech impediment when I uttered the mystical "D-ring" incantation.

I was about to search the web in order to order them by mail ("2 D-rings, 70 cents; shipping and handling, $4.95").
Then it hit me: a luggage repair shop!

Sure enough, my local luggage repair guy searched through his Big Box of Small Parts and came up with a matching pair, in black to match my black FZ-10 yet. Price: "don't worry about it" (I gave him a couple of bucks anyway).

And the bottom line is that my FZ-10 feels much more stable and comfortable hanging around my neck (or around my wrist) by a solid, wide strap. End of story.
Shudderbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2004, 11:35 PM   #2

I bought a new camera strap, an Op/Tech, and it didn't have the rings for the connection. I just recycled the parts (the metal paper clip deal and the plastic covers) from the Panasonic strap. The new strap is neoprene and is much more comfortable. The Panasonic strap was kind of scratchy.
SoOregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 10:20 PM   #3

Next time, instead of a hardware store, try a camera store if there's still one open in your neighborhood. Most will have a rack of small blisterpack items that usually includes the rings you're looking for... round or triangular.

Some of the chain stores... WalMart, KMart, etc. will also have these on the accessory rack.

Hope this helps..

Bob J

nj10user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 10:39 PM   #4

nj10user wrote:
[quote]Next time, instead of a hardware store, try a camera store if there's still one open in your neighborhood. Most will have a rack of small blisterpack items that usually includes the rings you're looking for... round or triangular.

Some of the chain stores... WalMart, KMart, etc. will also have these on the accessory rack.

Hope this helps..

Bob J

Hi, and thanks. There's one good camera store in my neck of the forest (they advertise nationally), and they didn't have 'em; forgot to mention that in my original post.

Hadn't thought about the -Marts. Just for fun, I'll check them out the next time I'm unfortunate enough to find myself in one(g).

Yet another Bob

Old Jul 3, 2004, 9:57 AM   #5

You can also try the Arts & Crafts aisle at your local Wal-Mart or other similar store. I found some nice "keyhole" shaped clips that were sturdy enough to use with my FZ1. and would be for a FZ10, too. I use it on my OEM Panasonic strap since I find the stock attachments to be limiting in mobility and maneuvering of the strap while taking pictures. The clips also allow me to quickly remove the strap and replace it witha handstrap (which I use more often than the neck strap). I bought a pack of like 20 of these clips for probably around $1.00 or something ridiculously low priced.

FYI, I also found little ziplock baggies on the same aisle that are the perfect size for storing the FZ batteries in them. This allows you to store a spare in your pants pocket, external camera bag pocket, etc., and not worry about dust, gunk, rain, etc., getting at the battery. They were about the same price for like 50 baggies, and they fit the battery so nicely it's like they were made for them.

Never underestimate the Wal-Mart arts/sewing department! :lol:

=================

Chris
FZ1Club.com
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2004, 10:35 AM   #6

Thanks for another great reply. I love this place(g).

The neat thing about the Nikon straps is that they're modular. There are three pieces. The two pieces that attach to either side of the camera can clip together (using SERIOUS hardware) for use as a wrist strap, which is my most common configuration. And there's a third piece with clips on both ends that extends the strap assembly to use as a neckstrap when you want to carry hands-free. I suppose there are other makers' straps that are similar, but since I already owned the Nikon setup I didn't shop around for them.

There are also female connectors built into the Nikon vest so that you can clip the two end straps directly into the vest. Unhook 'em from the vest, hook 'em together, and you're back to the wrist strap configuration.

It's a safe and flexible setup, one that I've used on my Nikons for years. One of the Nikons is an F-4 with a date back; it weighs about as much as a Toyota Corolla.

My only complaint with this setup is that the vest is a bit too thick to use comfortably in the midst of summer here in Michigan. Other than that, it's a winner for me, with the usual multiplicity of pockets to lose things in. And I'm good at that.