Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 23, 2004, 9:11 PM   #21

This is a rather poor choice of photos to demonstrate the fz20. The focus seems to be on the picture between and behind the girls. Thelettering on the bottles at the very topis quite clear. The girls are not. It is kind of noisy when viewed at 100% but I dont find it unacceptable for ISO200. Handheld at 1/20 sec - not bad at all. 8x10 print looks fine.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 9:34 PM   #22

Fred,

As I understand things, this pics was by noway ment to demonstrate the FZ20... In fact it seems that it is more of a leak from a preview.

Cheers,

David
ddsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 12:01 AM   #23

The FZ20 has the same size CCD as the FZ10. (Any larger, and the lens would have to be larger)
The FZ20 his a slightly higher resolution (5MP vs 4MP) but the FZ20 supposedly has a better noise reduction algorithm.

Hard to say anything until the production models actually start being reviewed.

My guess is that the noise levels should be fairly close.
x10guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 10:02 PM   #24

I don't think the noise is so bad in that picture, but the picture looks more like a video capture that a photograph.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 10:47 PM   #25

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
The focus seems to be on the picture between and behind the girls.
Some crops from the original PNG format zero compression.

The focus is clearlybehind the girls....delicious

Attached Images

StormyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2004, 11:04 PM   #26

dachshund wrote:
Quote:
i thought it's quite good
esp. the girl on the left

If you like that, you'll just love what the FZ10 can do...I did!

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=9661322
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 5:09 AM   #27

The relatively high noise levels of the FZ20 at ISO 200 are only to be expected. After all, it is using a 1/2.5"imaging sensor, versus larger cameras with 1/1.8" or even 2/3" sensors. However, you do get an f/2.8 wide open aperture and a 35-420mm zoom lens in a small package as a result of Panasonic's design choices. It would be interesting to see how large a camera would result if the same lens parameters were designed to use a 2/3" sensor. Of course, the price would no doubt be commensurately higher.

I think that the 5 MP sensor is probably a good tradeoff between noise and resolution. The noise, although quite visible when the images are viewed full size on a screen, seems to be reasonably smooth. I think that noise reduction programs will generally do a good job with the files.

The FZ20 also allows for TIFF files that will hopefully have the full unprocessed data from the sensor. If this is 12-bits in nature, then post processing should be able to yield good results that might previously have been unobtainable with the FZ10.

--
Witold.
WitWald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 8:59 AM   #28

I have a .21 20" monitor and the samples show that the noise is gone but so is the sharpness. (Church window and eagle feather detail)
playlong is offline   Reply With Quote