Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 23, 2004, 4:16 PM   #1

Does the FZ10 support Print Image Matching? I thought I saw it somewhere, but now I can't find it.

... Jim
blakej is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2004, 2:40 PM   #2

Since Bob hasn't answered this yet (probably worn out by all the firmware posts), I'll post what I have found out.

The program ExifReader (http://www.takenet.or.jp/~ryuuji/min...fread/english/) displays a section called Print Image Matching in FZ10 files. So, I am guessing, the FZ10 does support PIM.

For those not familiar with PIM, it is a Epson standard where the camera can tell the printer how to adjust the picture for printing. I've noticed that it makes a significant difference in many FZ10 pictures. This would be a good solution for those who don't want to adjust each picture manually. I suspect it would only work with Epson printers though.

By the way, Epson also supplies a Photoshop plugin that reads the file and applies its adjustments in a single step. This allows the photo to be saved with the adjustments applied. I'm not sure if this plugin is only available to Epson printer owners. It works with Photoshop Elements too.

... Jim
Old Jul 26, 2004, 5:13 PM   #3

blakej wrote:
Quote:
The program ExifReader (http://www.takenet.or.jp/~ryuuji/min...fread/english/) displays a section called Print Image Matching in FZ10 files. So, I am guessing, the FZ10 does support PIM.
I understood the opposite. The PIM section in ExifReader is blank for an FZ10 file - and is hidden when you select "Hide Unknowns". I read that as it can't find any PIM data (and given every FZ10 image I looked at had the same values in the PIM section, I would say that confirms it)

Shame, I am in the market for a new printer and I checked on this followingyour post.
lawrencew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 7:18 PM   #4

This is becoming increasingly confusing. Epson's Film Factory software displays "PRINT Image Matching with ability to interpret EXIF Print data" when I right-click an FZ10 image. It doesn't display that when I right-click on images from my Oly 2100UZ.

But you are right, EXIFRead always displays the same values for each image and hides them when I select Hide Unknowns. Mind you, that may just mean that those fields are unknown to EXIFRead. They may be meaningful to Epson.

Panasonic Bob where are you?

... Jim

Old Jul 27, 2004, 3:22 AM   #5

The FZ10 is NOT listed amongst compatible cameras on Epsons website though.

I am not sure exif reader would not display the right data seeing as it has a PIM section. Still seems to me more like there's no data there.

I would be happy to be proved otherwise though, as it would help in my choice of a new printer
Old Jul 27, 2004, 4:22 AM   #6

I think there is a lot more to think of when it comes to what printer to use. You should research costs of printing each page, as well as speed.

Anything that PIM can do can be done in any half good graphics program, or in some cases even in the printer driver. You need to adjust the pictures to the way you want them to look after all.

The results obtained from this sample of PIM can be easily be obtain from a program like DC Enhancerwhich have a free version that does a pretty go job, or you can get the full blown that can read your EXIF data and act on that plus a whole lot more.

That way you don't have to be locked into an EPSON. If EPSON ends up being the best choice then you can compare the results between the two ways of improving the image.

StormyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 7:10 AM   #7

thanks stormyknight. I am well aware of all the different ways to improve an image, and realise there is more to printer selection than PIM

However, my dear wife doesn't want to go anywhere near a computer just to print her pictures - so having PIM support that would enabler her to get the best images when connecting the camera or card directly to the printer would be a bonus.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 7:40 AM   #8

this site http://www.printimagematching.com/di...cameras.php li lists Panasoniccameras that support PIM and PIM2

Annoyingly it seems to list almost every panasonic camera EXCEPT the FZ10
Old Jul 27, 2004, 8:43 AM   #9

lawrencew, point well taken. I can relate to that.
StormyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 8:50 AM   #10

WIFE: "how do I print these pictures?"

ME: "well connect up the camera to the computer with this cable, now copy the pictures across, you will probably need to create a new folder. Then open up Photoshop, and open the picture and then select image and..... "

WIFE: "Oh forget it, I will just take them down the developers"