Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 21, 2004, 8:47 AM   #1

hey guess what, the new models have what everyone wanted to be FIXED with there FZ10, but the main problem is they haven't offered firm ware upgrades to a relatively new camera, now thats a shame, i for one am not going to go and buy the new camera when i only bought the one i have in December, so it seems to me the only type of upgrade your going to get is if you put your FZ10 down and go buy the FZ20. That wont happen here I'm not going to go throwing $600 every 6 months to get an upgrade for issues which should have been resolved on the current model.
krazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2004, 11:27 AM   #2

Krazy,

I know what you mean. I bought one in December and for the most part have been pleased. It still is a nice value. But it is frustrating that some of the things that could be fixed by firmware won't be. It certainly isn't unreasonable for us to want fixes because we watch every other major manufacturer post updates, especially recently.

I know that firmware doesn't bring in revenue like new cameras do. I'm sure it is just a calculated risk, meaning they know they'll tick off some FZ-10 owners, but hopefully not enough to make them look elsewhere when purchasing a new camera down the road.

More interesting to me will be how they respond when issues develop with the new cameras. Will these people be told that these are "features" of the FZ15 and FZ20, only to find them "corrected" by the FZ30 7-8 months down the road? Hopefully they realize that a large part of consumer satisfaction in any industry is what happens after the sale and how any problems are handled.
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 11:32 AM   #3

Moreover, the FZ10 is still headlined as NEW in both the US and here in the UK.

I only bought mine a couple of weeks back. So imagine how I feel given that Panasonic made reassurances that the shortage of supply of the FZ10 here in the UK was because of the demand, not because there was a new model.

As it happens it seems they will continue selling the FZ10 in the UK at least - so it is still new I guess, and hasn't been replaced.

But I would happily have waited for a FZ20 had I have known

Wont be rushing out to buy another Panasonic...
lawrencew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 12:51 PM   #4

I wholeheartedly agree with all the statements made here. The "sell 'em and screw 'em" support attitude will keep me from buying another Panasonic camera or any other Panasonic product for that matter. I like the FZ10, but having to constantly work around the darkening EVF issue for the kind of photography (macro) I like to do is very frustrating. The fact that they refuse to correct such an obvious flaw or mistake and continue to call it a feature, in spite of the fact that no user comment I have ever seen expressed it as a desireable attribute, exempifies their attitude. I bought this camera for its manual control features only to find manual is almost unuseable due to the darkening EVF. If it is such a wonderful feature, why isn't it listed in the feature set? "One outstanding attribute of the FZ10 is that in manual mode the EVF will darken to the point of being unusable - even if you are using a flash. No other camera we know of offers this amazing feature."

I have recommended the FZ10 to several people but I will now retract those recommendations and advise them to look elsewhere. Panasonic, I think you have infuriated a lot of your customers by not providing a firmware fix for the known flaws in the FZ10. Not only are you likely to lose them as future customers but also everyone that they know. Word spreads quickly on the Internet and a word to the wise would be," Issue a firmware fix before you find you have screwed yourself a lot more than your customers."

--

Clint

Clint751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 1:25 PM   #5

Agree! Whilst some features can not be upgraded due to the limitation of "old" venus engine. Many of them could be upgraded through firmware. I guess even the "AF assit light" can be added to FZ10 because the light is already there!! (can panasonic not upgrade the firmware to "tell" the light to switch on when focusing?)
I really love my FZ10 but am so regret that Panasonic didn't care about there customers! (poor aftersale service!!)
fz_10user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 1:39 PM   #6

I totally aggree with Clint as I face the exact same problems in Macro, and missed quite a few shots due to the darkening EVFISSUE (sorry, I can't get myself to call it "feature" anymore, even with a smile). Same thing withthe 1/60s speed limit when using external flash in AP mode.

Not to mention the lack of infinity focus lock that coupled with the dark EVF makes shooting landscapes by night extremely frustrating. To be clear, focusing beyong infinity is not what I would call a feature at all.

What is needed, and what most of us ask forhere is not a firmware "upgrade", but clearly a firmware "FIX".

The EVF / limited shutter speed issue,CAN be fixed via software as I can't figure out how the hardware could be limitating here... Please correct me if I'm wrong, and provide me with some conclusive info.

I've now had my FZ10 for a couple of months, andwas patiently waiting for Panasonic to release a free firmware to fix these issues. Meanwhile I was advertizing the FZ10 on some french internet forums, showing off what this (otherwise great) cam can do in optimal conditions.

In fact,I was secretly hoping to see it coming slighly BEFORE or at the same time as the new products announcements. Nowthe new cams are officially out, and no fix in sight...Not even a hint... I must say that my consideration for the Panasonic customer support is shrinking fast... about the same speed as my frustration grows...

David

ddsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 2:12 PM   #7

David, I use a work-around for the dark EVF problem when using manual mode and an external flash and taking macro pics. It's not as good as not having the problem, but it makes it doable. See my message at:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=9518529
Clint751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 2:56 PM   #8

As I mentioned in another post, the cameras we just introduced includes many of the features that customers have asked for. The new features are supported by new hardware that includes the new Venus Engine II. Our new models are not old models with new firmware. Adding features through firmware to the original Venus engine adds additional workload and would decrease the overall performance and published specifications would change. The decision to develop the Venus Engine II was necessary if features were added and performance enhancements were expected.

In the DMC-FZ10, the location now used for the focus assist light, was a light sensor. Its function is now integrated into the lens, so the physical location can now be used for the focus assist light. I can understand how a photo sensor could be mistaken for an LED but the only common issue is the location.

While I can understand how many of you would like some upgrade path, firmware can't replace new hardware, and this situation similar to purchasing a new 2005 auto right now. If you insist on having the latest model the upgrade path is selling the 2004 model and purchasing the 2005.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 3:19 PM   #9

Panasonic wrote:
Quote:
In the DMC-FZ10, the location now used for the focus assist light, was a light sensor. Its function is now integrated into the lens, so the physical location can now be used for the focus assist light. I can understand how a photo sensor could be mistaken for an LED but the only common issue is the location.
I think it's more than JUST a light sensor, a light sensor won't blink when it's counting down.

Quote:
[size=3][font="Times New Roman"]
While I can understand how many of you would like some upgrade path, firmware can't replace new hardware, and this situation similar to purchasing a new 2005 auto right now. If you insist on having the latest model the upgrade path is selling the 2004 model and purchasing the 2005.
Let's see what would happen if FZ10 was a car.
We have here a 2003/2004 model. The windscreen will turn completly dark when you use manual mode, what's going to happen guys?:?
And this is only one of the many issues.
fz_10user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 3:38 PM   #10

To Panasonic...
All we are asking for is a little common sense on your part.
IF you can supply a firmware FIX for even some of the problems, it would go a long way with your LOYAL customer .
There are people over here in the UK that have justgot the FZ10 (shops are still selling it NEW) & have now found out that Panasonic have get another camera to sell them.
That's like buying a new car & finding out the company have just brought out a new model after you've only had the other car foronly 3 months...
IF the company line is still NO FIX, then can you (or some other person within the company)at least give us some tips on getting round some of the problems other forum members have be having or even provide some sort of discount for customers who have just obtain the FZ10.
As mentioned on this discussion - IF you don't do this - not only will you lost customers, but the knock on will spread to your other products as well.
So be nice people & helps your customers.

Thanks for reading this....
rn5577 is offline   Reply With Quote