Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 27, 2004, 2:29 AM   #71

When the price of a product is chosen, and all the features and support are locked in, the only consideration of price, is whether it will sell at that price. I know a lot of people don't have $500 to throw away. I don't either. But I also know and understand that when I buy a product, the price I pay for it pays for the features that were intended and a set warranty. Whether it was tough for me to buy that product, or replace it with another has no effect on how a manufacture is going to view its features or warranty, because the price was set by said features and warranty.

Let me put it another way. If you pay $5to swim in a pool that is not heated and it would normally cost $10 to swim in a heated pool. The lifeguard isn't going to refund your money because the waterin the non-heatedwas a little too cool.

FZFUN
FZFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 4:47 AM   #72

I think people are getting upset, mainly because they can see the excellent potential of this camera. If it was understood that this simply wasn't technically possible, then we would be talking about some other fixable issue. The fact is, it has been addressed on other Panasonic cameras (FZ1 from memory) with a firmware update, and that of course, only adds fuel to the fire.
StormyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 1:05 PM   #73

FZ Fun:

On the other hand if the life guard could just throw a cover over he pool so it would heat up on it's ownwhen not in use.....wouldn't that make that pool even more popular to go to???...$5 and it is heated.

michael_mattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 5:47 PM   #74

Maybe the best answer is for some well meaning tech to do for the Panasonic FZ-10 what the Rusian hacker did for the Canon Digital Rebel. I just see that Panasonic will not come out with a firmware update for the FZ-10. In any case, I'm selling off my FZ-10 and have been quite happy with my new "Firmware upgadable" Nikon D70.

Jim
tk6411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 12:58 AM   #75

Ah..but in this case, the pool is a non-standard size, and he would have to have the cover custom made, and for the price of having that done, he'd have to fill the pool with enough people to push all the water out of the pool.

FZFUN
FZFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 10:57 AM   #76

Ack! This is getting torturous!

Like Steve said, nobody promised to do any post-sales improvements. We've had our whinge and maybe Panasonic will act. If so, then great. If not, then we take this experience with us next time we go camera shopping. Everything else has already been said.
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 2:10 PM   #77

ddsm wrote:
Quote:
memberkgb wrote:
Quote:
I am 15 and have been using point and shoot cameras for my whole life. I always wanted a nice camera, this one just blew me away. If you spent a little time learining how to get around a problem you can get proffesional shots easily. I don't understand what you are complaining about, are the pictures not good enough? If someone could maybe list all the things a firmware can change, it won't give you focus assist lamp, pretty much the only thing this camera really is missing, as for the rest this is the #1 camera in its class, no matter the size, because I think the size of this camera is great, unlike some people say.
Hi memberkgb,

My 15th birthday is┬*far behind me now, but I do understand your enthousiasm about the FZ10.┬*

Now, what point exactly are you trying to make when you say┬*"If you spent a little time learining how to get around a problem you can get proffesional shots easily" ? It seems to me that those of us who are concerned about that EVF/LCD bug did spend a lot of time shooting with that cam. Speaking for myself I shot around 12.000 pics since I've got my FZ10, in vaious┬*situations, different┬*kind of photos┬*and in every mode available.┬*And as for the problem we encounter when using manual mode, we did find some work around. BUT the work around has it's own limitations, so in some cases there are no way out.

BTW, who exactly are "some people" in "I think the size of this camera is great, unlike some people say" ? I haven't seen anybody saying that this cam is not great... We're just saying that it's sotware is flawed in it's conception...

Microdolx refers to your post as "The wisdom of the young", I would call that "over enthusiat┬*youth┬*lacking┬*some humility" ┬*

David
Before buying this camera i read a bunch of reviews of people complaining about the space to hold the camera being to small. Also alot of negatives beacaseut his is a big camera for its calss. Also im not saying people didnt take time to learn about their camera, itsj ust that the most major problem with the camera cant be fixed with a firmware update, thereforeyou need to learn to get aorund it. "the focus assist lamp" Leo.
memberkgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 2:13 PM   #78

ddsm wrote:
Quote:
memberkgb wrote:
Quote:
I am 15 and have been using point and shoot cameras for my whole life. I always wanted a nice camera, this one just blew me away. If you spent a little time learining how to get around a problem you can get proffesional shots easily. I don't understand what you are complaining about, are the pictures not good enough? If someone could maybe list all the things a firmware can change, it won't give you focus assist lamp, pretty much the only thing this camera really is missing, as for the rest this is the #1 camera in its class, no matter the size, because I think the size of this camera is great, unlike some people say.
Hi memberkgb,

My 15th birthday is┬*far behind me now, but I do understand your enthousiasm about the FZ10.┬*

Now, what point exactly are you trying to make when you say┬*"If you spent a little time learining how to get around a problem you can get proffesional shots easily" ? It seems to me that those of us who are concerned about that EVF/LCD bug did spend a lot of time shooting with that cam. Speaking for myself I shot around 12.000 pics since I've got my FZ10, in vaious┬*situations, different┬*kind of photos┬*and in every mode available.┬*And as for the problem we encounter when using manual mode, we did find some work around. BUT the work around has it's own limitations, so in some cases there are no way out.

BTW, who exactly are "some people" in "I think the size of this camera is great, unlike some people say" ? I haven't seen anybody saying that this cam is not great... We're just saying that it's sotware is flawed in it's conception...

Microdolx refers to your post as "The wisdom of the young", I would call that "over enthusiat┬*youth┬*lacking┬*some humility" ┬*

David
Before buying this camera i read a bunch of reviews of people complaining about the space to hold the camera being to small. Also alot of negatives beacaseut his is a big camera for its calss. Also im not saying people didnt take time to learn about their camera, itsj ust that the most major problem with the camera cant be fixed with a firmware update, thereforeyou need to learn to get aorund it. "the focus assist lamp" Leo.
memberkgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 2:52 PM   #79

FZ Fun:

Please explain WHY he would need to empty the pool inorder to have a pool cover?

The hardware store sells just about any size plastic tarp you could want.

michael_mattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 7:49 AM   #80

lawrencew wrote:
Quote:
Frankly the FZ10 is a good camera with a great long zoom lens. It isn't a great camera, and take away that lens and I wouldn't have given it a 2nd look.
You're right about that, what is so great about it other than the lens?
StormyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote