Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 23, 2004, 8:20 AM   #11

YenRug wrote:
Quote:
ddsm wrote:
Quote:
I guess we will have to wait a couple of months to see how good it actually is when it will be final.
Is that final, barring a needed firmware upgrade?
LOL! Troublemaker. :-)

cageyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 5:14 PM   #12

One of the interesting things I found before I bought my FZ10 was that the sample images on the Lumix Homepage weren't that good.

It was only after I'd run them through Photoshop that I discovered the real potential of the camera and made my decision to buy.

If you now look at the FZ20 samples you can see similar poor quality. (I've seen people raving about the bird images but goodness knows why.) The images are soft , some show noise levels and distortions in colour where you wouldn't expect .

Look closely and can you see any benefits of Venus 2 processing? Can you really detect anything that you wouldn't have acheived from your FZ10 resampled using something like SSpline. Are those images really taken with an FZ20?

I want to see some real user's results published before I make a judgement. So far all the images I've seen look like an ad man's mockup. Cynical...moi?
nippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 5:25 PM   #13

Now I'm confused, confused...

Should I buy the FZ10instead? What is gonna be the price difference? Did the 5Mp actually add noise to the pictures taken?

:?

Aaarghhhhhh...

José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 5:57 PM   #14

The noise seems pretty much like the noise at 200 on the FZ10. I think both 200 and 400 are not to be used on the FZ10, and it looks like it is the same for the FZ20.

I did a real quick Neat Image noise reduction (and I am a real newbie at the program, and I am sure someone else could do much better) and it seems pretty good at retaining detail.

http://www.blinblue.com/filtered.jpg
(click that for the full sized one).
blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 6:16 PM   #15

I'm not sure but i think you need to get equipment thats costs alot more to get better pictures on an A3+ format.... given it was taken on 200 ASA....and indoors....and "untreated"....straight from the camera. And i think you must really callibrate you monitor before passing judgement.
tuwalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 6:58 PM   #16

I like the one processed by neatimage, maybe the sample was taken without NR. I don't care. It's just telling me that Venus II is not a solution to all the problems FZ10 have. The fact that noise didn't show up in some brighter monitor in my company simply reminded me why some of the others said the photo quality is okay for them.
Sorry to disappoint those who'd hoped for miracle in FZ20, unfortunately THAT'S WHAT THE CURRENT FZ20 FIRMWARE CAN DO BEST!
fz_10user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 7:29 PM   #17

I think this photo is way too soft.For example, the hair on the girl on theright is not as sharp as i would've hope for. FZ-10 users is this common with your cameras?

Also under zoom it seems to have quite a few jpg artifacts. From the EXIF data attached to this file the compression is set to 6. Anyone know what setting this equates to?

Cropped photo below PNG format Zero compression.
Attached Images

StormyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 7:46 PM   #18

I don't really see the noise as being any worse than in in this pic.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa...ghtshot200.jpg

Does seem the noise reduction is high or the photo was out of focus though.
Telomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 8:15 PM   #19

Yes those noise levels are comparable. Looks like from ISO200 & up are to be avoided if noise is an issue. Of course a proper review/comparison will be required before a final judgement can be made.

I assume that the CCD in the FZ-15 is the same as the FZ-10? So the improvements of the VenusII should be directly comparable between the two cameras & then applied to the FZ20, thereby seeing if the5MP CCD is worse than thecurrent 4MP.

StormyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 8:43 PM   #20

As an aside the picture itself does print ok. Not quite as nice as I liked but I did a rushed job on a work printer. Certainly the noise wasn't such a huge issue when printed or in the picture is shrunk down a bit.
Telomar is offline   Reply With Quote