Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 26, 2004, 7:22 PM   #1

I've got a few questions here.

I'm getting my FZ10 on Wednesday, then also ordered an extra battery from batterybarn, then a Transcend 45X 512 MB card, and a Hoya 72 mm UV Filter/Lense protector.

So, a few questions. I have to use the lens hood with the filter, right? And the lens hood is more of an inside thing, right? My question is this. I plan on using the protector/hood all the time, for the protection, and UV filter outside. Will always using the hood outside create a problem, and will always using it inside create a problem? Now the UV filter won't create a problem inside, right?

Are my product choices good ones? Anything I should return (besides the camera, I know the bad and good points).

This is my first digital camera, and my first camera really that I plan on using extensively. I'm a bit of a techno-geek though, so I should have no problem learning the ins-and-outs (I build computers).

Anyway, I plan on using it for indoor and outdoor shooting, probably initially all in automatic mode, and later playing with some manual stuff. Any other accessories I should buy, like an external flash or anything like that? I'll be getting a case, just want to go someplace local so I can be sure it'll fit all my gear unless someone has some recommendations.

Well, that's it. I'm new to this, so any advice I should know (I've read up on the camera for 20+ hours, so I think I know most about it, but I'd like some user-input).

Thanks for the help.

EDIT:

Will I have the lense hood troubles as described on this website?
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2004, 10:11 AM   #2

To be honset, the lens hood is oversized and adds unnecessary extra expense by having to use 72mm filters. I've just obtained a Raynox RT5264P 52mm adaptor and I plan to leave it attached to my FZ10 pretty permanently, with a skylight filter to protect the lens. The Raynox adaptor has the advantage of placing the filter just beyond the fully extended lens, when powered up, making it a much more practical solution.

Raynox site: http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/digital/fz10/index.htm

There is another adapter you can get, but you have to deal with the Japanese maker directly as he has them made as a custom job; they actually look better, I feel, and he has variety of sizes available 52, 55 and one other I can't recall offhand, but I didn't want to spend more than I had to (the Raynox cost me £9.99, here in the UK). Hopefully someone who can remember the site will point you towards these ones and you can make you own mind up.
YenRug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 11:06 AM   #3

Hi,

The hood is indeed oversized to be a permanent filter adapter, especially when it comes to taking pics with the internal flash.

Yenrug, I suppose you are talking about Mr. Yoshida's adapters... I don't know if they are still on sale. Here's a link anyway.

http://www3.coara.or.jp/~shingu_t/en...zou_hikaku.htm

Or you have Pemaraal's PD62 / PA62, which is the one I leave mounted permanently on my FZ10.

http://www.b-300.com/fz10ac.html

Hope this helps.

David
ddsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 1:01 PM   #4

I have the Pemaraal permanently on mine as well. Works great (no flash shadow and takes 62 mm filters). I also keep my 62 mm UV filter on all the time. I plan to get ND and polarizer filters soon, too (I'm new at this, having a blast).

cageyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 4:43 PM   #5

Well, I'm having trouble figuring out exactly what to buy. Can someone provide some exact links please?

I just want something fairly inexpensive, as this is my first foray into digital photography and I've already spent quite a bundle. The adapter and a UV filter/protector lense should do just fine for now. Thanks.

The pemaraal I get, but that other website (not the Japanese dude one) I'm having trouble navigating. Which one is better?

I just ordered a 72 mm one, and it's shipping now, so I hope I can return that lense protector/filter and get a 62 along with a converter.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 8:17 PM   #6

I agree with the rest here that sticking your filter on the end of the lens hood is non-optimal. I did that for a little while and found I had to keep taking it off to take flash shots, and also I got lens flare because the hood is no longer shielding the glass.

I now have a Yoshida adapter, some 62mm filters, and a Hoya multiposition rubber hood. This combo works much better.

There are at least 4 different people/companies that make FZ10 adapters. My Yoshida is a quality piece of work, but I have no reason to doubt the others.

I also eventually bought a Sunpak 383 flash, even though you pay full price here in Australia. I tried a cheaper brand but the trigger voltage was 70V. Nasty. The Sunpak trigger voltage is only 3.8V and it also makes a nice bright flash.

My final advice is to experiment a lot to find out how to get the best out of your FZ10. Start by setting EV -2/3 permanently. Later you can work out when to turn that off.

This is a good place to look for further info: http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam...-10/index.html
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 8:54 PM   #7

http://www.2filter.com/hoya/hoyauvsky01.html

So which Hoya filter should I order? I know 62 mm, because I just ordered the PD62, but exactly which is the best, cheapest filter for this application.

I'm just going to get the second to last kind:

Hoya HMC Filters, multi-coated both sides
UV haze or Skylight 1B

The 62 mm one for $22. That will work with the PD62, correct?
Old Jul 28, 2004, 4:36 PM   #8

Bump, just need to know which filter to buy, thanks.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 6:47 PM   #9

I am sorry you went thru the 72mm filter exercise now you know that camera designers do make mistakes.
You should get a UV filter it does not affect pictures indoors or outside and should be multicoated. Some Hoya's are a little pricy and not necessary, the standard $20.00 UV blue/purple package is multicoated and will do the job. Do not get the skylight it does affect colors and that is not your objective. I am glad to see that you did not order the combination adapter and lens shade. It is not flared enough and the silver model has silver inside the shade ouch! Besides the 62mm adapter, already on order, you will need a nice multi-stage rubber lens hood. I noticed the Hama model is a bit pricey at $29.00. A regular one $8.00 might cause problems at the 35mm setting but this is supposition on my part.
playlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 7:10 PM   #10

O.K., so I need the 62 mm UV filter/protector. Now, the rubber hood, do I get a screw-in one? Could you please point me to the one I should get.

My question is if I get a screw-in one, will I need a front and back threaded UV filter so I can use the filter and lens hood. Basically, I'm extremely new, and need EXACT information on what I need to get. A link would be nice, if it isn't too much to ask.

Thanks a lot for the help. Got the camera today, just fooling around with it now, very nice.

Ah, got it, sorta answered my own question. I notice certain ones have inside threading for a filter. I'm assuming a 62 mm hood accepts 62 mm filters?

Most of the hoods I see are only for 35-210 mm lenses (like the zoom or whatever), is this what I need/want with the FZ10 going to 420 mm?

Ordered the 62 mm UV. Now looking for a cheap lense cap and rubber hood. Trying to keep this all under 800. After the 72 mm debacle, it may be hard, but I may be able to return the 72 mm, we'll see.

Do I get a 62 mm lense cap? Or do I get something larger? And do I get snap-on or the push-on version?

Thanks. Once I figure out the lens cap and hood, I'm all set. Thanks for all the help everyone.