Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 2, 2004, 12:52 PM   #1

Hello please I don´t know which are the differernces between mode 1 and mode 2 stabilizator in my FZ10, please can you clear me it.

Thanks
faca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2004, 1:12 PM   #2

Mode 2 only does stabilization in the vertical plane.

This is so you can do panning shots where you are deliberately moving the camera in the horizontal plane. e.g. to shoot shots where you follow a fast moving car and want the background blurred
lawrencew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 2:14 PM   #3

lawrencew wrote:
Quote:
Mode 2 only does stabilization in the vertical plane.

This is so you can do panning shots where you are deliberately moving the camera in the horizontal plane. e.g. to shoot shots where you follow a fast moving car and want the background blurred

Sorry Lawrencew, that is not correct. In Mode 2 the stabilzer is only activated when you fully depress the shutter so it is centered or balanced at the time you press the shutter. This will give you more stabilzation flexibility (horizontal and vertically). So mode 2 is the most effective setting and will save you some power too.

The panning mode can be activated by choosing the racing car on the mode dial on top of the FZ10.

Klaas Bloem
Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 3:14 PM   #4

sorry, you are quite right, I answered without engaging my brain first....

Whilst we are on the topic, why is it that mode 2 is supposed to offer a greater degree of stabilization? (I was thinking it ought to be the other way round, as in as the image is already stabilised in mode 1 it ought to be closer to the stabilization required at the time of taking the picture?)

lawrencew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 3:41 PM   #5

The IS system can only compensate for a cirtain amount of motion, as the stabilized lens part is in it's centered position when you fully depress the shutter in mode 2 it can use it's maximum range in all directions giving you the best possible stabilisation. The gyro's are running all the time so the system can anticipate instantly as you take the shot.

Klaas Bloem
Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2004, 12:34 PM   #6

Another reason I like mode 2 is that it doesn't stabilize the EVF view. That gives some feedback on how well you are steadying the camera.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 9:53 AM   #7

I have mainly used mode2 because I understand that it is supposed to offer a greater amount of stabilization. However, if you are using manual focus, mode 1 may make doing that focusing easier and more accurate.

The following is conjecture that I may have read a while back on dpreview forums. I am not sure. Use of mode 1 may alsoimprove pre-locked auto focus, because the autofocus system will have the advantage of a more stable image to work with.

I have started playing with mode 1 more having seen the excellent results my wife's fz1 produces. The fz1 has only mode 1 available.
MindsEye is offline   Reply With Quote