Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 14, 2004, 4:40 PM   #1

For Panasonic Bob

If this is true and it looks it. All FZ10 US owners should get a free firmware upgrade.

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...tGroupId=17038
playlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2004, 5:45 PM   #2

Whilst the FZ15 most likely inherits most of its functionality from the FZ10, it might also have new features that are not backward compatible (for example it might have a focus assist light, who knows?). If so, then the firmware for the FZ15 wouldn't be the same as the FZ10, and would require Panasonic to build and test a FZ10 specific version.

For what gain? If anyone is in the market for a new camera and believes there might be problems with the FZ10, then Panasonic can simply point to the new improved FZ15.

I would likea firmware upgrade too - but I am not holding my breath, and don't see that Panasonic is obliged to release one just cause they bought out a new camera. After all, if you think your FZ10 is faulty (it consistently produces overexposed pictures) then return it under warranty.
lawrencew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 9:12 PM   #3

Although I fear you may be correct, it would be shortsighted of Panasonic to ignore the fact that their competitors do release firmware upgrades. Timely upgrades add value to a camera and make a purchase decision easier. I know that I would not recommend Panasonic to someone looking to make a long-term investment in a camera in this (FZ10) price range. Simply put, their competitors are doing a better job of supporting their customers.
blakej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 11:09 PM   #4

Having been in the computer field for many years I can tell it is not a big deal.The base code is designedfor the ultimate functionality and placing a one instruction branch or "goto" around problems or future enhancements. Is an hours work.
playlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 3:13 AM   #5

playlong wrote:
Quote:

Having been in the computer field for many years I can tell it is not a big deal.The base code is designedfor the ultimate functionality and placing a one instruction branch or "goto" around problems or future enhancements. Is an hours work.

yeh, sure it is.

No wonder so many computer systems don't work correctly.....
Old Jul 15, 2004, 3:23 AM   #6

blakej wrote:
Quote:
Although I fear you may be correct, it would be shortsighted of Panasonic to ignore the fact that their competitors do release firmware upgrades. Simply put, their competitors are doing a better job of supporting their customers.
I'm sorry, but the number of firmware upgrades out there is in the minority in comparison to the number of cameras that have been released. And typically they are bug fixes, not enhanced functionality, apart from the high end pro cameras.

Neither of the Minolta or Olympus digicams I have owned had firmware releases made available other than very shorly after the release of the Minolta to fix some obvious bugs.
Old Jul 15, 2004, 8:31 AM   #7

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...tGroupId=17038

This link no longer seems to work. I was looking at it about 15 minutes ago, but now it's down. Unfortunately when it was up it didn't shed any more light onany new features.
StormyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 11:56 AM   #8

Yep, I looked at this page yesterday. It didn't say much but at least it was confirmation that something was in the works. Apparently, some web person on the Panasonic staff made these pages visible sooner than the marketing people wanted them visible. Obviously, the mistake has been corrected.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 1:08 PM   #9

I just received my FZ10 yesterday from ButterlyPhoto, and the new FZ15 is on its way. Unfortunately, ButterflyPhoto charge 10% restocking fee, if I choose to return it.

Does anyone know if the new FZ15 or the FZ20 has the RAW format function, or has less comperssion than the FZ10. Or comments on if I should take the 10% lost to get the new FZ15.

Thank you in advance for any info.

Regards
CheapPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 1:15 PM   #10

CheapPhoto wrote:
Quote:
I just received my FZ10 yesterday from ButterlyPhoto, and the new FZ15 is on its way. Unfortunately, ButterflyPhoto charge 10% restocking fee, if I choose to return it.

Does anyone know if the new FZ15 or the FZ20 has the RAW format function, or has less comperssion than the FZ10. Or comments on if I should take the 10% lost to get the new FZ15.

First, I would imagine that the FZ15 will as with any new camera come in at a relatively undiscounted price when it is new. Plus the FZ20 is clearly going to cost more than the FZ15. So, either way it is probably going to cost you more than just the 10% restocking fee.

Second, I wouldn't expect retail supplies to be available immediately after the launch on the 20th - it normally takes time

Third, I doubt you will find out any more detail about either model till the 20th. However, look at the earlier FZ3 post - if that poster is correct, then you might assume the FZ15/20 have similar features - including TIFF support. But so far that is totally uncorroberated.