Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 3, 2004, 1:56 PM   #1

Hi there,

i got my FZ-10 a few days ago.
I quiet happy with but i have problems with the sport-mode.
I tryed to takes sharp pics of moving objects (litte cat jmping around) and so i used the sport-mode. The action took place outside with the sun shining and perfect light conditions. I was surprised when i saw the bad results, theres far too much motion blur, the pictures are crap
I then looked closer look at the sport mode. I mounted the cam on a tripod and pointed it to a static scene, i then took the 2 pictures of the same scene, one in normal-mode, the other in sport-mode. Checking the exif data i was surpriosed again. All setting were the same, so activating the sport-mode didnt affect the shutter time. My understanding of sport-mode is: it shoud reduce the shutter speed and try to avoid motion blur at all costs (at least thats the way it worked on my older cams) (analog SLR Nikon F70 and digital Coolpix 990). Any hints?
Many thanks in advance.
phibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2004, 3:56 PM   #2

What was the apertureyour camera used? If 2.8 this was the fastest shutter speed possible under the given light situation. You can achieve a higher shutter speed by using a -EV setting or going into shutter priority / manual mode.

Klaas Bloem
Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2004, 4:06 PM   #3

it was 2.8, but ISO was set to AUTO and it used ISO100, couldnt it change to a higher ISO to reduce shutter speed?
Old Jul 3, 2004, 4:12 PM   #4

Yes ISO 200 can be used but visible noise will be seen on your picture, there just wasn't sufficient light on the scene.

Klaas Bloem
Old Jul 3, 2004, 4:43 PM   #5

I posted a similar question over in DPreview's forums http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=9327965

"I was playing around with it this morning and was puzzled by some of the results. e.g.

- I would meter the same scene in reasonable light in Macro, Portrait and Sports mode, and it would set near enough the same exposure settings in all 3 modes.

- It would set an speed of 1/60th in sports mode, the same in Portrait. Presumably this was because it was the right speed for the 2.8 ap it was choosing (max light for sports, min DOF for portrait). But it didn't change the ISO. I would have expected it to boost the ISO for sports so it could use a faster shutter. 1/60th is hardly what I would expect in sports mode, not when it still had faster ISO to play with.

As you might expect,
Macro mode seems to apply a smaller apeture to increase DOF
Portrait seems to keep the apeture large to reduce DOF.

But sports doesn't seem to do anything special. It was typically the same settings as portrait.

And while we are on this subject, how come no "Landscape" mode?"
lawrencew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2004, 5:35 PM   #6

lawrencew wrote:
Quote:
I posted a similar question over in DPreview's forums http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=9327965

"I was playing around with it this morning and was puzzled by some of the results. e.g.

- I would meter the same scene in reasonable light in Macro, Portrait and Sports mode, and it would set near enough the same exposure settings in all 3 modes.

- It would set an speed of 1/60th in sports mode, the same in Portrait. Presumably this was because it was the right speed for the 2.8 ap it was choosing (max light for sports, min DOF for portrait). But it didn't change the ISO. I would have expected it to boost the ISO for sports so it could use a faster shutter. 1/60th is hardly what I would expect in sports mode, not when it still had faster ISO to play with.

As you might expect,
Macro mode seems to apply a smaller apeture to increase DOF
Portrait seems to keep the apeture large to reduce DOF.

But sports doesn't seem to do anything special. It was typically the same settings as portrait.

And while we are on this subject, how come no "Landscape" mode?"

Lawrence, as you seem to know what settings you have have to use, why not use A/S/M modes? I don't think the FZ10 was primarily designed as a point-'n-shoot camera. I wish Panasonic had used true A, S and M modes on the dial at the cost of some of it's "auto" settings.

Klaas Bloem
Old Jul 3, 2004, 5:54 PM   #7

well, if i had to choose between a pic with its main actor beeing totally blurred and a pic with its main actor sharp but noisy, i take the second one ...
Maybe the sport-mode could be rendered useful with a firmware upgrade, i think it shouldnt be a problem ...

btw, what is a landscape-mode?
Old Jul 3, 2004, 6:28 PM   #8

Landscap mode is a setting which (attemts) to give you a large depth of field (small aperture), you can achieve this easily by going into aperture priority and choosing a higher F number. Watch the shutter speed decrease as you set the F-number to a higher value, it may become to slow for a hand held shot. Manual settings can also be used instead of aperture priority (and will give you more exposure control without the need to use +/- EV settings).

Klaas Bloem
Old Jul 3, 2004, 7:18 PM   #9

Klaas wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Lawrence, as you seem to know what settings you have have to use, why not use A/S/M modes? I don't think the FZ10 was primarily designed as a point-'n-shoot camera. I wish Panasonic had used true A, S and M modes on the dial at the cost of some of it's "auto" settings.

Klaas Bloem
Because if I buy a camera that offers scene modes, I expect it to work in scene modes

I might know the ins and outs of A/S/M but my wife doesn't. Some might say the FZ10 isn't a point and shoot camera - then why offer such modes?

Actually I am more than happy with the P&S operation of the FZ10, but it seems that some of the scene modes could do with a bit of tweaking
lawrencew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2004, 1:50 AM   #10

I've found that the best way to get quality from the FZ10 is to completely avoid the presets and use full manual mode where you can set both shutter, aperture, and ISO as required. My first decision is to set ISO as low as possible, as some here have said, noise becomes a distinct problem if you are any higher than ISO 100.

Your next consideration, if you are wishing to photograph movement, is to have as fast a shutter as possible without leaving your aperture so open that your depth of focus is next to nil (such as 2.8). If you have a 1/2000 shutter speed, yet your aperture is open to a 2.8 narrow depth of focus, then you're going to get blur primarily because you don't have enough room for error of focus. You need to work out a happy medium where you have a fast shutter but your aperture is stopped down enough that gives you are reasonable chance to focus. F5.6 is a nice happy medium, and a shutter speed of 1/800 handles most motion well.

I don't think that you will ever be happy with the presets on the FZ10. The best answer, IMHO, is to learn how to work with the camera trinity: ISO, aperture, shutter, and in "full" manual if possible. And don't be averse to using that onboard flash with a subject that is close enough so that you can ISO low.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote