Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 25, 2004, 6:25 PM   #1

For the last several months I've been reading the posts here and several other forums. And from the posts I decided to buy an FZ10 a month ago. Do I regret my purchase? Not at all. Would I buy another Panasonic Camera? Probably not. And this brings me to the point of this post: Panasonic's HUGE mistake! The FZ10 is a great camera I regularly take great pics at 1/10 sec in low light and get great shots with no tripod. (And usually get 80% at 1/4 to turn out) So why not buy another Panasonic? Main reason lack of support. Thats why I won't by anything HP makes. LACK OF SUPPORT! (had great printer, HP wouldn't provide xp upgrade drivers so had to get rid of it) Now panasonic comes out with FZ15 and 20 . The FZ15 seems to try to address alot of things mentioned on this forum and others, but they take away the hot shoe and sound for movies. The FZ20 get those back but from the sample pics I've seen you're going to get alot of noise trying to jam more pixels onto the same size chip. Oh and did I mention SUPPORT! with the record they've displayed with the FZ10 what do you think you'll get with the FZ15 and FZ20? So while I'm happy with my new FZ10 (now to be discountinued) Panasonic is going to loose the very customers they need- US! Because every one thinking about an FZ15 or FZ20 and for that matter FZ3 will run the other way when they see these forums.And of couse many of us will go with another company in the future when we decide to buy a new camera. REMEMBER Panasonic you need to build a base, AND word of mouth (or on a forum) is the best salesman you have!

Dliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2004, 6:57 PM   #2
TCB

I agree 100%. It's all about support in the end.

TCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2004, 7:55 PM   #3

I agree up to a point and that point is that no other camera maker has been able to produce the quality camera Pansonic has with the fz series for $500US and less. (The fz20 will be at near $500 soon after its release.) How much is that "support" you insist on worth? $100? $200?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2004, 7:59 PM   #4

I think Panasonic Bob said Panasonic would release firmware update if there was an actual bug. Not something like the EVF (because it is, in some cases, a useful feature). But real bug, something that wasn't intentional (like it crashing when you do something). And so far, there has been none in the FZ10.

If the FZ20 has what you want, and whatever the problems with it don't matter to you. Why not get it? If it is good enough already, why do we need really good support?

Even if a new version of windows comes out, you don't need to worry about that. Just get a $5 SD card reader that would work with the new windows. (that is the only example I could think of...)

From what I hear, panasonic's warrenty repair isn't that bad.

So as long you don't mind not getting any new features from what there is when you buy it, why not get it? Of course if you want it to always support the newest technology or want more features than what it currently has, then don't get it (don't expect for a firmware upgrade to RAW or anything like that)...
blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 1:18 AM   #5

Hmm, can you elaborate when the darkening EVF (as described in countless posts) is really a useful thing? I cannot imagine one.

I've decided to mostly stay away from these firmware posts, because I've reasonably made my points and life's too short to waste trying to convince others I'm right. :lol:

But this one made me take a double-take, because I know I'd sure appreciate a brighter EVF at night. Even taking shots of the boys playing in the dark in my backyard - I know I can get the shot, but the blasted dark EVF ... oops, I'm regressing again.
cageyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 1:30 AM   #6

Panasonic Bob is a Panasonic Puppet Bob. The only thing that comes out of his mouth is thank you for your inquiryblah blah blah the Fz10 has no BUGS. No firmware fixes.

What can you expect from a company that thinks this just another kitchen appliance, stereo equipment and cell ohones.

playlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 1:56 AM   #7

blinblue wrote:
Quote:
I think Panasonic Bob said Panasonic would release firmware update if there was an actual bug. Not something like the EVF (because it is, in some cases, a useful feature).
[...]
So as long you don't mind not getting any new features from what there is when you buy it, why not get it? Of course if you want it to always support the newest technology or want more features than what it currently has, then don't get it (don't expect for a firmware upgrade to RAW or anything like that)...

Blinblue, as I understand it, the problem is:

- The EVF darkens in manual / macro mode, preventing the camera from being used at its full potential.

- This is not unavoidable, not actually neccesary, is a simulation caused by the camera's software and can be fixed through fimware.

- Given the two above, the EVF darkening issue can already be described as a bug.

Perhaps some users could feel that it is useful and don't want to change it. In that case, they could keep it as it is. But lots of people, who really like their FZ10, are just trying to be able to use them in manual / macro mode, which are already in the camera (nobody is asking an upgrade on such things) and two of the reasons to buy it. Again, what this is about is taking advantage of everything this camera can do, this is not newest tecchnology at all. And what some users are asking from the firmware fix is being able to turn on/off this feature, as it is being called. That would benefit everyone, and, how difficult would it be?

Furthermore, it seems that Panasonic actually fixed a similar problem in the FZ1 via firmware upgrade: read what EffZeeOne wrote in

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...m_id=23&page=2

Feel free to correct me if any of the above is wrong.
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 4:54 AM   #8

In summary the EVF feature is for point & shoot users. Basically it shows you that the shot won't work - fine for full-auto jockys, but not for semi-professional. At least you should be able to select dumb user mode or dumb camera mode.
StormyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 6:28 AM   #9

StormyKnight wrote:
Quote:
In summary the EVF feature is for point & shoot users.

No, under normal conditions it's very usefull when using manual control as you can see how different settings for aperture and shutter time affect your shot. When the camera detects the use of flash it should brighten the EVF as it's only used for framing the shot, sadly it doesn't.....
Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 6:47 AM   #10

How much is support worth, Thats a good question. To answer that just ask yourself what the big camera makers are charging. In most cases nothing to get firmware. Canon, Nikon, Minolta, ect... all have posted firmware upgrades at no charge for even their newest cameras. There are known bugs with the FZ10 that panasonic chooses to ignore, but tries to fix in new cameras (ie. fz15 & fz20) hoping we will upgrade to the new cameras. But thats the thing, we all have new cameras in the FZ10. So the question should be is the kind of support you want is to toss your new camera and buy another newer one to fix known bugs.
Dliver is offline   Reply With Quote