Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 31, 2004, 1:54 AM   #11

Come on, guys, this was all in fun. I didn't insult any particular personin the above post. I made a general statement in gest related to the comic photo pose. I promise to try to keep out of your hair here from now onas things seem to be getting a bit touchy.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 5:01 AM   #12
RMC

Ithink weve all had a chance to make our points, so now is the time to put this one to bed and get back to 'normal discussion'!!
RMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 9:38 AM   #13

RMC, I'll make these few replies to comments aboveand then put it to rest, honest

Quote:
PS - you still haven't told an idiot like me how to use an external flash without the evf darkening
This has, over the months, been hashed and rehashed. A number of people, including myself, have offered solutions, one being that in aperture priority or shutter priority mode the viewfinder doesn't go dark. I certainly know that mine doesn't go dark in these modes when I use my 420 Canon flash, but then again, I just snap the flash on and tilt the head to get right exposure (after chimping a bit here and there).

Quote:
but the as far as the qualities of the photo itself, it is nothing special. The highlights are very blownout and lack any detail
Hmm, and I always thought that blown out details related to exposure and technique and that any and every camera can overexpose. Thanks for correcting me on this.

Quote:
If you have some facts, Norm then state them instead of childish name calling and baiting.
Over the past number of months I have stated many facts about how I feel that the camera should be used, perhaps you missed those. As for childish name calling, I have not called any specific person a name since my little spat with Guerito a few months ago, and I apologized to him in channel for my actions. My statements are general and relate to the overall flavor of what I have been reading in the Panasonic forum. This has been, and remains, my opinion and I have just as much right to post my opinion as long as I'm not dissing or focusing negatively on any specific person.

Quote:
The fact that he decides to namecall rather than suggest solutions is because he doesn't know himself, or at least thats the impression i get
Again, re-read my post and you will see that I am not calling any specific person a name. Unlike, perhaps, what a few of you are doing here with me. I have been called a troll here andpsychologically unstable simply because I have an opinion that doesn't fall into the general flow of things in the Panasonic forum. I don't mind, I know whose really being bad in this particular situation.

Quote:
I'm getting tired of the name calling too.
Guerito, how soon you forget. Did I not openly apologize to you awhile back for my actions a few months ago? And now look, here you are telling me that I have psychological issues. And, again, no name calling in this string by me, just a general statement about the overall flavor, unlike some who have chosen to put names to their cause. Everything that you said in your post here relates to the stuff that I apologized to you about in open channel. Apparently you didn't mean it when you accepted my apology.

Quote:
Maybe it's time to remove Steve's Digicams from my bookmarks and move on to a more civil forum

Why are you taking my post here so personally? Did I even mention your name? Actually, when I posted this one I didn't even think of you because you have had some very nice things to say about the FZ10. So why this martyr act? And why do you bring up long dead issues? Maybe you might consider checking that stuff out in your psychology books.

I'm sure that my past posts and photographs have put a dent in the negative flavor of the forum as wellbecause I have personally received a number of emails by people who have decided to purchase the FZ10 and converter because they see the potential of the camera in my photographs. Now I'm sure that someone is going to charge me with being abragger. I don't see it that way. I like the camera and I don't want all of the negatives to push people away from enjoying it...period.

Well, that's about all I have to say on the responses so-far. Now I'm ready to, as RMC wisely says, put this one to bed and get back to normal discussion.

By the way, I stand by my opinion on the general flavor of this Panasonic forum as it relates to the FZ10, even though my little gull photo was more in jest than anything else.

PS - I'll try not to bother you guys any more, though. My words just get twisted and turned around so badly in this Panasonic forum.

Old Jul 31, 2004, 9:50 AM   #14

Great photo! (I didn't read all the other weird stuff) aranoid:
bruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 10:17 AM   #15

Norm, your statements were personal attacks on people; whether it is individual or a group makes no difference as an attack on a group is an attack on the individuals in that group.Discussing ideas,complaints, or technical problems is very different from attacking people - do you see the difference? You have begun two threads recently that were direct personal attacks: your crybaby thread and this one. What meritdo you find in that kind of personal attack? You have pretty much stated that thosewho have complained, yet love the FZ10, are simply incompetents though you do not know them or their level of expertise at all. This is name-calling and iscounter productive. I'm not sure why you take criticism of the FZ10so personally - perhaps you have too much ego investment in a mere inanimate object. You know, it is really just a camera; there were cameras before the FZ10 and there will be cameras after it.

I have nothing against you personally, and despite my criticism of the gull photo, I have seen some fine photos of yours and I know you are a good and dedicated photographer - but it is YOU and your subjectthat does most of the job, not the camera. If your FZ10 broke and you had to use another camera I'm sure you would still be able to take great pics.

It makes for a much more pleasant and congenial atmosphere when people restrain themselves and refrain from personal attacks - there is really no call for it. This forum in particular seems prone to flaming and ego conflicts that I don't see in some other forums like the Dpreview Panasonic forum or the onlinephotographers forums. I really don't know why that is. I must admit, that I have been sucked into the headset on this forum a bit and I regret any thing I have said that may have been construed as or an actual personal attack.
Clint751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 11:01 AM   #16

Now that everyone has stated their opinion in a mature, reasonable way, let's just drop this and move on.
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 11:04 AM   #17

Nope, I don't see it that particular way (if I said that Democrats are foolish because they have a strange way of dealing with terrorism, it wouldn't be a personal attack on everyone who is a Democrat, but the idea and principle itself). But I've alreadysaid my piece and I'm sure that many will disagree with me.

However...I'm going to do my best to stay away from the FZ10 debate and section because I always get peeved at what I read and end up responding with too much passion.

I vowed that I wouldn't get wrapped up in it again and have broken that vow. So I hereby pick myself up, dust myself off, and try again.

Have a good one.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 12:00 PM   #18

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
Nope, I don't see it that particular way (if I said that Democrats are foolish because they have a strange way of dealing with terrorism, it wouldn't be a personal attack on everyone who is a Democrat, but the idea and principle itself).
Woot! Finally, a non-controversial topic! :lol:

I agree with those who say this topic has way outlived its usefullness. When I was younger, I was told "Don't sweat the stuff you can't change - it's not worth your time."

Last night, I used my camera again, and remembered again why I love this camera. As for the few shortcomings, I just recognize that all cameras have them, and that the presention (or not) of a firmware upgrade is beyond our control, and not worth worrying about.

And what's wrong with the way Democrats handle terrorism? You don't think treating it as a police action and waiting for French approval before acting is better than taking the war to the terrorists?

Heh heh - I think I just stepped in it. :P

cageyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 12:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Heh heh - I think I just stepped in it.
He he, nah, you just gave me a nice morning chuckle, thanks, I needed it :lol:
Old Jul 31, 2004, 12:11 PM   #20

I know, and I wish I'd injected more humor into this whole mess, or had just stayed out. It's gone on too long and too far, and my opinion goes back and forth as I read people's comments.

I think I'll just shut up and go watch a comedy - maybe a replay of Kerry's speech.

:-)

BTW, Norm, I love your pics! This bird above is great, and another reason I love this camera. I took my camera to Banff earlier this summer and am just so happy with the results.
cageyman is offline   Reply With Quote