Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 27, 2004, 4:06 AM   #1

Panasonic has finnally officially released its FZ series cameras, which are now discontinued in the US, in Pakistan. Panasonic's directly selling FZ2 it to consumers for about $390 and FZ10 for $430! the prices at retail stores are lower, and u can always bargain. I have finally money wnough to buy my dream camera, through my ultra-loving and ultra-enerous sister. I know nobody's interested in this all as u're all just pissed off at the company u kept praising for the past few months.. but anyway

Will somebody please answer this question? A few months ago, on an eBay auction for FZ1, I saw an animated demonstration of the 12x zoom capability. It shouwed, that if u're sitting on one side of the football stadium, you can zoom in the audience on the other side, and zoom right in on a person and take a closeup... about 75% of the frame filled with the person's face... is it really possible? because when I saw the FZ10's zoom being tried out at an exhibition, it only seemed that i cud take a closeup of a person's face standing... at 25 feet max.... how much, in feet, exactly, can u go with the full 12x zoom for a closeup of a face?

FZ10 seems to be a perfect camera for me, even if they release a new camera every 9 months..
rameezrazzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2004, 4:33 AM   #2

There are a couple of zoom samples herethat will show you between 1x zoom & 12x. The boat in particular I think, plus a couple of the girls playing soccer @ full zoom. If you still want more zoom, you can buy an 1.5x adapter for this camera as well.
StormyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 7:51 AM   #3

Hi

Is there any chance of getting a FZ-20 here in Pakistan

may be a request/ special order to the Panasonic Dealer in Pakistan

also the price u quoted as $430 means the Paki equilant of the same?

or r u getting it from abroad?

Awais
mutated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 8:04 AM   #4

Assalamalaikum Awais.

I don't know if your're from Karachi, but here in Karachi, at Millenium Mall, Panasonic is officially exhibiting their cameras, including FZ2 and FZ10. I asked the Panasonic rep. about the newly released FZ3, 15 and 20... he seemed like he didn't know much about them, but he said "it wud take some time for FZ20... ".. that's all the info. I have right now about the FZ20's availability. Some shop owners in Saddar did say that they can get the models I want directly from Panasonic though.. you can ask them about it, or maybe contact the Panasonic rep. at the mall, they wud be there till 2nd August.

About the prices I quoted, they were originally in Pak. Rupees, I converted them into Dollars. The FZ2 is listed by Panasonic for Rs. 23,500 , but at shops in Saddar (Digicity.. etc) it's available for 20,000 (without bargaining). Fz10 is listed at 26,000 by Panasonic, with a one year warranty, but I don't yet know the prices at Saddar, although their dealer for Karachi, who was present there, said "kuch kar lengay, aap ana dekh lengay".. so that opens way for bargaining. I currently have 19,000 max., and would be meeting him at Saddar today inshaAllah in the evening. Hope he would sel it for 19,000.

If you want the number of the Panasonic rep. at the Millenium Mall, his contact details are:

Abbas Mansoor, Area Coordinator for Panasonic.

Personal Cell. No.:0300-8242353

Eail: [email protected]

Office Phone: (021) 5876683 - 84 -85

I'm Rameez Razzak, 18, you can PM me if you want.

Old Jul 28, 2004, 9:17 AM   #5

Thanx man

I hope that u get a great deal on the camera (do tell me how much did u get it from Saddar and also what about the warranty)

explore the camera and post some real nice shots here

btw I am from Lahore

so once again good luck for the deal

as for me, I think I will wait for FZ-20, lets just wait forsome early reviews

so chow for now

Awais

mutated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 2:23 PM   #6

"Sorry, I only estimated the price, the real price forFZ10 is not Rs. 26,000 butRs.35300. If you want FZ2, it is available for 26,000, but only for you we wud give it to u for 23,000."

That's what the Panasonic's dealer told me. His small mistake made me dream night (and day) about my dream camera, FZ10... but now, I can't even afford FZ2!!! I am now torn b/w two ideas... maybe get the FZ2 (at least 20,000) by taking some loan from friends... or buy a cheap used sony point-n-shoot cybershot (avaialble for around 7000) and use that for a year, and wait for the prices for FZ10 to drop. But I can't decide....

Can you advise me what to do? and btw., are you a serious n experienced photographer or just an amateur like me? And what camera do you currently use? digital, I mean.would anybody here be interested in selling their FZ10? It can be shipped to my dad in Houston, Texas, no need to ship to "some country near afghanistan". I can pay$300 for it if it's in as new condition...

;-(

One day I would own an FZ10!

inshaAllah