Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 24, 2004, 3:25 PM   #11

Back to the original question - should you buy an FZxx?

I'd suggest you assess your needs, and find our which cameras meet those requirements, then visit forums and find out the pros AND cons for each camera (all have pros and cons). If possible, try the cameras out.

I wanted at least 10x zoom, so that made my choices simpler. Now, there is a new Minolta which wasn't out when I bought my FZ10, but I still like my camera.

My biggest issue with the FZ10 is the lack of infinity focus, which is hard to work around. The EVF issue is well known and certainly a problem. Neither kept me from the FZ10.

You might want to look at the Nikon 5700, though, if 8x is enough. Price on it has dropped alot, and they've really added some nice stuff via firmware (a friend of mine has it, and his photos look great).

Me, I love my FZ10, and can heartily recommend it.

cageyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 9:59 PM   #12

cageyman wrote:
Quote:
My biggest issue with the FZ10 is the lack of infinity focus, which is hard to work around. The EVF issue is well known and certainly a problem. Neither kept me from the FZ10.

Does this mean that on this camera, you can focus past infinity?

I had this on a SLR with an added telephoto lens. It wasn't that major as long as you could see your subject to focus on. (Something your not going to find out until you can look at the picture 1 pixel per screen pixel.)
StormyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2004, 12:04 AM   #13

Unfortunately, yes, you can focus past infinity. I have no idea if they can fix that problem (the FZ20/15 may still have it, I don't know), but it sure would be nice.

I got to use a friend's Canon Digital Rebel - wow, what a bright EVF! But I still prefer my FZ10 for my needs (and wallet).

Old Jul 25, 2004, 4:27 AM   #14

cageyman wrote:
Quote:
I got to use a friend's Canon Digital Rebel - wow, what a bright EVF! But I still prefer my FZ10 for my needs (and wallet).

The Digital Rebel hasn't got an EVF :-)
lawrencew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2004, 4:34 AM   #15

No wonder it works so well. Its a bit old fashioned using glass & stuff, but you would think and electronic version could replicate it's behaviour & actually improve it over the old fashioned glass.:?
StormyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2004, 5:02 PM   #16

LOL - ok, pretend I'm really stupid. :P

Of course, their view finder is bright, for old fashioned TTL. :-)

Anyway, another friend has the Oly C765 (I have eclectic friends - cameras include Nikon 5770, Oly C765, Fuji S5000 - yuk, the Digital Rebel, and even a D10). I haven't been able to see the D10, and I won't get to see the Digital Rebel any more (we're in separate states now).