Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 29, 2004, 3:26 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
playlong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 237
Default

Guerito wrote:
Quote:
DunlopKR wrote:
Quote:
Just to give you some numbers regarding my pervious post

In H burst mode on FZ10 for 5 frames with 256MD SD cards:

Verbatim ~2s, SanDisk Ultra II ~2s, Panasonic ~3s
So how is that it "consistanly out performs my SanDisk Ultra II and Panasonic cards (all 256MB) in my FZ10."
The Verbatim is rated at 2MB on their own Website

http://www.verbatim.com.au/products.cfm?productID=47119
playlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 9:45 AM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 56
Default

im getting transcend 45x sd cards for my fz10, 9mb speed, Steve of this forum tested the camera with them and he said it good, no reported problems, and is most likely marginally slower the panasonic, but cost is much cheaper, im getting a 512 and 256 card for total cost 160US dollars for both...



belz
Belz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 11:57 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
sjms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,735
Default

you all really didn't expect a digicam to perfom at such high rates did you? the reality is that yes there will be variations here and there but you're not going to get the rated transfer rates available fronm any of those cards. the cameras and buffers are not designed to perform at that level with the energy available. and thats when its at the highest.

a reference to the ultra II not performing. try putting it in a camera that will allow it to "breath"

Ref: http://65.110.81.28/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-6897

Canon EOS1D m2 SD slot w/sandisk ultra 2 card

jpg- 6Mb/s

RAW- 7.1MB/s

so maybe the camera is the issue and the way it interfaces with particular cards
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 6:04 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
playlong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 237
Default

Belz wrote:
Quote:
im getting transcend 45x sd cards for my fz10, 9mb speed, Steve of this forum tested the camera with them and he said it good, no reported problems, and is most likely marginally slower the panasonic, but cost is much cheaper, im getting a 512 and 256 card for total cost 160US dollars for both...



belz
Thank you for the tip.
playlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 6:17 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
playlong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 237
Default

sjms wrote:
Quote:
you all really didn't expect a digicam to perfom at such high rates did you? the reality is that yes there will be variations here and there but you're not going to get the rated transfer rates available fronm any of those cards. the cameras and buffers are not designed to perform at that level with the energy available. and thats when its at the highest.

a reference to the ultra II not performing. try putting it in a camera that will allow it to "breath"

Ref: http://65.110.81.28/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-6897

Canon EOS1D m2 SD slot w/sandisk ultra 2 card

jpg- 6Mb/s

RAW- 7.1MB/s

so maybe the camera is the issue and the way it interfaces with particular cards
I am not a speed freak that has to tweak every second out of performanceI am an image-maker, using a 256 Sandisk regular and Dean Electronics SD card. I purchased each card for about $38.00 because Panasonic told me in writing that 2 mbs is the best I am going to get. They are performing at 1.8mb and .60 respectively. Don't you think I should remedy the situation?

playlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 8:18 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Klaas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 164
Default

sjms wrote:
Quote:
you all really didn't expect a digicam to perfom at such high rates did you? the reality is that yes there will be variations here and there but you're not going to get the rated transfer rates available fronm any of those cards.
My final words on this subject:

TheFZ10 writes a HQ 5 shot burst to a high speed SD card in 2 seconds, it takes 10 seconds to write the same burst to a normal SD card. Are we talking about slight variations here?????????????????
Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 8:56 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
playlong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 237
Default

Klaas wrote:
Quote:
sjms wrote:
Quote:
you all really didn't expect a digicam to perfom at such high rates did you? the reality is that yes there will be variations here and there but you're not going to get the rated transfer rates available fronm any of those cards.
My final words on this subject:

TheFZ10 writes a HQ 5 shot burst to a high speed SD card in 2 seconds, it takes 10 seconds to write the same burst to a normal SD card. Are we talking about slight variations here?????????????????
I understand Klass. On another subject, what do you think of my new FZ21? Actually I made the lens hood because many timeI amsticking my hand in front of the Panasonic hood or giving up the shot because the angles conflict with the sun. I did vignette in the 1x range but do not care since I never use it. I also made a bar that moves the tripod mount under the metal barrel for extra support. I still have a little touch up work on the front.



http://jerry-.smugmug.com/photos/6700249-L-1.jpg
playlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 9:04 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Klaas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 164
Default

I like it a lot! Ideal for macro photography, you can place the subject inside the lens hood! ( I assume you have a ring flash mounted inside your hood)
Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 9:37 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
playlong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 237
Default

Klaas wrote:
Quote:
I like it a lot! Ideal for macro photography, you can place the subject inside the lens hood! ( I assume you have a ring flash mounted inside your hood)
No I will make it next years project. I use the zoom to get close to subjects under 50 feet away.

http://jerry-.smugmug.com/photos/6073900-L.jpg

http://jerry-.smugmug.com/photos/6049152-L.jpg

I love that lens.
playlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 3:32 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
ImKayd1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,785
Default

I got a Transcend 48x 512 card and I'm a happy camper. Super fast writing. All for about $110.



Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 AM.