Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 28, 2004, 6:53 PM   #11
TCB

I might consider it....unless they come out with a firmware update so that my three week old FZ10 can do TIFF files....that's the biggest feature I like about the FZ20

TCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 9:06 PM   #12

Yes.

I was all set to order the FZ10 when the news for the FZ20 broke. So i'm in a holding pattern right now until I read what people here and over at dpreview post about it.

Reviews are great, but, I really am interested in what the people that buy the camera have to say about it.
Semper_Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 9:46 PM   #13

No - I have an FZ10 and am quite happy with it. I use it mostly for wildlife photography and it does a superb job. It's light, it has an outrageous lens, and it goes places I'd never get to hauling lenses and an SLR. I plan to get good use out of it until it breaks or (more likely) something appears on the horizon that just blows me away. Look at the developments we've seen in the past couple of years - I can't imagine what will be available 2 years from now. The features just announced for the new FZ-Series cameras are nice but not earthshaking.

Don
donkolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 10:18 PM   #14

No-I bought the fz10 specifically to take pictures outdoors of my kids playing ball. I just made a cd of my daughters travels around the country playing softball. The pictureswere outstanding.The people I give photos to cannot believe it is a digital camera and absolutely love the quality of the shots. I am very happy with the fz10 and will not replace it until I find another camera that gives methe same feeling I got when I first heldit in my hands.

What do you think will happen in 6 or 8 more months? The fz20 has a couple of nice features, but after allthe hoopla, it does not blow me away like the first time I saw the fz10. I am waiting for the fz30...40...50?????
Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 11:07 PM   #15

Klaas wrote:
Quote:
Guerito wrote:
Quote:
I also feel that 5MP is a bit on the low side for a 2005 model. Why not 6 or 8MP?

With 6 or 8 MP you will certainly need a bigger CCD to avoid excessive noise. A bigger CCD means a bigger lens to keep the same focal range. 6 or 8MP gives you a 20 or 40% larger (but not necessaraly better) picture over a 4MP camera.
Are you sure the noise has to be that bad? No, it's not very good on the FZ10, but here's what DP Review has to say about the Olympus C-8080..."Low high ISO noise, employs noise reduction". And that is an 8MP camera that gives you "only" twice the resolution. Also, my friends Pro1 (also 8MP) is smaller than my FZ10. I don't see the FZ20 as an upgrade path from the FZ10, maybe the FZ30???
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 11:14 PM   #16

:? I am curious about the sub-title of this post. "We need to hear from you, the silent majority!"

Who is "we" ??? Does "we" represent anyone ??? What is the specific purpose of this poll ??? and what does it hope to accomplish ???

:|
m.achure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 11:21 PM   #17

absolutely!!
andruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 4:53 AM   #18

Guerito wrote:
Quote:
Klaas wrote:
Quote:
Guerito wrote:
Quote:
I also feel that 5MP is a bit on the low side for a 2005 model. Why not 6 or 8MP?

With 6 or 8 MP you will certainly need a bigger CCD to avoid excessive noise. A bigger CCD means a bigger lens to keep the same focal range. 6 or 8MP gives you a 20 or 40% larger (but not necessaraly better) picture over a 4MP camera.
Are you sure the noise has to be that bad? No, it's not very good on the FZ10, but here's what DP Review has to say about the Olympus C-8080..."Low high ISO noise, employs noise reduction". And that is an 8MP camera that gives you "only" twice the resolution. Also, my friends Pro1 (also 8MP) is smaller than my FZ10. I don't see the FZ20 as an upgrade path from the FZ10, maybe the FZ30???
The Olympus C-8080 has a bigger CCD 2/3 vs FZ20 only with 1/ 2.5

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Therefore, the C-8080 has less noise level even with 8MP when it compare to FZ10, or 15, or 20. It would be nice if Canon, Olympus, Nikon make a 6MP, or 7MP camera rather an 8MP, because they all have noise issues on higher ISO 200 and up.
CheapPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 5:34 AM   #19

I'm amazed that, in this entire string, not one photo has been offered.

I may purchase the Fz20, but don't have much of a need for it at the moment, the FZ10 is satisfying my photog appetite wonderfully at the moment, more than the DSLR in many situations. I know that will kill some big spenders.

Of course, I wouldn't dream of saying anything without some backup. Just look for the Normcar string and you will see photos along with bragging.

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 5:40 AM   #20

I was on the verge of getting a FZ-10 when the rumours started about the FZ-20. Luckily I think, because the extra features, focus assist & tiff, are really what I needed to replace an aging film SLR. I need a camera that can take photos like the one on the left, but also at a bit further distance & on the move, in normal day conditions, like full sun through to fog as the dog shows that I exhibit in do not stop for the weather!

I already have an external flash & I hope it will work with the FZ-20, although the FZ-20 has a much better flash now it may not be necessary for the occasional party shots I take.

Finally, I'm going to wait for the reviews (and availability in Australia), but if there turns out to be issues with the FZ-20 I can't live with, then I'm stuck for an equivalent at the moment. I need (want) the 2.8 across the whole 12x zoom.

StormyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote