Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 2, 2004, 7:33 AM   #1

I have used my 15 years old VIVITAR285 ZOOM THYRISTOR flash on many SLRs including my CANON EOS Elan 2, it has consistently out-performed my SPEEDLIGHT 420ex in terms of zoom coverage and exposure. I think it to be the best semi-auto 3rd party flash ever made. On some web forums its trigger voltage was described as a big "con" for using it on AF SLRs for it could "fry" the modern SLRs circuits. Well it never happened to me, but some-one advised me "it doesn't mean it (frying) will never happen to you".

Having elaborated that back-ground, i have ordered F-10 after thoughtful comparison with CAnon G5, Nikon 5700, and Olympus c-5060. One big reason for the order is f-10's 3rd party flash acceptence. I haven't received the box yet and i am asking for any experiance/recommendations regarding its use with VIV 285. I read some where that the f-10's hot shoe can safely handeltrigger volts up 24DCV, if that is correct, i think in theory i will be able to mount VIV285 on its (F10)top 'cause i ve been doing this with Elan2frequentlywhich reportedly permits trigger volts of only 6DCV.......

I read people playing with SUNPAK383 on F-10 and i assume the VIV 285 would live the same way.....but no rooms for assumptions with a USD 500 OUT_CLASS DGCAM...
zaheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2004, 8:54 AM   #2

Zaheer,

I have the Vivitar 285 HV that I use with my FZ10 and it works great. I think there is a differfence in the volvage between the 285 and the 285 HV. The HV has been out for a number of years so you may want to check it out.

John
jtwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 9:02 AM   #3

Zaheer, you can measure the trigger voltage yourself, just switch the flash on and wait untill it's ready. Now you can measure the voltage with a digital multimeter on the flash' hot shoe contacts. Middle contact is +. Some older Vivitars have trigger voltages up to 500 volt!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Klaas
Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 12:09 PM   #4

so would u recommend sunpack 383 flash pack for fz10?
i've never used 3rd party flash before...
:sad:
dachshund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 1:51 PM   #5

dachshund wrote:
Quote:
so would u recommend sunpack 383 flash pack for fz10?
i've never used 3rd party flash before...
:sad:

The Sunpak 383 can be safely used with the FZ10, it's trigger voltage has been measured between 3 and 10 volt.

Klaas
Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 2:09 PM   #6

, getting sunpack 383 then
can't wait...
dachshund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2004, 12:41 PM   #7

This suggests you might have too high a voltage on the 285:
http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

I got a 285 HV for the extra range of the zoom. It is a bit bulky but works fine.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote