Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 19, 2004, 9:44 PM   #1

I'm using the transcend 48x memory card and I don't know if it's the card or the camera but this camera writes sssooooooo fast. I've been using burst mode and for those who complain the the screen goes blank for the duration of the shots. . .big deal, the blink of an eye. My other cameras are olys (3030 and 5050)and the write time difference is huge. Am really impressed with the camera.

Suzan

Just unsolicited drooling.
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2004, 9:37 AM   #2

thanks suzan, yet another user that likes transcend cards for this camera, i am waiting on the news today on the new fz line, and most likely will purchase the fz10 after, hoping for price point drop, but i've been researching sd cards for months, and alot of people just say to stick with panasonic, but the price is the highest, i seen online yesterday, a 512 transcend card for 100US$ and a 256 card for 53US$, imagine that i can 768mb total for less then the price of 1 panasonic 512 card(200+$) and it seems to perform at nearly the same pace as panasonic....i am pretty sure i will buy these 2 cards, 45x speed rated, and save some cash...

thanks

Belz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 10:29 AM   #3

The SimpleTech ProX line of SD cards perform equal to Panasonic's, and they are usually a fraction of the price. The 256mb card as been as low as $35! I have a 256mb ST ProX and can definitely say that it's MUCH faster than the genuine Panasonic 64mb SD card. My other 256mb card ("Smart" namebrand) is a very close second, and it can also be found for very cheap. I'm currently using it as memory expansion in my Palm device. Believe it or not, even though my Palm is a rather old model, it also copies files and loads data MUCH faster using the ST ProX or the Simple card. The Panasonic 64mb cards are just dog slow by comparison in every device I try them. Honestly though, I was very satisfied with the performance of the 64mb card when I bought a year ago. I tried several other namebrandsat the time and they were even slower than the Panasonic 64mb card!

-----------

Chris
www.fz-club.com
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 11:50 AM   #4
Administrator

EffZeeOne wrote:
Quote:
The SimpleTech ProX line of SD cards perform equal to Panasonic's, and they are usually a fraction of the price. The 256mb card as been as low as $35! I have a 256mb ST ProX and can definitely say that it's MUCH faster than the genuine Panasonic 64mb SD card. My other 256mb card ("Smart" namebrand) is a very close second, and it can also be found for very cheap. I'm currently using it as memory expansion in my Palm device. Believe it or not, even though my Palm is a rather old model, it also copies files and loads data MUCH faster using the ST ProX or the Simple card. The Panasonic 64mb cards are just dog slow by comparison in every device I try them. Honestly though, I was very satisfied with the performance of the 64mb card when I bought a year ago. I tried several other namebrandsat the time and they were even slower than the Panasonic 64mb card!
Chris, Secure Digital Cards from ALLmanufacturersare slower in sizes through 128mb. You only get faster cards in 256mb and 512mb sizes.

As for the Simpletech SD cards, their standard and Prox cards in 256mb and 512mb sizeshave the same specs (10mb/second). It is my understanding that these cards are using Panasonic Components.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 3:09 PM   #5

Yes, and some SD cards below 128mb are actually slower than others. It was my experience when trying several namebrands of 64mb cards that Panasonic ones were still the fastest (of the four I tried). I believe I tried SansDisk, Kingston, Panasonic, and one other one that I cannot remember. I returned all of them and kept two 64mb Panasonic cards.

This was overa year ago when I first bought my FZ1 and SD cards were just ridiculously priced. I actually paid more for one of my 64mb cards than I did for either of my 256mb cards just a year later. Oh, well. Such is the way with techie toys.

-----------

Chris
www.fz-club.com
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote