Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 21, 2004, 7:40 PM   #1

Ok, now your hear, i am asking all fz10 owners to clarify for me why the fz15 does not have a hot shoe? i did not realize this at first till i read more closely at specs.

does this mean that pictures in low light indoors and banquets(weddings and concert ect.) will not turn good at all....i've read alot about getting a sunpack 383 and using it to bounce around to make portraits and indoor stuff better for the fz 10.(ie family pictures indoor)

i am a bit confused on what to do here, i have read the problems with the fz10, but i am not too sure if they all apply to what i want to do. so here goes....

i will be taking pictures of landscapes and architecture on vacations in the day and night, like a cool shot of eifel tower in france at night ect....then mostly indoor family stuff, and perhaps some action shots at sporting events(again outdoors)... so i understand that an external flash like the sunpack 383 can solve almost all indoor situation if needed. i am not an expert in photo taking, i am very novice, but feel that i can easily learn a few simple things like aperture and when to use an external flash and also already know to keep iso locked to 50. to keep noise out.

I don't plan to take macro stuff which i hear is somewhat difficult with the fz10...what about this dimming of evf and lcd screen in low light manual, is auto ok in low light...i didn't notice this at the camera shop in manual mode but it wasn't dark either. about infinite settings like taking horizon shots, seem from what i hear difficult to set, but i beleive the users of this camera have found almost always a way around a problem to have great shots most of the time...

i am going on a trip to croatia in september, and most likely the fz15 won't be widely available, so i think of getting the fz10 anyways, but i hope the price point drops soon. i am hoping to play around with camera for 4 weeks prior to get used too it and learn the tricks

is the missing hot shoe on the fz15 giving the camera problems indoor, or trying to take pictures of subjects further then 8meters?????

thanks for all your input

belz
Belz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2004, 7:52 PM   #2

One thing someone else pointed out to me was that the FZ15 apparently does not have a microphone or voice dubbing capabilities. Does that also mean that the video mode has no sound?

If the FZ15 is anything like the little FZ1 which also does not offer a flash shoe, you will most likely not need an external flash very often. I have a really nice, working slave flash setup for my FZ1, and I simply never use it because (1) I don't want to carry it with me all the time and (2) I just haven't really needed it to date.

I think this is a case of Panasonic offering as much of a variety as possible -- if you need a flash shoe, get the FZ10 or FZ20 -- if not, get the FZ3 or FZ15.

-------------------

Chris
www.FZ-Club.com
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 3:45 AM   #3

except as I understand it, the FZ10 wont be available anymore once the FZ15 is out.

So the option is

4mp and no hotshoe

or

Hotshoe and 5mp noise

What a choice.....
lawrencew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 4:30 AM   #4

to be honest, the FZ15 sounds like it's exactly what i want

i've no need for the hot-shoe (doesn't the fz15 have a much longer range flash than the fz10 anyway?), no desire to make movies or record sound, no need for 5 mega-pixels but do want the improved continuous shooting , focus assist lamp, etc

yet the FZ15 is USA only? WWHHHYYYYYY ????
aldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 6:56 AM   #5

As I understand it (from my theory of marketing 101:-))

The smaller the market, then the less number of models that market can support. When the product differentiation isn't big enough, then the cost of selling and supporting all those models is counterproductive compared to the number sold.

So, in the UK they probably figure that the differences in the stepsbetween the FZ3, 10, 15, and 20 are too small - the numbers sold of each would be too small. So they cut a model or 2 out. It wouldn't surprise me if before too long the FZ10 disappears and the 3 and 20 are the only models in the UK

Now the EU ought to be a big enough market - but they still face localization in terms of language and power - so again they choose not to do all the models

Whereas the US, as the biggest single market can afford to have a broad range of models to support every individuals needs.

QED :-)
lawrencew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 9:49 AM   #6

so getting back to the question , oops more then one i asked.

is the lack of hotshoe on fz15 going to be a problem for low light indoor stuff, and subjects further than the flash can reach lets say 7meters+..

also on those night shots with long exposures of buildings and stuff, i assume a flash external or internal is not used right...new guy trying to understand

thanks

mario

Old Jul 22, 2004, 10:30 AM   #7

Belz wrote:
Quote:
is the lack of hotshoe on fz15 going to be a problem for low light indoor stuff, and subjects further than the flash can reach lets say 7meters+..
Yes, that might be an issue and keep in mind that 7meters is on auto iso (which probably means 400iso). But most of the time, indoors shots should be within the internal flash range (probably about 3-4 meters if you don't want too much noise).

Quote:
also on those night shots with long exposures of buildings and stuff, i assume a flash external or internal is not used right...new guy trying to understand
In that case, no flash is needed, so no problem.

Hope this helps,

David
ddsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 12:28 PM   #8

thanks david

can somebody explain to me what i won't be able to do with an external flash, keep in mind i don't intend to stand behind my computer and edit my photo's like crazy in photoshop....

what kind of pictures is an external flash usefull? this will help me to make my final decision on waiting for fz15 or fz10

thanks

belz

Old Jul 22, 2004, 2:27 PM   #9

Hi again Belz,

I use mine especially for Macro, and for outdoors picspast sunset.

I use it indoors too, but i'd say that the internal flash would be enough in 70-80% of the time, probably not as good, but good enough. Moreover, the internal flash is auto, as the external cannot be TTL.

David
ddsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 7:43 PM   #10

so since i don't plan to do much macro if any, the external flash is not really necessary most of the time except for those cool sunset pics of landscapes and buildings, which i plan to do alot, since it is so much niceer....plus the fz15 might not be available soon enough for my trip on september 14 to croatia

so i guess i can only hope the price point of fz10 drops a bit once dealer availability is now with the new cameras

later