Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 25, 2004, 4:22 AM   #31

anomaly wrote:
Quote:
Ooh! Could you go into more detail about this "limited detail" thing, especially as it relates to trees. I have found that through practice I can now get high quality shots of people, small objects, buildings, nearly anything really, with my FZ10, but I am always disappointed by trees. They always look sort of soft or indistinct. From what you are saying, indistinct images of trees is a consequence of the laws of physics interacting with a small sensor. Right? If so, can you explain why this happens?
Probably more a result of jpeg compression. It will be interesting to compare some Tiffs from the FZ-20 becuase trees are very hard to compress because they have so much detail with lots of edges. Two similar leaves together will often get blended by jpg because it thinks they are so close it doesn't matter, but the human brain says that trees don't look like that.

P.S. the side effect of tiff is 30sec transfer instead of 3. I wonder if the venus II can speed this up or at least do it in the background, so you can take organise the next shot & possibly even take it. Bring on the reviews please.....If it is to be available late August, we are already late July!
StormyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2004, 5:02 AM   #32

StormyKnight wrote:
Quote:
P.S. the side effect of tiff is 30sec transfer instead of 3. I wonder if the venus II can speed this up or at least do it in the background, so you can take organise the next shot & possibly even take it. Bring on the reviews please.....If it is to be available late August, we are already late July!
I doubt a fast 10MB/sec SD card will take 30sec to write a tiff file. What takes 3.1 sec on your FZ?
Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2004, 6:11 AM   #33

Klass I dont have a FZ10, but most reviews of cameras Panasonic or other, the Tiff turn-around time is about 10 times the jpeg. I understand the difference in file sizes, but if the jpg was to come down around .3 of a second then tiff would be 3 secs. Something you could live with I would have thought. I'm just hoping the Tiff save time is reasonable if not leading the field.
Old Jul 25, 2004, 6:33 AM   #34

StormyKnight wrote:
Quote:
Klass I dont have a FZ10, but most reviews of cameras Panasonic or other, the Tiff turn-around time is about 10 times the jpeg. I understand the difference in file sizes, but if the jpg was to come down around .3 of a second then tiff would be 3 secs. Something you could live with I would have thought. I'm just hoping the Tiff save time is reasonable if not leading the field.
I think you will be surprised by the FZ20s' speed, it takes my FZ10 2 seconds to process and write to card a 5 shot burst onmaximum size/quality (I use a Sandisk 256MB Ultra II SD card)!
Old Jul 25, 2004, 6:40 AM   #35

Mate that sounds promising, I guess time will tell.

BTW, how slow is the standard card compared to yours?
Old Jul 25, 2004, 7:36 AM   #36

8 to 10 seconds write time for the same 5 shot burst.

BTW Nice dog!
Old Jul 25, 2004, 8:00 AM   #37

Thanks, he is our first Australian Champion Shetland Sheepdog. We hope to have some of our own under our breeding prefix soon, thats why I was going to buy a FZ-10, until the new release. Now everything is on hold. I don't even know when the FZ20 is comming to Oz as the Australian Panasonic web site has no mention of it yet.
Old Jul 25, 2004, 8:22 AM   #38

Maybe you can find a store with a 30 days return policy in Australia and buy a FZ10 for the time being?
Old Jul 25, 2004, 8:59 AM   #39

StormyKnight wrote:
Quote:
I don't even know when the FZ20 is coming to Oz as the Australian Panasonic web site has no mention of it yet.
Yes, Panasonic only took the word "New!" off the FZ10 section on their Australian web site a few days ago. My favourite camera shop thinks it will be several months until they get stock of the FZ20. Panasonic hasn't given them any hint of a date yet.
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2004, 1:15 PM   #40

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
ddsm wrote:
Quote:
But, I don't see how the shutter speed could mechanicaly affect what we see in the EVF. Correct me if I'm wrong but to me, it HAS to be simulated electronicaly (vwia software).
I agree with David. Isnt the evf independent of the shutter and/or aperature setting and simply an electronic representation of those settings? If so, that representation can be bypassed/disabled leaving the evf bright if the user selects to have it that way. Sounds like a fairly easy fix. Will the fz15/20 have that option?

Fred
It doesn't help that Panasonic DID fix a very similar problem with the FZ1 via the firmware upgrade. The LCD/EVF would go dark on it too, representing what you would get. With the firmware upgrade, it is not even an option --the EVF/LCDstays as bright as possibleall the time. The FZ1 upgrade also addressed compression issues, although they are not very noticeable. But what that does say is that it is most likely possible to address some of the concernsof FZ10 owners.

All that said though, think about how FZ1 owners felt. The FZ1 came out in March 2003, and far less than a year later (like within about six months), they come out with the FZ2 and the FZ10. The FZ2 could be looked at as a real slap in the face to FZ1 owners -- it's exactly the same camera with better firmware in it. Then Panasonic only made it worse by officially releasing the firmware upgrade only to their "home" market in Japan.

They send the marketing folks to the Twilight Zone for training, but they definitely seem to be getting their camera designs from Star Trek.

------------

Chris
www.fz-club.com

EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote