Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 31, 2004, 12:31 PM   #21

I liked when he referred to trees as 'cathedrals of nature'. :crazy:
bruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 12:39 PM   #22

bruin wrote:
Quote:
I liked when he referred to trees as 'cathedrals of nature'. :crazy:
LOL! BTW, he served in Vietnam?!? Who knew?!?

Man, I hear more about his war experiences in 5 minutes than I would from my dad and uncles (WW2) or brother (Vietnam) in a whole family reunion weekend. And when they would finally talk about it, it was in terms of their experiences or people they knew, never about themselves.

cageyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2004, 3:25 AM   #23

well, at least there are people who will attest that Kerry showed up and reported for "doody" (and his pay records were not miraculously "lost").
sequah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2004, 12:25 PM   #24

Whew! :-x

That was quite the discussion last night. I guess in all fairness, everyone should be able to voice their opinion on this forum. A couple of times I have read posts that I thought were unappropriate but refrained from mentioning anything.

However, in all fairness I guess now is the time to voice my opinion with the idea that maybe it is worth something.

First, of all the websites I can find dealing with photography, reviews,andforums on the FZ10, this one isdefinitely the best.Steve did an excellent job putting this site together.

Second, and specifically dealing with the FZ10 (which I do own), I am not interested anymore in the issues that some seem to think and others do not think plague this camera. I waited a long time for a camera like the FZ10 to appear on the market. Shortly after I purchasedit, Ijoined this forum.

My first impression was that I had bought the wrong camera. I was ready to sell it and get the FZ20. I guessI got caught up in the hype. What Iforgot during all theseback and forth discussionsis this camera is exceptional for its price.Iam very excited to learn all I can about what it can do, not what is wrong with it. Iam nowplanning to invest in accessories for this camera and have to thank Shene for his user guide and info on teleconversion lenses.

Also, the thought of saying enough to upset acompany rep, who on his own time tries to help us out. I do not know what panasonic bob's job is, and I don't need to. But I do not think he can change the direction of the company on a say so. Panasonic is a large corporation and having an insider helping us work through issues is better than not having him.

I enjoy this forum most when there is a sharingof ideas and techniques. I am a newbie and I need help (in more ways than this site can give according to some) I like looking at sample photos with EXIF so I can learn. If there is a problem, I like tosee ideasonhow to work around it.

Maybe this all sounds like a newbie. But if the same discussions keep happening over and over it will push people away and the forum will not be as fun.

There is a saying, "Opinions are like problems, everybody hashas one". This is just my opinion. Or is it my problem? Have a good day and take lots of good pictures!

Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 1:06 PM   #25

Everyone has their right to complain, even about the same thing more than once (freely admit that I do), but c'mon folks...the horse is dead, rotted, turned to dust, and is now a fossil. It's time to stop beating it. In case anyone missed it:

THE EVF ON THE FZ10 GOES DARK WHEN USING AN EXTERNAL FLASH IN FULL MANUAL MODE!

Yawn. Can we move on now?

I do have a similar complaint. The other day when I was taking a picture with my FZ1 and the subject was behind some tree branches I reached for the manual focus button and focus ring to better focus the subject and...wait a minute. The FZ1 doesn't have manual focus! Panasonic never advertised that! They should be FORCED to put out a free update that adds manual focus to the FZ1! Otherwise, Panasonic STINKS! I'll never buy another camera from them...EVER! I can't believe they didn't tell me about that manual focusFLAW on the FZ1!! Let me guess -- this stupid "auto-focus" thing is a "feature" so Panasonic won't fix the FLAW with the FZ1! Man, do I hate Panasonic!

-----------------

Chris
www.FZ-Club.com
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2004, 7:52 AM   #26

although the FZ10/20 maybe considred the best in it's class (being alone in its class. LOL), the Panasonic FZ series has i think a long long way to gobefore i could consider it aperfect ultra zoom camera andtoy for nature explorers.

... a perfect FZ version for me should have:

* at the very least, an EVF equivalent to that of Minolta A2. but don't forget, Minolta plans to make EVF an obsolete part of DSLRs sometime in the near future.

*compatibility to rechargeable NiMH AA and rechargeable Li-Ion CRV-3 batteries. if samsung can make it 9 typesin its V series, i'm only asking for 3 types from Panasonic.

*auto / multi level external flash compatibility like that in Olympus C7xx series

*multi angle/ tilting LCD

*CF II memory storage compatibiltiy

*at least 4 customizable buttons for frequently used features/functions by the user like that of Olympus C7xx series.

*remote control shutter release

* AF-assist system similar to Sony F828

If only Panasonic can make an FZ with above features, I'm sure ultra zoom fans would forget that there are other brands out there. :roll:

spectator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2004, 10:05 AM   #27

spectator wrote:
Quote:
* at the very least, an EVF equivalent to that of Minolta A2. but don't forget, Minolta plans to make EVF an obsolete part of DSLRs sometime in the near future.
Never seen a DSLR with EVF......

What would you be willing to pay for your version of the "perfect" FZ? (mine would be different in many aspects of yours of course)
Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2004, 4:32 PM   #28

Quote:
The highlights are very blownout and lack any detail. That could have been overcome my spot metering on the highlights.
Actually the highlights are not blown out (that takes 255,255,255) but simply a bit overexposed. Proper levels adjustment below reveals plenty of detail in the highs and no true "blown out" areas meaning that the camera actually did its job pretty well and only minor level touch up in post processing is necessary to reveal what was actually captured.

Lin

Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2004, 7:01 PM   #29

EffZeeOne wrote:
Quote:
Rant....

Except Panasonic never said your FZ1 has manual focus, so that was pretty clear, and clearly a valid design intention

Whereas there was no way I could know that the FZ10 has such a valid design FAULT with the EVF darkening until I bought the camera.

You might be fed up with hearing about it, but given that the same FAULT affects the FZ20, it is probably worth continuing to raise this subject so that unsuspecting FZ20 purchases perhaps have some advanced warning and make their decision accordingly

SO, least anyone missed it

THE EVF ON THE FZ10 AND THE FZ15AND THE FZ20GOES DARK WHEN USING AN EXTERNAL FLASH IN FULL MANUAL MODE (WHICH IS PRETTY MUCH A NECCESSITY TO USE AS THE FZ10/15/20 DONT HAVE A DEDICATED FLASH, SO YOU HAVE TO DO IT ALL YOURSELF)

lawrencew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2004, 7:45 PM   #30

SO USE IT IN APERTURE PRIORITY MODE
Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote