Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 21, 2004, 3:41 PM   #11

Bob,

We really do appreciate you monitoring and responding to these features but what is frustrating is that our FZ-10's aren't really that old. I believe the early ones came out in Winter 2003. Its not like we're trying to get Panasonic to provide a firmware update for a camera from 1995 to make it equivalent to one from 2004. We know that the hardware is new and even with the best firmware update, an FZ-10 will not have all of the features of the FZ-15 or FZ-20.

I'm no marketing genius, but it would seem to please a lot of customers to get whatever improvements are possible through firmware. Since you can't add an AF light or change to the Venus II, there would still be an incentive to upgrade if these features were important to the individual customer.

Right now I still think Panasonic has the best high zoom image stabilized system out there, but other companies are sure to catch up. When most of us are ready to get new cameras there will certainly be more choices than Panasonic.
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 3:45 PM   #12

Clint751 wrote:
Quote:
David, I use a work-around for the dark EVF problem when using manual mode and an external flash and taking macro pics. It's not as good as not having the problem, but it makes it doable.
Hi Clint,

In fact I've been using that work around for some time, except I don't have an L bracket. )

But there are times when it isn't enough. Should you want to use the flash to fill a shadow or to get more light so to use a faster shuter speed without gettig above 100iso, there might still be enough light (during the time when the flash ceased lightning but the shutter is still open)to actually see some motion blur, that could be avoided with a faster shuter speed.

I'm not saying that I haven't been able to make so pretty good macros with the FZ10, on the contrary, some results are impressive, thanks to the 12x zoom. I've seen some of your shots on DPReview, and You've seen some of mine so I guess we do agree on that ! What I'm saying is thatI missedquite a few because of this issue...;o)

Every time I have to switch to AP because of the darkening EVF, knowing that I'm limited to 1/60s and have to do some "working around" because of that particular flaw that could clearly be corrected via a firmware fix, I get a little bit more frustrated about Panasonic aftersales policies. :sad:

David
ddsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 4:07 PM   #13

Panasonic wrote:
Quote:
While I can understand how many of you would like some upgrade path, firmware can't replace new hardware, and this situation similar to purchasing a new 2005 auto right now. If you insist on having the latest model the upgrade path is selling the 2004 model and purchasing the 2005.
Hi again Bob,

Panasonic heard our request for new featureson upcomming cameras and that's great ! Some are backed by some new hardware improvement (Venus II, AF assist Light...) and that is great too. I do appreciate.

Now what would be even more appreciated would be tha Panasonic take care of what clearly is/are software flaws.

I can't figure out why the darkening EVF feature could not be made optionnal via software, when under certain conditions, it does become a serious issue (especiallywhen using flash wich makes this feature totally irrelevant).Same for the strange shutter speed limit in AP mode...

If I'm missing something, if those cannot be done via sofware,please correct me, but please don't go with the new year model car serie example : if something has been clearly misconcieved on a car, they ARE called back for modification.

Again, I'm not asking for miracles, I just want my 3 month old camera to be functional without to find work-arounds for software design flaws that CAN be fixed.

Regards,

David
ddsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 5:48 PM   #14

BOB, you are still not listening

I dont expect you to provide me witha "new" camera through firmware. I know that cannot be done.

Just FIX the problems with the current camera that people here have repeatedly complained about

1. overexposure

2. evf darkness when manual mode
lawrencew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 5:55 PM   #15

As much as i enjoy my FZ10, its a strategy by Pana, lets release this FZ, get ideas n feedback then go for more sales, yeh POOR marketing or GREAT depending where you stand, i knew it would be bad news once i saw Pana release the LC50/70 which was same as previous models with new look but jus to create more sales..
that time spent could have been our FZ upgrade..

so we know now how Pana think.. $ 1ST .. $ 2nd ..blah blah
Thanx least you could have done was make one upgrde to keep us happy..
you SHOULD lose custom not make sales, but you wont cos not evry one reads these forums..

no fool here tho bought in $US half price spares too.. yeh i think like you do..
Congrats..2 U ITS BUSINESS THAS ALL...

I give you a damn strategy release a 8mp with all the things we want n give us a part ex for the 10.. hahahahahahahaha
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 6:15 PM   #16

Bob, I don't know if you're a computer-phile, but if you are, you'd be darned unhappy to find that the manufacturers of your motherboard, video card, etc refused to release driver and/or bios updates to improve your hardware (including fixes and enhancements), and I posit that such manufacturers would quickly find themselves in the cold, because competitors do in fact support their hardware after the fact.
cageyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 6:49 PM   #17

Lawrence,

I too just took delivery of my FZ10 a couple of weeks ago, after first checking with Panasonic UK that it was not about to be replaced/upgraded. I was told that it was still a new model and there were no immediateplans to introduce an upgrade. The recent announcement explains the stock shortage so accute here in the UK - instead of trying to fullfill demand tfor the FZ10, they had switched production to the FZ15/20.They clearly knew what was coming but denied it tocomplete a sale. No way to ensure customer loyalty, I would say.I suggested to Panasonic that for recent customers such as me who feel cheated by this whole episode, they should implement a 'buyback' or part exchange programme. No response as yet, and do not expect to hear anything favourable from them. Having said all this, I am happy with my FZ10 and would have to think hard whether to change if they did offer an exchange at extra cost. Maybe Bob can convey to the powers that be at Panasonic the strength of feeling this whole episode has generated and they may compensate by giving serious consideration to FZ10 firmware updates.
Powza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 12:57 AM   #18

Powza wrote:
Quote:
Lawrence,
I was told that it was still a new model and there were no immediate plans to introduce an upgrade.
They told you the truth, there will never be an upgrade for the FZ10, but rather a whole new model :?
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 1:30 AM   #19

Way back in Nov, 2003. Panasonic UK service people didn't even heard of FZ10.
So there's still hope for a firmware I guess.
fz_10user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 8:15 AM   #20

Totally agree with you, no more Panasonic purchases in future.

Enjoy
faca is offline   Reply With Quote