Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 22, 2004, 1:22 PM   #1

You would have to observe from the level and nature of comment over the last few days in this forum, that it would be much simpler for Panasonic to just fix the simple flaws in the FZ10, than continue to try and spin their way out of it.

Not only would they suddenly win back a lot of support from the existing customer base, more importantly perhaps it would stop this forum becoming a PR nightmare for them and a complete no go area as far as prospective customers are concerned.

Can you imagine the reaction to anyone asking with regard to a forthcoming FZ3/15/20 purchase "anything negative I should know"

or an even more direct "how is Panasonics support? Do they provide firmware updates?"

And these ARE common questions that get asked of all vendors in any forum

Just bite the bullet and do it....
lawrencew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2004, 5:25 PM   #2

lol, you actually think Panasonic cares? we're not the whole FZ10 community. i bet 99% of the people with Panasonic cameras do not read these forums. we do not represent a large enough population for panasonic to give a damn.

face it, panasonic isn't going to release firmware updates, nor do they care for the early adopters of the FZ10.
loudtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 6:44 PM   #3

loudtiger wrote:
Quote:
lol, you actually think Panasonic cares? we're not the whole FZ10 community. i bet 99% of the people with Panasonic cameras do not read these forums. we do not represent a large enough population for panasonic to give a darn.

face it, panasonic isn't going to release firmware updates, nor do they care for the early adopters of the FZ10.
Hmm...may be, but according to Panasonic Bob the input from this forum on what would be desirable in an FZ camera was instrumental in the changes made in the FZ20. So, the forum users may have more impact than you think. So, if you think we won't be heard and should just "shut up" -- well, I don't think that is gonna happen. Panasonic, or any one else, can't go by what the "Silent Majority" does NOT say, they will need to listen to those who say something because that is the only input there is no matter what percentage of FZ owners it may be -- there is really no other choice.

Clint751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 9:17 PM   #4

Yes, not everyone able to read this forum and even on Ebay today some guy push up the price for a FZ10 over $590 USD, and I am sure he/she does not really care to surf the net to get a better price or notice the new release of FZ15, or FZ20. However, for those who knew about this forum and the way how Panasonic treated there customer would have an affect of their buying choice.

For example: I posted just couple days ago that I returned a FZ10 for a 10% stocking fee charge. First, I was glad that I could have an option to see what FZ20 can do before I put down my money. Now, I am even more happier, coz can buy something else than Panasonic. I will go for A2, or Pro1, or C8080, but no FZ......unless Panasonic change there way of treating their customer.

As far as Bob, he just doing his job and the Panasonic policy still play a big role of what Bob can do or not do.

Good Luck with your FZ......camera

CheapPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 12:39 AM   #5

In fact, we can raise this issue in other forums if anyone think that Steves' represents a "minority". I'm sure words will spread around on the internet quite fast. And some DC magazine gets their information on online forums..
fz_10user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 1:15 AM   #6

Well, I hate to break it to ya, but Panasonic is not really competing against other camera manufacturers, so much as other electronics manufacturers that make cameras. Expecting action based off of the practices of the camera industry is not going to bring what you want any closer, because they don't compare themselves to that market.

When push comes to shove, they offer a value package and a value price on a product. The market they are actually competing in does not allow for any expense that is not ABSOLUTELY necessary. Absolutely necessary being "The Camera does not function according to orgininal concept and design."

Most of the things you guys mention ARE great ideas. But if theywere not careful on how they keep their costs down on production and sales of the FZ10, then there would be no FZ20. And while some people don't like being forced to move on to the next generation and pay more money...Thats a great deal of what consumer level electronics is all about. This stuff is kept relatively cheap compared to professional modelsso that people can buy the latest and greatest year after year. I realize it doesn't always work that way. But it does a lot.

I support a multi-tude of electronics, and you would be amazed at how often I have spoken people that have been buying at least one unit a year of our stuff every year. I have even noticed that some people that do series of documentaries will have our newest models showing up in their movies year after year and not as purposeful product placement.

Your comments toBob count, because it allows him to at least ask thepeople in charge to take a look at the possibility of putting a feature into future models.If no one asks, he can't run to sales or whoever and go, "See! They're asking for this feature!" Thats not a guarantee you'll get it. But at least it creates the chance of getting it. In the end, the biggest person that has an impact on your ability to get features added in lives right in your area. Your dealers. They are ultimately the people that decide what features will sell the most. And they will often share the info of why they buy quanties based off of this demographic. In short...A lot of times, if a feature will adds some pennies on to the price of the unit, the dealers will say, "Un nope, sorry, not interested...That feature ain't worth the few pennies, and it isn't worth it to us to try and sell it." If you want to know why your requested features don't show up in those units, thats probably the real reason why. And to make things worse for you guys. The guys that come up with those figures, DO know their stuff, and more than likely have hit the hammer right on the head. I know you don't want to believe it. And I know why.. But believe it. Because this is every day business and many of these practices are tried, and tried, and tried, and super verified as being true.

That having been said. I am looking at the FZ20, and wondering if I should sell my FZ10 to get one. Truthfully, I want to get a professional camera, but I still don't want to give up a fun camera that has 12X optical zoom.

FZFUN

FZFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 1:48 AM   #7

It amazes me to see many people are suddenly so dissatisfied with their FZ10... You think it might have to do with the announcement of the new cameras???? Nahhh... that's just a coincidence..

Seriously, before that happened, people certainly discussed certain faults of the camera but in general people learned to work around them and otherwise enjoyed the camera. No camera is perfect but the majority seemed to like the FZ10..

NOW... it's like the worst camera ever made and people are demanding Panasonic to make it better.

If the FZ10 is really that bad, why didn't people do their homework and do some research before buying a camera you are SO unhappy with??
x10guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 1:57 AM   #8

I respectfully disagree. I don't think anyone has said they hate their camera, just that they're disappointed that Panasonic apparently doesn't care to support the FZ10 by fixing bugs with a firmware upgrade.

Check this forum, and you'll see posts regarding these problems (and a desire for a firmware upgrade) going back months, not just this past week.

I love my FZ10. It's great. But developers putting in a few weeks time to fix some bugs in a firmware upgrade would thrill me and others.

cageyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 2:06 AM   #9

x10guy wrote:
Quote:
It amazes me to see many people are suddenly so dissatisfied with their FZ10... You think it might have to do with the announcement of the new cameras???? Nahhh... that's just a coincidence..
My dear loyal Panasonic defender x10guy:
I'm not dissatified with my FZ10 but certainly dissappointed by FZ20. Check out the FZ20 sample I've posted.
fz_10user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 2:23 AM   #10

x10guy, just curious, do you assemble and upgrade your computer, or do you simply buy and hold one?

Because if you enjoy getting the best our of your machine, you'll likely have a good video card, motherboard, etc. And if you have good brands of those, I warrant you that you have available to you frequent fixes AND enhancements (!) via bios and driver updates.

Why are defenders setting up straw man arguments? Rather than discussing whether it's right and good for a company to support customers via firmware upgrades, they make a huge leap of assumption to something not factual - namely, that we don't like our FZ10's.

I love mine, but yes, I think Panasonic should fix a few things in software. Why is that unreasonable?
cageyman is offline   Reply With Quote