Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 26, 2004, 12:18 AM   #11

You'll probably see this mostly with foreign countries. In trying to protect its citizens, some of the requirementsFloriday enforcesare above and beyond the simple business aspect of offering warranties. Some foreign company's find these requirements to be offensive. From their viewpoint, some of the things they are being asked to do are like being accused and convictedof a crime already. As a result, they won't do it.

I have been told some of the things they have to do (which I will not discuss publicly) and I wouldn't do it. If you knew, most of you wouldn't do it. In fact, if it weren't for the fact that retired people are probably the biggest spending demographic, they'd probably not even sell their products there after being asked.

I am not saying its wrong, merely that it really is above and beyond what anyone would expect as being necessary to simply do business in Florida.

FZFUN
FZFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 7:14 PM   #12

Hi again, Gang:

A postscript tomy FZ1 repair saga, it AGAIN failed (the third time), began to yield images with that strange colored area seperated by a horizontal line, and I sent it in yet again, at Panasonic's expense, to the attention of Amy (Supervisor), who authorized it.

She phone in about 10 days to tell me that the technician could not replicate the difficulty (about once/200 shots, I did not wait for it to get worse this time), BUT that they would replace the camera. She called yet again to inform me that, having no more FZ1 machines available, they would send an FZ3. I now await that, it being a holiday week, I understand that it may take a while.

It is a shame that I had to send in the camera three times, and that they were unable to repair it, BUT if they really do replace it with a new FZ3, then Panasonic will have thoroughly vindicated itself. I'll report the outcome.

Cheers......... Jack :sad:

jack.winberg@verizon.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 8:19 PM   #13

Not to defend Panasonic... but it's everywhere. I won't go on a political rant, not the place... but that's the flip-side of "pro-business" (aka F the lowly consumer and the environment) policies. Interesting that EU has a two year parts and labor required by law. Sounds reasonable for me... even one-year mandatory sounds reasonable. If people voted based on what makes sense and is best for them, instead of culture/tradition, Nader would win by a landslide. And as far as Fla, big business brought those policies on themselves. If they conducted themselves ethically and fairly towards elderly consumers instead of treating them like senile "marks" these rules wouldn't exist in the first place.

NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 12:05 PM   #14

Hey, Jack. Glad you're still among us but sad to hear of your continuing trials and tribulationswith Panasonic andyour fz1. I hope the fz3 works out ok. Let us know how it compares to the fz1.

Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 3:02 PM   #15

Nick

Even though I'm in the UK I compeletly agree with you !

Harj

:evil:
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 3:12 PM   #16

Panasonic want £160 thats about $300 (US) for a 3 year extended warranty, whether thats good value for money I am not so sure.

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 3:30 PM   #17

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
- Got any extra room over there? This country has lost its mind.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 11:35 PM   #18

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
- Got any extra room over there? This country has lost its mind.

Like the comedian Chris Rock said (paraphrasing):

You know this country has gone crazy when...

1. The best rapper is a white guy (Eminem)
2. The best golfer is a black guy (Tiger Woods)
3. And the three most powerful men in the country are named Dick, Bush, and Colon

Anyway....

If you get an FZ3 out of it, maybe it's worth the problems you had to go through?

-- Chris

(FZ1's working fine....darn it!)
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 2:25 PM   #19

Hi Gang:

A brand new FZ3 arrived today, as promised, as a replacement for the FZ1 that had been sent in three times (after paying $108 for in warranty repair), and which they could not ultimately fix.

Panasonic repair was initially very difficult to deal with, but Amy Richardson, a supervisor there, has been stellar.

My initial impressions of the camera are very positive, it seems very quick and accurate. I HOPE it will stand up well when out on assignment, we shall see. I strongly expect it to do very well.

I hope this is the END of an unfortunate saga, but Panasonic DID ultimately stand behind a defective product, and that says a lot.

Jack Winberg

jack.winberg@verizon.net is offline   Reply With Quote