Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 6, 2004, 7:42 PM   #1

I was looking at some of my fireworks pictures, and noticed a consistent red pixel, so tonight I put the lens cap on and took some shots - sure enough, it's there.

I love this camera, but this bothers me. What are my options? I bought it at J&R. I know they're reputable, but if I can get it repaired locally, that's better.

cageyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2004, 8:05 PM   #2

Sorry to hear Cageyman. Your camera needs pixel remapping which is a easy job done with software. Now if we only had that software (a russian programmer wrote a pixel remapping program thatremaps theOly C-2100 Uzi).

Klaas
Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 8:20 PM   #3

:O

Well, I happened to be on the phone with my Nikon friend, and he said the same thing. He also says hot pixels are a fact of life, and that mine aren't bad (I see two faint ones - one red, one blue - but they likely won't show up on most pics). He suggests I wait until I get more within the warranty period, then have them all fixed at once.

In the meantime, he says to use PhotoShop to fix them if they show up in the photos.

Have you guys found that to be true as well - hot pixels a fact of life with digicams?

(oh, he mentioned that same russian guy's program, says it works for the Nikons, too)
Old Jul 6, 2004, 8:41 PM   #4

Try this...

http://www.starzen.com/imaging/deadpixeltest.htm
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 9:05 PM   #5

Well, now that's very interesting. When I run that program with default values, Ihave no dead or hot pixels.

But whenI lowered the threshold, anywhere from 10 to 30 pixels do show up, with luminance values between 11 and 21 (I don't know what'snormal).

Old Jul 6, 2004, 9:24 PM   #6

BTW, I'm heading off for a while, to leave this alone. I happened to clean the lens again with the LensPen (it's all I have), and I think those pixels are gone - at the very least, they're certainly very dim.

I obviously need to dig into this some more before I worry too much about it.

Thanks for the link!

Old Jul 6, 2004, 10:36 PM   #7

Hot pixel killer at http://www.girder.nl/hpk/
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote