Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 22, 2004, 10:48 AM   #21

Jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 10:50 AM   #22

Velly Intellesting... :?

MSGT JIMMIE BURTON (USAF RETIRED 1983)
It's so EZI with an UZI & even better with a Fluzi
Panasonic FZ10 & Yoshida's Adapter...
Oly 2100UZ, B300, TCON14, A200, C-180, C-210
Epson 750Z 1.25 MP's Old Faithful
Private Pilot & RC Nut
http://www.angelfire.com/ar/thecameranutjwb/ Check out my Website
Jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 11:08 AM   #23

Quote:
cageyman wrote:- Bob, I don't know if you're a computer-phile, but if you are, you'd be darned unhappy to find that the manufacturers of your motherboard, video card, etc refused to release driver and/or bios updates to improve your hardware (including fixes and enhancements), and I posit that such manufacturers would quickly find themselves in the cold, because competitors do in fact support their hardware after the fact.

HA! I just have to respond. When I upgraded from W98SE to XP I lost some compatability from my (recently purchased, before the XP upgrade) hp all-in-one printer. Some functions no longer worked because of the new XP code. This happened with many other pre-XP peripherals. Some manufacturers did update there drivers. Some did not.
Hewlett-Packard (hp) did not. Even after many consumer requests and complaints - they did not. They are still going strong.

I had to buy a brand new upgraded (fully compatible with XP)model all-in-one printer.

Some facts of life:
If you don't have clout - you can't turn things about.
Sh*t Happens!.
Life is full of regrets. If you don't want any, stay in the womb.

Grab your camera and go out and have some fun.

:|

m.achure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 1:11 PM   #24

Bad example:P
One mistake doesn't justify other mistakes.
fz_10user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 2:22 PM   #25

m.achure, your mistake for going to XP. :-)

Seriously, though, for every one example of that kind of behaviour, there are countless examples of companies which did support their products.

(me, I've stuck with Win 2000 so far, and will as long as possible :O)

BTW, don't infer too much from our comments. I love my camera, I even recommended it to a female friend of mine who's looking for her first digicam. I did point out pros and cons of it and other ultrazoom cameras, including the fact that Canon fixed bugs in their S1 with an upgrade - but I also said I think the FZ10 is still better than the S1, but that she should try each camera out herself.

Meanwhile, I also pointed her to a couple of forums, and now each forum is revealing how Panasonic apparently has no intention of supporting the FZ10. I don't know if that'll affect her (if it were me, I'd still buy a Panasonic this year, but only because it's still the best camera for my needs - if one by Nikon or Canon came close, I'd select them because I would know that I'd receive future enhancements and fixes).

Anyway, my .01 worth.
cageyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 4:08 PM   #26

As it's mentioned, our new models add many features that our customers have been asking for. I feel this alone demonstrates our quest for constant improvement.
obviously not, from what ive been reading , the customer wanted updates on there current 6-7 month old cameras ,not to have to go and buy a new one, i feel these issues are still unresolved, i tend not to post alot i read and absorb before i make comments, and what ive read seems like yall missed your mark.I reckon the bottom line is that Panasonic is an electronics manufacturer and are in that mode , however photographers are not your standard i got to have this cuz its the latest greatest in electronics, they are well if you get down to it , artist , in there own right, they see thing inonly theway that there own unique i can see , and when the camera doesnt respond properly or give them what thereeye sees they will try and try and try again to get the perfect shot, with most photographers the last thing that they blame is the camera , they will say to themselves over and over i must have done something wrong, well in the case here i doesnt appear as if the photographers at fault, and we love our FZ10's but we recognize its small comings and believe that a careing manufactor would resolve the issues before them , and not expect that offering a New Camera will solve the problems, we are not ones to buy every new product for the sake of buying it and saying we have it, and Panasonic needs to get out of that train of thought , if they are in Photography for the long haul, returns customers are business , and seeing as word of mouth is sales and the internet now is the new word of mouth, well , i think Ive said enough, I'm sure someone out there in this huge internet world gets my point, even if it is not Panasonic
krazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 4:41 PM   #27

Clint751 wrote:
Quote:
snip The "sell 'em and screw 'em" support attitude will keep me from buying another Panasonic camera snip
Clint

Snap
glyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 7:04 PM   #28

Hi all,

I am in the market for a new digital camera, and up until I read about Panasonic's lack of commitment to its customers I was planning on buying the FZ10 (or one of it's successors). I understand Bob's point about not being able to put improvements on a firmware update, but it does seem that there are some legitimate bugs/issues that should be able to be fixed with a free firmware update. I also find it ridiculous that a $600 EVF camera does not provide a RAW output. I don't think this camera is aimed at the casual snap-shooter, unless they are exceptionally wealthy. Panasonic should realize that to be a serious player in the digital camera industry they need to provide the support and tools that photographers need and have come to expect from the other major players like Canon and Olympus.

That being said, I still think that the FZ10 is a technical marvel. 12x zoom with OIS is what drew me to the camera, and compared to what an equivalent SLR lense would cost, a steal at $600.

My question to the forum is, should I still be considering the FZ10 (or 20)? More importantly, are you current Panasonic owners happy with the company? Is anyone definitely planning on purchasing a Panasonic in the future? I know the posters in this forum only constitute a small percentage of Panasonic users, but you are the enthusiasts and experts who feel strongly about photography, and I consider your opinions more valuable then a random sample of panasonic owners (or marketing wonks at industry shows).

Thanks in advance,

Frey
apathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 10:02 PM   #29

Guerito wrote:
Quote:
They told you the truth, there will never be an upgrade for the FZ10, but rather a whole new model :?
Yes, because they learn from FZ2 that firmware upgrade doesn't make money for them.

And more of it is that Bob came with stupid statement that the bug is actually a feature...oh....no.
:sad:
jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 1:56 AM   #30

m.achure wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
HA! I just have to respond. When I upgraded from W98SE to XP I lost some compatability from my (recently purchased, before the XP upgrade) hp all-in-one printer. Some functions no longer worked because of the new XP code. This happened with many other pre-XP peripherals. Some manufacturers did update there drivers. Some did not. Hewlett-Packard (hp) did not. Even after many consumer requests and complaints - they did not. They are still going strong. I had to buy a brand new upgraded (fully compatible with XP) model all-in-one printer.
I've purchased a laptop, a monitor, a scanner and two printers since HP policy on driver updates became public knowledge. Not one has been a HP product.

I'm currently looking for my next digicam and this one is going to have a long lense. I will NOT buy a product from a company that doesn't provide firmware updates to resolve inherent problems. Even when Panasonic releases the FZ40 with RAW capability I will still not consider them if I feel there is a risk of being stuck with a product that does not work as expected and there will be no fix for several months if any.

Better yet, amongst my peer group, I am a strong influencer of digicam purchases. I am going to reach out and touch 50, 100, maybe 200 others with a negative message.

I read that press release today by the senoir manager of Matsushita where he stated that they want to have 10% of the digicam marketplace. They are not going to be able to take business away from the likes of Olympus, Canon, Nikon, Sony, unless they do a better job responding to customer issues.

NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote