Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 26, 2004, 8:24 AM   #11

Klaas wrote:
Quote:
StormyKnight wrote:
Quote:
In summary the EVF feature is for point & shoot users.

No, under normal conditions it's very usefull when using manual control as you can see how different settings for aperture and shutter time affect your shot. When the camera detects the use of flash it should brighten the EVF as it's only used for framing the shot, sadly it doesn't.....
Yes I agree partially to your point, hows this for an idea of how the EVF should work?

In manual mode....

Atall times it shows you what the ccd can see. Using auto-gain to compensate for really bright & like-wise really dark enviroments. That way its main purpose is so you can see the actual object to frame it.

The actual light level is shown as a meter on the screen - like a Film SLR.

By adjusting the various camera settings of aperture, ISO &shutter speed,the light meter will change accordingly, falling into the green zone if a shot is possible.

Doesn't full manual indicate the use of a light meter?

Isn't that a better use of the screen?

StormyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 8:43 AM   #12

StormyKnight wrote:
Quote:
Yes I agree partially to your point, hows this for an idea of how the EVF should work?

In manual mode....

Atall times it shows you what the ccd can see. Using auto-gain to compensate for really bright & like-wise really dark enviroments. That way its main purpose is so you can see the actual object to frame it.

The actual light level is shown as a meter on the screen - like a Film SLR.

By adjusting the various camera settings of aperture, ISO &shutter speed,the light meter will change accordingly, falling into the green zone if a shot is possible.

Doesn't full manual indicate the use of a light meter?

Isn't that a better use of the screen?

No, a light meter doesn't show you washed out highlights in a picture, the EVF preview does. Iadjust my settings based onthe preview histogram and the picture in my EVF.
Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 5:24 AM   #13

Perhaps if they had an on/off switch for this, both of us would be happy?
Old Jul 30, 2004, 12:37 PM   #14

I think it all comes down to this. Must FZ10 owners are pretty much agreeing that we have a pretty good camera. All that is needed is fix a couple of little problems and we'll be more than happy (especially the evf problem in low light)(and perhaps a little less compression for jpg). The FZ3, FZ15, and FZ20 are basically newly re-enginered cameras with new guts in them. We all realize that, and know that an fz10 won't be them. All we want is for Panasonic to show that when we point out problems that they care enough about us and have enough pride in their product to fix it. Thats what will make them become one of the top makers of digital cameras.
Dliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 1:53 PM   #15

Some genius who refered themselves as "semi-professional" have very good eyesight. They can see in complete darkness I suppose.

To make things easier, I sold my FZ10.
Problem solved.:lol:

Of course I won't be so stupid to get another DC from Panasonic.
And I will warn my friends about this nice "feature" of panasonic if they ask for advice on DC purchase.
fz_10user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 3:31 AM   #16

I'd never say never, as you could be missing out on a good camera in the future (5, 10,50 yrs perhaps) . It would have been nice to be informed of some of the limitations. I'm sure reviewers of these next Panasonic cameras hopefully will be mentioning the issues of these previous models. Hopefully anyway. Because we will be asking anyway. It would be interesting to see if any other brands suffer these problems.

The other thing is these SD card speeds. Should the cameras be tested to see what they are capable of, so that we can make an informed decision about card purchases.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 2:49 PM   #17

If the EVF darkening is what I think it is from what y'all have described, I like it.

If a shot's that dark, why would I want the EVF to tell me otherwise?
Red Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 3:10 PM   #18

Red Viper wrote:
Quote:
If the EVF darkening is what I think it is from what y'all have described, I like it.

Correct, but when I attach my external flash it becomes a bug....
Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 5:53 PM   #19

Red Viper wrote:
Quote:

Because when you are using a flash, the EVF isnt telling you what the shot would be like - it shows you what it thinks the image would look like with that aperture and speed if you weren't using a flash. But of course you image will look nothing like that.

Moreover, if you are using a flash because the light is low, then darkening the evf results in a double whammy - low light, and darkened evf - just what you DONT need to compose your shot.

There is no need for them to darken the evf when you are using a flash to try and give you a preview of the image - it just doesn't make sense. Unfortunately, Panasonic don't seem willing to realise that.
lawrencew is offline   Reply With Quote