Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 8, 2004, 1:35 PM   #1

I have two batteries - the original, and one I bought from Amazon. After seeing threads on dpreview, I checked eBay, and found one that claims to be for the FZ10 and 800 mah, but it's 7.4 volts, rather than 7.2. Any thoughts as to whether that's safe?

It's here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...60337&rd=1

cageyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2004, 4:48 PM   #2

I can't say if *that* battery is OK, but there is no way that an extra 0.2VDC will harm the camera. If you measure the voltage of your current battery right after charging, it will almost certainly be over-voltage.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2004, 8:48 PM   #3

Yeah. Word has it that the FZ10 works on anything from 6.0V to 8.4V. Apparently this tallies well with the voltage output by a fully charged Li-ion battery down to a flat one.

Surprisingly, when I measured the output of the AC adaptor it was over 10V. I'm building a cheap external powerpack (just 6 nimh AA cells in a $1 holder) and though I know that will be safe I still don't know why the AC adaptor measured so high. Makes me doubt my abilities. :-)
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 12:16 AM   #4

Did you take the mesurement under load?
Old Jul 9, 2004, 12:28 AM   #5

thanks for the info guys!
cageyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 4:04 AM   #6

Guerito wrote:
Quote:
Sort of. Well, no, actually.

What I did was take an unloaded measurement, then I tried my multimeter's "battery tester" mode which is supposed to simulate a "normal" load for a 1.5V or 9V battery. It didn't seem to make any difference.

So, I'm left with only minimal solid info, the polarity. Positive tip. That should be enough to make a battery pack.
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 11:57 PM   #7

anomaly wrote:
Quote:
Guerito wrote:
Quote:
Sort of. Well, no, actually.

What I did was take an unloaded measurement, then I tried my multimeter's "battery tester" mode which is supposed to simulate a "normal" load for a 1.5V or 9V battery. It didn't seem to make any difference.

So, I'm left with only minimal solid info, the polarity. Positive tip. That should be enough to make a battery pack.
Your meter's battery test mode is probably only a few milliamps which would be a "normal" load for most products like a radio. A digicam requires a great deal more current. If you have ever used a set of alkaline batteries in a digicam, you'll know just how fast they go flat. There's probably no easy to test under load, but I suspect the voltage would be noticeably less than if you were to measure it without the camera attached.