Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 29, 2004, 8:35 PM   #81

Notice, I said in this case the tarp was a non-standard size, so he'd have to have it custom made. The point being that in order to make his money back to pay for the tarp, he'd have to fill the pool with enough people that there wouldn't be enough room for the water. Defeating the purpose of the pool.

My over all point is that sometimes you can end up spending more money than an item is worthtrying to overcome a situation, than if you just move on to something else.In this case, I think that is what happened with the FZ10 and FZ20. Panasonic just realized that it would cost more to fix than it would to just incorporate into the next release. I think that is also why they didn't wait the full year to release it. I think they felt that the faster they get itout, the better the chances of the natural momentum of the FZ10 wouldhave of carrying over to the FZ20.

Iwill probably want to see the manual for the FZ20, but so far, I've seen some intriguing stuff listed on their web site about it.

FZFUN
FZFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 8:53 PM   #82

One of the reasons I got the FZ10 is because I already liked an older camera they had, the PV-SD5000. By today's standards, this camera is a clunker, but at the time that I bought it, it was pretty revolutionary.

The funny thing is, the 4090 was out about 1.5 years before they released it, and had established such a reputuation, that even when the 5000 came out and outclassed it in resolution and features, the 4090 overshadowed it in sales.

So shelf life can vary, and sometimes even last beyond the subsequent release of a new model.

And based off of the excitement I've seen with the FZ1 and the FZ10, I would not be surprised if it sticks around beyond the normal release time.

FZFUN:|

FZFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 3:22 PM   #83

Did anyone tell you to expect firmware updates when you bought my camera? My FZ-10K wasn't sold with that expectation. I bought it anyway, because even with the problems people were having/had, it's still almost exactly what I need.
Red Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 8:53 PM   #84

StormyKnight wrote:
Quote:
You're right about that, what is so great about it other than the lens?

Build quality, size, retro SLR look and image quality (good CCD and electronics)....
Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2004, 4:10 AM   #85

Red Viper wrote:
Quote:
Did anyone tell you to expect firmware updates when you bought my camera?
No one told me to expect a specific update, but right here in this very forum it was stated by Panasonic that the FZ10 is firmware updatable. Coupled with that and the thread that was sticky at the time polling for features, it did raise a small degree of expectation that some of the minor FZ10 flaws might be fixed.
lawrencew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2004, 7:03 PM   #86

Yes, it's possible to update the FZ10's firmware.

It's also possible for me to throw my bottle of water across the room.

Doesn't mean it'll happen.
Red Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2004, 2:38 PM   #87

Red Viper wrote:
Quote:
Yes, it's possible to update the FZ10's firmware.

It's also possible for me to throw my bottle of water across the room.

Doesn't mean it'll happen.
I really don't understand your comparison. If "that won't happen", it is the same as the camera not being updatable. Of course, it could still happen in a future...
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote