Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 28, 2004, 12:56 PM   #1

Considering what we know about the FZ10 with all its great features but reported downfalls (bugs)AND what we've heard aboutthe new FZ20, If you were in the market to buy a new camera, would you consider buying the new FZ20 when it is released?
banderson317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2004, 1:07 PM   #2

I probably would, since I was going to buy FZ-10 in June but the lack of stock caused me to wait and wait, until mid-July I read about the new cameras coming out. Went back to the store last week and ask about the FZ-10, they told me panasonic has stopped production so I won't be able to get that. Therefore, I'm looking forward to the FZ-20, at around the same price, I will be happy evenif it's as good as the FZ-10.
dakidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 1:57 PM   #3

Yes. I'm looking to upgrade from my fz1v2 and the fz20 is my primary choice at this point. I will keep the fz1 for its size and infrared capabilty. The fz20's af assist, 5mp, focus ring, and hot shoe among other thingsare all calling me.

Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 2:16 PM   #4

i am not buying the fz20, it will not be out early enough for my trip in mid september, so even with all the complaints, i am buying the fz10 in the next week or so....

also, there is no real review on this camera that shows potential problems, like perhaps even more noise then the fz10 since it has more mgpixels on the same size ccd...

i am pretty sure the fz10 will do everything i ask it too and be very satisfied with it....

later
Belz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 2:24 PM   #5

I'm going to buy one unless something else is released before the fall. I may wait for an objective review, but it suits my needs perfectly.

richard
krrodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 2:47 PM   #6

So far, I don't think so. I'm really disappointed that Panasonic chose to use the antiquated and bloaty TIFF format rather than the more useful and modern RAW. I pretty much shoot RAW exclusively with my DSLR and have come to realizeandappreciate the benefits. I can't see buying a new camera for the few added features that should have been included in the FZ10 anyway. The only reason I bought the FZ10 for was the 12x Leica OIS lens, other than that, I would never had considered a Panasonic but rather a P&S from a camera company like Canon or Nikon. I also feel that 5MP is a bit on the low side for a 2005 model. Why not 6 or 8MP? I like my FZ10 and plan to keep it, but if I were to upgrade, I would probably look at a camera that offers saving files as RAW.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 3:48 PM   #7

As I've only had my FZ10 for about a month and the only FZ20 feature I would like is the AF assist lamp,I do not think it is worth my time or money to upgrade to the FZ20. I'll be waiting for a couple of years maybe for and FZ30?
DunlopKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 4:08 PM   #8

How can anyone make a sensible response to such a question when there hasn't been one single review of a production camera, and the images published by Panasonic so far don't seem that special?

I can't see many people justifying it as an upgrade to their current FZ10. There are some nice features, but not enough difference.

For an FZ1/2 owner the differences might be tempting enough.

Butfor these folk andfor anyone in the market for a new camera, they shouldn't pay any attention to what has been said or reported so far, they need to see some production reviews and samples.
lawrencew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 4:47 PM   #9

Guerito wrote:
Quote:
I also feel that 5MP is a bit on the low side for a 2005 model. Why not 6 or 8MP?

With 6 or 8 MP you will certainly need a bigger CCD to avoid excessive noise. A bigger CCD means a bigger lens to keep the same focal range. 6 or 8MP gives you a 20 or 40% larger (but not necessaraly better) picture over a 4MP camera.

The new FZ20 has some nice features although 5MP on the same size CCD will lead to more noise. I am not planning an upgrade as my FZ10 is just 3 months old and is a great camera for my needs.
Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 5:06 PM   #10

I'll definitely consider it when it comes out. Right now I'm tending toward the minolta Z3 though, I like its 10fps 1024x768 burst mode, it's more compact size, better video options, silent zoom, ultra-FAST focusing, predictive focusing for action, and the fact it has 4MP on same size ccd -> less noise. The biggest thing against the Z3 is that the lens is down to 4.5 at 12x zoom, not 2.8, and a smaller LCD, but this is a sacrifice for smaller size camera I guess.

drlava is offline   Reply With Quote