Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 4, 2004, 2:36 PM   #1

I'm having a problem keeping the lens hood in one piece! It separates into two without any warning at all. Because this is the only way to add filters, etc., it's becoming more than an irritation - it's becoming costly. Is anyone else having this problem? Is it a defect? Would there be harm in cementing the two pieces together? Thanks.
ISProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2004, 3:11 PM   #2

not sure I understand what you mean.

The lens hood is only one piece, not two...

What 2 pieces are you talking about? Where is it separating into 2?

If it is broken, then get it replaced

You are taking the lens ring off first, and then screwing the lens hood on aren't you? You are not just trying to push it over the top?
lawrencew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2004, 3:14 PM   #3

I know it appears to be one piece - I thought so too until it came apart. In fact, it is two pieces that snap together (at least mine is). It doesn't appear to be "broken" - that is, the pieces do snap back together and will hold until whatever unknown force separates them again.
Old Jul 4, 2004, 3:39 PM   #4

where do these two pieces come apart?

I can't see any joints on mine. No joints on the outside. Does the inside sleeve (with the screw threads on) come out or something.

Still confused...
lawrencew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2004, 3:47 PM   #5

Exactly - there are catchridges on the inside of the outer piece and ridges on the inside of the inner piece, which, when lined up appropriately, hold the piece in place. My best guess is that the friction of putting filters on and taking them off rotates the piece enough to unseat. I don't understand why it has more than one piece to begin with, but it certainly seems to be ill-designed considering the very nature of threads. I'd like to use a teleconverter, but I certainly don't want to be replacingTHAT when the threads separate!
Old Jul 4, 2004, 4:21 PM   #6

I *think* I see what you mean, but it would help if you could post a picture. I wouldn't recommend gluing the two pieces if you plan to leave the hood on the camera a lot, there is a *very* small chance of fogging the lens. Why not just askPanasonic to give you a new one? You may also want to look at some of the after-market adapters like the Yoshida.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2004, 5:12 PM   #7

Thanks for the pointer to after-market converters. I really hadn't researched that option as it wasn't available when I first got the camera in November, but I'm glad to see there are options now. Whether my lens hood is defective or not, I like the adapters better. They seem much more secure. Any recommendations? Experiences?

Now to the next place to spend money after the adapter - I've looked at the Sony and Olympus teleconverters, but I'd like one with a 2 or better strength. I know teleconverters made for video are not appropriate even though they are in much higher strengths- does anyone know of a higher strength teleconverter for a digital camera? Experiences? Thanks again.

Old Jul 4, 2004, 8:27 PM   #8

i just go my raynox adapter RT5264P. it is about$17 or so at ebay new, as buy it now option. front thread is 52mm. Seems like it is made of metal. I have no teleconverters to see if it will hold the weight of those when attached. Also there are some by pemarrel and obviously yoshida adapters. there is a good links for the adapters at http://www.users.bigpond.com/vkelim/DMCFZ10/index.htmland other good info for FZ10

Would still be interested to see what teleconverters and wide angle lens people recomend looking for some cheap which can still deliver good quality pictures.

aghauri
aghauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 2:15 AM   #9

The best of the adapters is the Yoshida, it's also the most expensive. Here is a link to his site with a 2.2x Raynox on display. http://www3.coara.or.jp/~shingu_t/engulish/e_top.htm

I have about a half a dozen telephotos for my FZ10. The one I would recommend for you is the Olympus TCON-17. It'sa 1.7x teleconverter. I also like the Canon TL-55 for being very small and light, but it's only a 1.4x, and you said you would like a longer focal length.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 2:39 AM   #10

ISProf wrote:
Quote:
Now to the next place to spend money after the adapter - I've looked at the Sony and Olympus teleconverters, but I'd like one with a 2 or better strength. I know teleconverters made for video are not appropriate even though they are in much higher strengths- does anyone know of a higher strength teleconverter for a digital camera? Experiences? Thanks again.

See my FZ-10 user guide for more information re adapter tubes, lens hood and converter lenses.

CK

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam

Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700 and Panasonic FZ-10 User Guides

shene is offline   Reply With Quote