Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 28, 2004, 11:39 AM   #11

Do I assume from lack of any other responses that the FZ10 does not support PIM, even though other Panasonic cameras do?
lawrencew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 1:02 PM   #12

Below is the response that I got from Panasonic Canada. They don't sound too sure of themselves. Maybe those of you who are US or UK customers could ask the same question of your national Panasonic support centers?

I still don't understand why the Epson software recognizes (and applies) PIMadjustments in FZ10 images if the FZ10 isn't putting it there.

Thx ... Jim

>>Thank you for your email.

>>In regards to your question, unfortunately we do not believe it would be >>compatible. Our camera works only with Pictbridge and that is it.

>>Best regards,

>>Panasonic Customer Care

>>SM

>>-----Original Message-----

>>Subject: Product Features/Specs/Pricing, TV/Video/Camera (Consumer)

>>Does the FZ10 digital camera support Epson's Print Image Matching technology?

blakej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 2:43 PM   #13

DoestheFZ10 support EXIFPrint, EXIF 2.2, then instead?

It produces EXIF 2.2 compliant images AFAIK, does this mean it contains the correct image adjustment information for printers that support EXIFPrint?

EXIFPrint is an industry standard alternative to Epson PIM AFAIK.

I also just read that the Epson PIM II plug in for photoshop is EXIF2.2 compliant, and could it be THAT is the reason people are saying FZ10 images appear to support PIM. In fact it is PIM II that supports EXIF 2.2, and the FZ10 supports it too. Is that the case?

Old Jul 28, 2004, 4:50 PM   #14

That may be it. The PIM Import plugin has radio buttons forPRINT Image Matching II, EXIF Print, and Color Extension Only. Whether I select PRINT Image Matching II or EXIF Print the results are visually identical, right down to a 1600% zoom.

So I guess this means that any printer that supports EXIF Print would work as well as the Epson. Does anyone know if HP orCanon support EXIF Print?

Thx ... Jim

blakej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 6:33 PM   #15

blakej wrote:
Quote:
So I guess this means that any printer that supports EXIF Print would work as well as the Epson. Does anyone know if HP orCanon support EXIF Print?

Yes they do
Old Jul 30, 2004, 6:28 AM   #16

would be nice if someone from Panasonic could confirm that the FZ10 supports PIM
Old May 2, 2005, 6:18 AM   #17

The FZ10 even supports PIM II. Noticeable differences may be observed in images imported with the PIM II plugin into Photoshop versus those jpegs directly from the camera, especially in the histogram.

The PrintImageMatching Website
http://www.printimagematching.com/digital_cameras.php

indicates the FZ models
Panasonic DMC-FZ1*
Panasonic DMC-FZ1S*
Panasonic DMC-FZ10S*
Panasonic DMC-FZ10K*
Panasonic DMC-FZ15K*
Panasonic DMC-FZ20K*
Panasonic DMC-FZ20S*
Panasonic DMC-FZ3*

All support PIM and the newer PIMII.

The trouble with PIM2, and the FZ10 as this thread highlights is the lack of documentation.

On the PIM site, there is also a link for the PIM II photoshop plugin
http://www.printimagematching.com/cg...ce/WA0310.html

As, you can see on the PIM website, Panasonic supported PIM II from their early cooperation with Leica. For example, pictures from my DMC-LC 40, also have the PIM II information embedded.

Best wishes, David.
D.Durkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 5:23 PM   #18

dear Jim and Lawrence

Quote:
blakej wrote: The program ExifReader (http://www.takenet.or.jp/~ryuuji/min...fread/english/) displays a section called Print Image Matching in FZ10 files. So, I am guessing, the FZ10 does support PIM.

I understood the opposite. The PIM section in ExifReader is blank for an FZ10 file - and is hidden when you select "Hide Unknowns". I read that as it can't find any PIM data (and given every FZ10 image I looked at had the same values in the PIM section, I would say that confirms it)

Shame, I am in the market for a new printer and I checked on this following your post.
-- please see the screenshot from Exifer 3.0 while viewing an image shot with my FZ10. Exifer says that the version of PIM is 0250 (v2.5) and then provides some other values Unknown 0001,2,3,8 before providing PIM Contrast, Brightness, ColorB, Saturation and Sharpness. Then it provides more unknown PIM information. What you are seeing is that Exifer, does not know how to handle all of the information from the newer PIM II.

cheers, David.
Attached Images

D.Durkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 5:45 PM   #19

Little late Dave. Jim hasn't posted here since July 2004
DynamoHum is offline   Reply With Quote