Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 5, 2004, 5:24 PM   #1

emailed invitation:

"Sail the seas with Panasonic for the launch of its newest Lumix Digital Still Cameras

Join us for a leisurely cruise and the chance to capture some of New York's most picturesque sights -- from the Statue of Liberty to the Brooklyn Bridge - all from the decks of the Motor Yacht Romantica.

Cast off Tuesday, July 20th at 4 pm from the Intrepid Pier and return at 8 pm. In between, dine with us and be first to use Panasonic's newest Lumix digital cameras with the very latest in zoom technology and features for amateurs and professionals alike. Take your best shots...and take them home on a supplied SD Card.
Boat casual attire. Please RSVP by July 13th to a contact below.

Who:
Panasonic Digital Camera Group

What:
U.S. launch of new Lumix digital still cameras

Where:
Aboard the Motor Yacht Romantica docked at the Intrepid Aircraft Carrier
Seaport Museum (W. 46th St. and Westside Hwy.)

When:
Tuesday, July 20th
Boarding at 4:00 p.m.
Disembark by 8:00 p.m.

Contacts:
Kristine Zeichner
New Directions PR
609-951-2230
[email protected]

Bill Pritchard
Panasonic
201-348-7182
[email protected]"

Originally posted at http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=9425810
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2004, 12:36 PM   #2

so what are you saying here except the obvious. i am/was/is buying the FZ10 this week, but now is there an important upgrade to this camera that will be out in August? i am going on a trip in mid september and the possiblility of stock problems in canada it could take 4 to 6 weeks to get a FZ10 in my hands this is why i was going to order 1 soon, but now i am wondering, because it seems panasonic doesn't do firmware upgrades at all, just new models, i know i can't go wrong with this camera, the problem is that if a new model comes oiut soon, it will push the price down on my fz10, store usually only carry 15 to 30 price guarantee, so then i would lose out on drop on price buyhing it now, it is currently 899.00 canadian + tax

is there release dates on the new product or is this show and tell only and release in the fall?

thanks
Belz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 2:48 PM   #3

I would wait and see what happens on the 20th - only two weeks away. Apparently there will be a press release at http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_el...room/index.aspto coincide with the cruise.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 3:59 PM   #4

I am also in Canada, I just bought my FZ10 from http://www.etronics.com. They have a check-out specificly for Canadians using Canada Post's BorderFree service. The web site will give you the total price with taxes and duties in Canadian dollars upfront with no surprises. The best part is, Digital cameras are duty free.With their price it was delivered to my door in 10 days for under $800. You shoud Check it out.
DunlopKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 4:32 PM   #5

Belz wrote:
Quote:
so what are you saying here except the obvious. i am/was/is buying the FZ10 this week, but now is there an important upgrade to this camera that will be out in August?

It says nothing of the sort. That is pure conjecture on your part (promted by the fact that you are in the market for a FZ10).

It could be the announcement of a new camera(s).

It could just be the first availability of models already announced but not yet widely available in the US.

It could be a totally new camera that isn't a replacement/upgrade for anything.

It could be a replacement for any other model(s) in the Lumix range. Not necessarily the FZ10

Launch doesn't necessarily mean the same as announce.

Announcements of new models usually precedes actually availability by months - as was the case with the FZ10. This launch has the actual cameras to play with - so doesn't sound like a new model announcement.

It could be anything....
lawrencew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2004, 2:19 PM   #6

DunlopKR, thanks for link, last night i researched the sight and it would cost me 812.00Cad to ship to my house. Only 1 problem that i will have an answer for tonight hopefully. I emailed Panasonic canada about servicing a US bought FZ10 in Canada and they said no can do, must return in the US to service it, this is a big draw back i think as border (customs) doesn't like this kind of stuff, i live right on the border from Detroit. i e-mailed etronics and asked them the question and should have an answer tonight about servicing in canada if bought from them....

i am not sure what Panasonic Service depot in canada or US require to not be able to service it in either country. Do they ask for reciept, or does serial number show country of origin, and they would just send it back not fixed?

i will follow up later, perhaps other people have a solution to the Buy in US and repair in Canada if needed, how do these service depots know where it came from, do the ask for proof.

Old Jul 7, 2004, 2:43 PM   #7

A benefit of buying your FZ10 in Europe (I live in UK) is that it has a worldwide warranty - none of this we wont service it if you didnt buy it here nonsense.

UK warranties are typically 1 year parts AND labour
Whereas EU warranties (expect UK) are now 2 years parts and labour by law.

Though UK law has a rather vague clause that products should be expected to last a reasonable time and makes a supplier responsible for 6 years during which they must repair or replace any item but are allowed to charge in reflection of reasonable fair wear and tare (i.e. dont expect a brand new one for nothing after 5 years 11 months)
Old Jul 7, 2004, 4:14 PM   #8

Belz, I was willing to overlook the warranty issue for the cost savings. This will be the fourth digicam I have owned and to this date I have never I had to repair a camera within the factory warranty period. I guess it's a chance you have to take. I too am close to the border of Washington State so on the rare chance something breaks in the first year I guess I'll go south for repairs
DunlopKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 2:57 AM   #9

Belz

I take it all back. Looking at the discussions on DPReview it seems that there will indeed be new cameras launched at this event.

A replacement for the FZ10 could be a distinct possibility - so I would wait if I were you. However, actual store availability might not be immediate of course. So getting one before september might be difficult.

Loz
Old Jul 9, 2004, 9:43 AM   #10

thanks lawrencew

i leave september 14 to croatia, and i would like to get at least 4 weeks of playing around with the camera in different conditions so i can get great pictures on my trip, you are most likely right, there will be some new stuff and probably a newer replacement for the FZ10, and in all reallity it will be more costly, i am already stretched past my budget for a camera if a purchase this one. I hope this show and tell/launch will help lower the price of the FZ10 in early AUgust, this is the latest i can wait....i most likely will still get the FZ10, unless something superb and less costly comes out and is in stores by end of august, but i think availability will be a problem before my trip...anyways the ongoing dillema...

later