Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 21, 2004, 1:39 PM   #1

The situation of upgrading FZ1 -> FZ2 might have taught panasonic a lesson - People won't pay for an upgrade that could be achieved by firmware.
Here's a suggestion: why not sell the firmware upgrade at a reasonable price, say US30?? And do the upgrade at service center to ensure no one "pirate" the firmware?
fz_10user is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2004, 1:54 PM   #2

I would almost agree on that, BUT...

Maybe I would consider paying for an upgrade in features such as SHQ jpg, eventhough I don't think it would be an encouraging commercial practice by Panasonic unless the improvements are as important as for the FZ1 upgrade.

BUT whatFZ10 customers areasking for right now is not an "upgrade"... It is plainly and simply a firmware FIX on what most of us consider serious software MISCONCEPTIONS, and this should be FREE, and has been awaited too long already...

David
ddsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 2:09 PM   #3

I get your point. But I'd also like an upgrade firmware for other features apart from bug fix.
My good old JNC mp3 player (2 yrs old) functions almost like a new one in the market today except battery consumption and internal memory :lol: Thanks to IRiver's aftersale support, they release firmware upgrade every several months! Wish Panasonic could do it too!
Old Jul 21, 2004, 2:10 PM   #4

WHat would make more sense, is you could trade in your FZ10 for a FZ15 for say, a price of $50. Or you could trade it in for a FZ20 for say, $100.

I think that would be a good idea... (not sure how practical it would be for Panasonic, but that isn't my problem ).
blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 2:18 PM   #5

Panasonic will dismantle your FZ10 and put the lens into FZ15/20 and sell it to the others.
Or perhaps replace the outer case and rebrand it as FZ15:lol:
I don't think they'd offer a trade-in.
Old Aug 17, 2004, 9:44 AM   #6

Not wishing to fuel this particular fire, but Palm (now PalmOne) offers trade-in discounts on their Palm products. The lastest thing they had going is that you get $50 for trading in ANY Palm organizer on a new Palm or even refurbished Palm from the PalmOne store. That means you could dig up your original 1mb Palm Pilot and get $50 for it, which is better than you'd get on Ebay.

I think a 50% value trade-in would be very reasonable. Panasonic can then take the used cameras, refurbish them, and sell them for 75% value. Since fixing appearance issues are not usually part of refurbishing, all they'd have to do is make sure the camera's functions performed to spec, so there really wouldn't be that much overhead. So, basically, you'd get 1/2 the MSRP for your FZ10 as long as you traded it toward a new, higher model. Seems reasonable to me. Plenty of manufacturers do this with their products...cars, powertools, computers, etc.

=============

Chris
POTW Contests at:
www.FZ-Club.com
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote