Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 28, 2004, 2:19 PM   #1

so lately i hear discussion that the uv filter should be on the lens all the time?

why? is the sun light going to damage the lens? If i am outdoor taking shots should i have this tihing on?

does the FZ10 have one in the box, or do i need to buy one seperate?

thanks
Belz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2004, 2:52 PM   #2

The main reason people put a UV filter on their camera is to protect the lens from dust and scratches. It's cheaper to replace a filter than it is to replace the camera's lens. A UV filter is also used to cut haze. There is not one included with the camera.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 4:38 PM   #3

Your statement is almost 100% true. The UV only kicks in at altitudes over 5,000 feet and above. Below that it performs a protection function of keeping the front lens elementclean and taking a hit when the front of the lens meets a hard immovable object. Taking the lens into a shop and removing broken filter glass and a bent ring is cheaper then a new FZ10 lens.atement is almost 100% true. The UV only kicks in at altitudes over 5,000 feet and above. Below that it performs a protection function of keeping the front lens elementclean and taking a hit when the front of the lens meets a hard immovable object. Taking the lens into a shop and removing broken filter glass and a bent ring is cheaper then a new FZ10 lens.Your statement is almost 100% true. The UV only kicks in at altitudes of 5,000 feet and above. Below that it performs a protection function of keeping the front lens elementclean and taking a hit when the front of the lens meets a hard immovable object. Taking the lens into a shop and removing broken filter glass and a bent ring is cheaper then a new FZ10 lens.
playlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 12:05 AM   #4

Well, your statement is almost 100% true :lol:
UV filters are designed to cut light at approx. 400nm and come in different "strengths". A Haze 2 filter will cut 100% of UV and is indeed good for high altitude. A Haze 1 is a good choice for lower altitudes and will cut haze in distant views. During the summer months in the US, you will often hear the weather reporter talk of the "UV Index". That's not just for people who live in the mountains.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 9:40 AM   #5

thanks for info

i guess i will get a uv filter haze 1? since i will be mostly in low altitudes..

later

belz
Belz is offline   Reply With Quote